Gang Green Gazette: The 2015 NY Jets

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by MoonBBad, Sep 17, 2015.

1. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Week 1: Jets v Browns

Jets 28
    Browns 7

East Rutherford, NJ -- Week one is a time of equality in the NFL. Every team begins the season with dreams of making the playoffs, and eventually heading to the Super Bowl. It's true, some teams have a much better shot of achieving that goal versus other teams, but every team starts on an even playing field in week one, at least record wise.

The Jets head into the year facing many uncertainties. They have a new head coach in Todd Bowles replacing Rex Ryan, a new owner/GM in Chris Mooney, a young owner who made his money starting a major online gambling website, and a hold cast of new players. However, one thing that continues to reverberate the very makeup of this team throughout all levels of the organization is that the Jets are going to be mean, they're going to be tough, they're going to play defense, and they're going to play hard every snap. If week one's victory against the Browns is any indication, this approach could prove fruitful.

The Jets dominated much of the game defensively making it very difficult for the Browns to move the ball. They were able to keep Johnny Manziel to just 102 yards in the air and forced him into four interceptions, two of which were from a new arrival, but an old friend in Derrelle Revis. Running back Isaiah Crowell also struggled for the Browns on the ground gaining 68 total yards on 19 attempts.

QB Geno Smith looked good for much of the game, however had two costly mistakes, one of which was an interception which gave the ball back to the Jets inside their own five yard line which led to their only touchdown on the day. RB Chris Ivory ran hard all game with 79 yards on 20 attempts and a touchdown as well as 3 catches for 82 yards. TE Jace Amaro proved to be a valuable red zone target for Geno Smith catching four balls, two of which were touchdowns.

The Jets have to feel happy getting their season off on the right foot as division rivals Miami and New England also won. Next week they head to Indianapolis to take on a Colts team which beat the Bills in week one which should be a good match up.

Good game LtJustice

• Like Like x 4
  2. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

GG Chris. Good luck the rest of the way!

• Like Like x 3
  3. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Jets Seek to Return to Greatness -- New Owner and GM in Town
    [​IMG]
    Green Isn't the Color of Envy in New York, Chris Mooney seeks to change that.

His desk is modern, clean lines, simple furniture, a flat screen at the end of the room and photos of his family, his wife and son on the other end of the room. Two of the walls are glass with one that overlooks the Jets practice field so he can keep an eye on the players throughout practice. One thing is missing from his office, and that is a Lombardi trophy. The Jets haven't won the NFL's top prize since 1969 and Chris Mooney, the new owner/GM has had it removed from the office. "I don't want it in here. I think it would give me a false sense of security. Let's be real, we haven't won since the 60's, in my mind that's not good enough. I want a shiny new one."

The new owner is young, and unproven. He made his fortune through a string of online gambling websites and savvy business decisions. He's been around the game all his life, but has no experience running a football team. "You surround yourself with great people, and learn as you go. It's no different than anything I've done my whole life. I know when to listen and I know I have plenty of listening to do as we get going here."

It appears he certainly has an old school approach to building a team as his first move in free agency was to beef up the offensive line by going right after LT Jake Long and bringing in a big, blocking TE Michael Palmer. He also went and added to an already fearsome defense by by signing the speedy outside linebacker Brandon Hepburn which was one of the few areas of weakness on that side of the ball.

It will be very interesting to see his approach throughout the season to see if he tries to make any trades, and moving into the offseason what he decides to do in free agency with his available cap space. "Right now we're locked into this season and scouting the college players who we think can potentially make an impact at the next level. We want to hit the ground running this year and get to the playoffs, that is the goal. From there anything is possible."

Anything is possible indeed, time will tell if he can make these Jets fearsome once again.

• Like Like x 2