Gaol-Line Technology

Discussion in 'FIFA' started by BESHIKTAS, Feb 3, 2012.

?

Should technology get involved with soccer or not?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

What do you guys think about the goal-line technology? Should technology get involved with soccer or not?

2. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

no--...just add more refs or use replay

soccer has 22 players on the field....1 ref and 2 freaking lines man
    think about how many officials football uses for their 22 players...there is like 7 officials

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Depends on the implementation...

Soccer is a very fluid game... how are they going to stop it to check replays?

4. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

just on goals while they are running around celebrating

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

There is like... Is that English?

6. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Why wouldn't you want technology added to the game?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    there absolutely should be, considering the type of game soccer is, one goal is often the difference in the game, getting a goal called correctly is the most important thing you can do in the game, so whatever it takes to make sure that part of the game is at least called correctly should be implemented

8. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

imo it would not slow the game down at all. Because of the fluid nature of soccer, if replays on goals were implemented. It would be just like NHL with a chip in the puck and a laser barrier going down the goalline, When the ball crosses the barrier, some sort of siren would go off

9. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Not if after every close call at goal, the game was stopped for a delay to check replays like NFL's replay system works.

10. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

It would be more like the NHL with a laser to signal if a ball has completely broken the goalline.

11. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I don't get why you wouldn't use the technology it if its available. You could write an email, or you could write a letter... If its just used on whether or not the ball crossed the line fully, how often would it really be used first of all? How long would it really take to have a monitor behind each goal or between the benches. 4th official runs over, looks at a replay, yes or no? Simple. It eliminates human error and it certainly wouldn't add much more time than all these choreographed dance celebrations or players rolling around like they've been shot only to be sprinting down the sideline 2 minutes later, and when it decides a goal or no goal, it's vitally important. Just ask England...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

The huge issue the stopping play JUST to check replays, if replay is done, It will need instantaneous.

Just check while dancing thing wont work because they will not be able to call back a goal given, only add a goal not counted as a goal.

Lol said that in the post above the one you quoted but just thought about something on that matter. There could be a potential issue with using NHL technology for it because i dont think the whole puck has to cross the goal line, just a portion of it to count as a goal.

With the whole ball having to cross the goalline in futball, i dont know if there is a technology yet like that. If its just a simple laser trip barrier, then a foot or the goalie could set it off.

Which brings me to another issue. Hockey pucks are solid rubber, and it doesnt roll, it slides. Meaning very easy to stick something inside it without affecting movement at all.

Putting something inside a hollow rolling ball could pose problems, you would have to counter balance it in alot of spots to prevent wobblies etc. One good gerrard kick could possible break it and all of a sudden, something the refs now relies on doesnt work, and that would add in all sort of drama.

***By no means an expert on the subject, honestly dont know what im talking about so i could be dead wrong. Just blabbing off the top of my head*****

13. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Not that it's vital to your argument, but hockey's same as soccer. Entire puck must cross the line. It is a little easier to see maybe with the black puck, red goal line, and white ice. If the puck is completely across, you can generally see a sliver of white between the puck and red line.

But anyways, what's the most it could take for the 4th official to have a monitor near him between the benches? If it's a close decision, he walks over, watches a goal line camera like the NHL has, and says yes or no. Add on a couple minutes of stoppage time if it's really that close of a call it needs a couple looks at it? I just think when it comes to goals, with it being as difficult as it is to score a goal and one goal meaning so much, if you have the technology available to be 100% sure, why wouldn't you use it.

14. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

thank you for clarifying that the technology is there already in hockey for the whole puck crossing the line.

Speaking of hockey. Does a ref make the siren go after a goal or is an automatic thing done by computers?

My ONLY issue with this in soccer is the only time they will have to use it is when the ball is in play meaning the ref will have to stop play, kill any momentum and any strategic advantages they had on the ensuing counter attack.

Correct me if im wrong but a goal is a goal, you can visible see the ball in the net. The only ones that will need this replay is are the ones that were almost goals, 9 times out of ten, rebounded back to the offensive team or cleared by a defender but still in play. Only few of the "close calls" end up OOB which would stop play in it self and wouldnt be an issue to check.

What ref would stop play to check a goal when the offensive team regained possession in the PK Box and it unfair to let the team have another shot at goal, THEN stop play to review the first.

If play was stopped to review, how would a rekick spot be determined and would it be a direct or indirect kick.

Im sorry, i know im rambling, I am all for this but to give a sport technology that forces stopping the play in a game that prides itself on continuous action kinda muddles things

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  15. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

No worries bixox. Again just to use the NHL comparison because it's the closest there is. If there's a close call on whether the puck crossed the line and play contiunes, the refs will wait until the next stoppage of play and then go to the scorers table to check the video replay. So if the puck appears to barely cross the line and a defender clears it just in time and play continues, the refs will wait until the next stoppage like an offsides or whatever, and then go check. If it turns out the puck did cross the line, the goal counts, they'll check the time on the clock and set it to then and face off again and off they go.

In soccer it would probably be a little different, like you said balls cleared off the line are usually cleared out of bounds or the defending team takes control and starts moving up. I see it being handled like an advantage call. If it's a close goal or not and the defending team takes control or clears it, they can check right away. If the attacking team regains control right away, the ref can wait until either the ball gets cleared or the defending team gets control. Then blow the whistle, go check, and see whether it was a goal or not. Again, it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes tops. If play continues for a minute or two before defending team takes control, add a couple minutes stoppage time.

16. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    i completely disagree with any idea of stopping play to review this...the continuous play of soccer is a rather significant aspect of the game. notice how they never treat injuries on the field, they immediately get the player off the field so play can resume unless its really serious. stopping play to review goals would kill the flow of the game and shouldn't happen. major difference between soccer and hockey as hockey has many stoppages built into play as it is, soccer has so few.

i really don't think the technology even has to be all that difficult. you could essentially build a camera into the post at each top corner to look straight down the goal line, indent it into the post a centimeter so its protected from getting hit with the ball, and voila, you've got a perfect eyesight down the goal line from either angle. in any instance, it would take one person all of 5 to 10 seconds to look at each of these cameras to determine if the ball crossed the line. all the referee would need is a tiny earpiece to get a yes or no call. if the play continues for 5 seconds after the ball crosses the line, its not difficult for the ref to blow play dead then and signal a goal. the only reason play would need to be stopped is if the goal is actually called, otherwise the teams keep playing and flow is uninterrupted.

• Like Like x 1