Gary Williams retires

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by ryalaman, May 5, 2011.

1. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Hold me. The man is a living legend. Maryland basketball won't be the same without him.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

agreed, who didn't like Williams? The man worked hard and poured every ounce into coaching while getting the very best out of his players

3. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

will Be missed next season, the Maryland Bench will have a Huge Hole to Fill. any names out yet to succeed him yet??

4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Sean Miller is the name thats popping up EVERYWHERE. Depending on who you believe, the UMD AD is flying out to Tuscon tonight or Sean Miller is coming to College Park. Either way, there's a lot of smoke there right now. And he would obviously be a home run hire.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Whats the big deal? Maryland is irrelevant even in a weak ACC.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Dont think Miller would leave U of A for Maryland, but way to think too highly of your program Maryland fans.

7. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

lol? Arizona and Maryland are very comparable jobs. Maryland is probably slightly higher regarded in the coaching community. He's obviously built something at Arizona but everyone at Xavier and Arizona who talks to him thinks that Maryland is his "dream" job. I'm not saying it will happen or anything, but a lot of insiders on the Zona boards are freaking out and there are some good vibes on the MD ones (including Scott Van Pelt chiming in with some good news).

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Lateral moves aren't what coaches of Miller's degree look for in a new job.

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I don't disagree there. It would be odd for him to move. There is significant interest there tho. Miller (reportedly) has a horrible relationship with his AD and (again) has considered UMD his dream job. I don't know how likely it is... but there's no reason to insult Maryland fans over this. Plenty of people (both at Zona and UMD) are hearing things.

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

Didn't mean to insult anyone, just made a quip because Maryland fans (and UofA fans for that matter) still think it's 1998 and their program is one of the top 10 in college hoops, when clearly a mid-level ACC team or Pac-10 team is nowhere near being in the top 10, especially with how weak those conferences have been in recent years. Guarantee you if you ask 100 high school students right now, a majority would think teams like Butler/Xavier/Mid-Major de jour are more relevant than Maryland.

But luckily for you Maryland fans, there is history there so the ship can be righted (same with UofA, which looks to be on that trajectory with Miller)

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Honestly, I think both Arizona and Maryland are top 15 jobs in America right now. They're both 2nd tier programs after the 1st tier blueboods. The results for both programs haven't been great recently (with the exception of this year for Zona and last year for Maryland) but they're both really good jobs. Finishing middle of the road for a few years in the ACC or Pac10 isn't a kiss of death. EVERY program has a few down years.

12. Bl0ndeRedHead

A top 15 program doesn't go 8 straight years without getting past the 2nd round of the tournament. At least Arizona's been to 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 since the last time Maryland got to the Sweet 16 (2003). But without trying to sound like an ass or anything, Maryland isn't a top tier or 2nd tier program anymore in my opinion. This is currently. They have the tradition and history to get back up to that level with a few good seasons and an ACC title or two, or a run to the Elite 8 or Final 4. Their problem is mediocrity. They aren't bad, by any stretch, but they haven't been an elite team with multiple elite players in almost 10 years. To me, there's nothing worse than having my favorite team be the perennial "we'll make it to the tourney and possibly get 20 wins, but there's no way in hell we win a championship" and there's lots of those teams out there unfortunately.

13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The tournament is a fairly poor indicator of a team's success. We have been very unlucky with the tournament. Buzzer beaters, bad calls, drawing the absolute worst teams possible and the like. I still believe with all of my heart that we play for a national title last year if Korie fucking Lucifer doesn't hit that shot. And obviously one of Zona's Sweet 16s was incredibly fluky. They really didn't deserve to make the dance that year. And I'd argue that an ACCT title and an ACC reg season title are also fairly relevant. That said, its been tough recently for BOTH programs. Zona has had better success overall probably... but Maryland has a better media market, recruiting area, and facilities. Its close between the two programs. There are a number of coaches who think Maryland is a top 10 job in America... I won't go that far, but there is a LOT to like about this job. I love Gary, but he wouldn't deal with AAU coaches and that hurt us. That doesn't mean that the programs ceiling is any lower.

14. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

And I'm not trying to take a dump on Arizona or anything either. That's a rock solid program and (as I said before) I think its a top 15 program.

15. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Just don't be calling Tubby.. Not that you guys would even want him (y)

16. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Pretty sure that's just Vitale being senile. If we hire Tubby I may just give up on life.

17. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Whoa, nice shot at Tubby and the Goph's.. lol

18. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Haha. Not a shot at either I promise. I just don't want a 60 year old coach without any major recruiting connections in the area as the coach. He's a good coach and all, but a terrible fit for Maryland.

19. Bl0ndeRedHead

I'm a Penn State guy, but Villanova is my bball team, so shit on Arizona all you want lol. My only point is that if I were a coach I'd rather be at UofA (the only school besides UCLA that can recruit the top talent in Cali) than Maryland.

20. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Nova? I came up for the game this year. That 19-0 run from Nova to come back from double digits and then put it away was one of the most depressing things I've ever witnessed.

And Arizona recruits plenty of top talent in Cali. But PG county alone (the county where UMD is located) has produced more McDonalds all-americans than any other full state in America recently. And obviously there's an amazing amount of talent in Bmore, DC, and Virginia in addition to the big basketball academies that are close by (Montrose Christian and Oak Hill among others). Look at the NBA all-star teams and you'll find an incredible number of those guys from the area. With the right coach, I think Maryland ceiling in terms of recruiting is higher than Arizona's.

And (kind of on topic-ish) Sean Miller is meeting with Maryland tomorrow. Conflicting reports as to the location (either Las Vegas or College Park) but a meeting is happening and the general consensus among insiders at both schools is that he accepts if offered the job. Obviously things can change, but that's where it is now.

21. Bl0ndeRedHead

I was just saying, schools that are elite enough to get the top talent in the southwest: UCLA, Arizona...

Schools elite enough to get talent in the Northeast: too many to count

22. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'm not disagreeing with you. The floor for recruiting is higher at Arizona than at Maryland. But the ceiling is still higher at Maryland. You may lose some kids to Duke or Villanova, but there's so much talent that a coach who develops the right relationships would be able to pull down consistent top 5 classes. I think the jobs are similar... but screw it. The reports are very very encouraging right now. At this point I think I'll be surprised if Sean Miller isn't the coach by Monday.

23. Bl0ndeRedHead

24. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Yeah, shit blew up around midnight last night. No one knows what happened. He told everyone that he'd take the job if offered and his wife was doing the same. He's an evil genius who took our program for a ride for a few bucks. Either that or there's also a story about how Nike called him up and told him they'd make his life hell if he left Arizona for Maryland. That's what happens when the only program to ever leave Nike Elite brings the owner of Under Armour to a Nike coaches convention to steal one of their top coaches I guess.

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

I just think it was Miller fucking with UofA to give him more money on an extension, don't know if he ever really planned on leaving.