GBN NCAA 12 Format Poll

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CLW, May 24, 2011.

1. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

We have 7 weeks left before the release of 12 (+ the time it takes to get the rosters and sliders). I think it is time to get our setup agreed upon for next year.

I believe all of you have indicated you are back for 12 (let me know if you decide otherwise or I am mistaken)

With the new Coaching Career mode I see several potential "formats" for the GBN next year.

#1 - Everyone starts out as a 1 Star Offensive/Defensive coordinator at a really crappy school/team. (Think Sun Belt / MAC). From that point forward you can advance or get fired based on your performance in the dynasty. Basically, it would be the GBN Coaching Career dynasty. The + are being able to use the new Carosel feature. The - would be it would be highly likely that very few of us would end up in the same conference and thus less User v. User game. However, I could make it a rule that you must schedule 2-3 user games per season. I suppose I could also limit the job opportunities are are able to accept but I think that would defeat the purpose of the Carosel.

#2 - Everyone starts out as a 1 Star Head Coach for a really crappy team. Same as above only HC instead of OC/DC. I'd need to check but I think there were 9 brand new head coaches at non-BCS schools for next year. Perhaps we could all start out at those schools +3 other bad jobs. Or we could all start out as HCs at the 12 worst schools in the game.

#3 - Original GBN Format. I think I discussed this above but basically it would be 3-4 BCS conf and the only available teams are the 3-4 worst teams in those conferences (SEC, Big 10, PAC 12, ACC). You would NOT be able to switch teams/jobs during the dynasty.

#4 - OLD GBN Format WITH Carosel - Basically #3 + the ability to get hired/fired at other jobs in the Carosel.

#5 - GBN 11 Format - Basically same as this year. We ALL take teams from the Sun Belt or MAC (or some othe weak conf). No job changes.

#6 - GBN 11 Format With Carosel - #5 except you could change jobs leave the conf with the Carosel.

Let me know your thoughts/preferences or if you have some other idea that the group may like.

Right now I personally am leaning towards #1 as my favorite format. I like the idea of being somewhat at the mercy of your CPU other coordinator at least initially. I think it would/could provide an extra challenge until you get your 1st HC job. Of course the GBN v. GBN games would be regular head to head matchups.

My only "concerns" would be how do we guarantee enough user games to keep things in check. Sox has basically crushed me in this dynasty and kept Kent St. from becoming really good. I'm a little worried that unless we have some sort of minimum user game rule that we will all end up at great jobs and taking up the top 15 of the rankings every season.

2. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Just thinking further here. If we did the OC/DC career mode from crappy teams I would likely limit your choices to the 6 worst offensive and 6 worst defensive teams which would likely be along the lines of:

OC: Buffalo (MAC); Memphis (C-USA); Akron (MAC); New Mexico State (WAC); New Mexico (MWC); San Jose State (WAC)

DC: East Carolina (C-USA); Eastern Michigan (MAC); UNLV (MWC); Rice (C-USA); Tulane (C-USA); LA Lafayette (Sun Belt)

3. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

I love 1 and 2....if we do 2 we have full control of building our schools...so i will choose 2 until further things develop and ideas

4. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

I like 2 also....I was thinking maybe pre-determin a conf or 2 that we would be moving into...say...ACC, SEC or whatever so we would have more user games, I was also thinking that once we get to a big time school and have a high prestiege rating (stay there 2 or 3 yrs) then we could make it mandatory to move back down to a small school and build them up,, this would open up the game to more true GBN style and we would not be at a powerhouse but be a powerhouse coach building up programs.

Just a thought's input needed

5. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

What I might do is divide us into the 3-4 worst conferences (Sun Belt; MAC; C-USA; WAC/MWC) and limit the starting HC jobs to the 3-4 worst schools in those conferences (Akron; Buffalo; EMU / WKU; NTU; Lafayette / Tulane; Rice; Memphis / Wyoming; New Mexico; UNLV / SJSU; New Mexico State; Utah State). This would still give us user games and provide the initial challenge of having to build your Coaching Career up.

6. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

I vote #2 as well, and would second the motion for job changes after you get to be a 5 star program. Like CLW said, once you get established with a powerhouse team, it runs itself. You never regress or have to start over. We even talked about this idea back in last year's GBN.

7. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

So it looks like the consensus is #2 - Take over as a HC at a crappy school and then be able to build your career as you see fit from there? I'll likely try to add on some rules/guidelines on jumping ship.

Off of the top of my head I MIGHT make everyone fulfill their current contract with the school (i.e. you can only leave when your contract expires). To make it a little more difficult to get to the big boys.

8. Proof21

Proof21 Walk On

I vote for 2 also..

Not that my vote matters.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey buddy... How's it going... Good to see you around.

Take off your shoes and make yourself comfortable, maybe add an avatar or something lol....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roadhouse

Roadhouse Walk On

It matters if you get your punk ass back in this league next year! How's daddy duty treating you?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Proof21

Proof21 Walk On

Going good! Just been busy with work and the little guy..but I will be around here more often.

I should get an avatar shouldn't I? :D

12. Proof21

Proof21 Walk On

I should join the league..I miss playing with you guys. Which original members are still around, just you and Cdubs?

Daddy duty has been a blast..he turns one next month, just seems like a few weeks ago he was born into the world..been the craziest and best year of my life.