general dynasty question

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

general dynasty question

I know we have all seen what's listed below before. My question is why is there a weight restriction on positions? I can accept speed restrictions but in the dynasties I am playing, both online and offline, I have seen FBs and LBs being recruited as low as 194 lbs. One online dynasty, I checked 70 of the 120 teams and 9 teams recruited 10 FBs that weighed between 194 and 219 lbs.

Has anyone else seen this or seen it with other positions?

Position Changes
    Pos Notes
    QB: No Restrictions
    RB: No Restrictions
    FB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90

WR: No restrictions
    TE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90

OL: No restrictions
    DT: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 265 lbs
    DE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 225 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 90
    OLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 210 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 92
    MLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 215 lbs
    Speed restriction < 92

DB: No restrictions
    RET: Restricted
    Speed Restriction < 93

2. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

didn't notice it until you pointed it out to me the other day. I looked at the Russel top 100 and found a lot of players didn't meet the req's. Went ahead and changed ours. Biggest changes was with FB, TE, and DT. Even saw some DT's lower than 250 and saw some DE's lower than 220..... but it was very few. I think these new req's will fit very well.

QB No Restrictions
    RB No Restrictions
    FB Restrictions
    Speed Restriction < 90
    WR No Restrictions
    TE Restrictions
    Speed Restriction < 90
    OL No Restrictions
    DT Restrictions
    Weight restriction > 250 lbs
    DE Restrictions
    Weight restriction > 225 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 90
    OLB Restrictions
    Weight restriction > 210 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 92
    MLB Restrictions
    Weight restriction > 215 lbs
    Speed restriction < 92
    DB No Restrictions

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Those requirements are for recruiting. They're for position changes.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    To correct what Mors was trying to say, they are for position changes not recruiting.

Additionally, you are probably referring to the weight changes that were established for '09. I have updated The Deuce's to reflect closer to what 2010 has to offer.

The point is so that you can't recruit a player at WR and switch him to FB or TE and have him be the best incoming freshmen at that position. We wanted to restrict the best players at each position to player's natural positions. If that makes any sense at all.

They aren't the gospel of dynasty rules, what everyone is using for rules threads is a template that I created based off of 2009. So, each dynasty is free to adjust as they please.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Drifter>The ones you are referencing are lower than the ones I pointed out. The ones I pointed out are from I think 2 dynasties I am in, Lee Flex posted his which is the 3rd dynasty I am in on here. If I use yours based on the rosters the dynasties I am in are using, Joe Capp of Pitt should not be a FB. I am Pitt in one of said dynasties. He is 90 speed and below 220 lbs. I don't like getting walkons, even though every rare time you get a real diamond in rough. So I position change as needed. 2 ATH went to CB, 1 FB to HB, 1 HB to FB, 1 WR to HB, 1 SS to CB. First question based on what you see here would you accept the position changes?

The FB to HB was 195 lbs 90 speed poorly rated as FB, could not block
    The HB to FB was 195 lbs 89 speed in 70s ovr rated as FB, could block
    The WR to HB, HB was his best position by 7-10 points
    The SS to CB, better rated CB, would see playing time there.

The new HB now starts (backup FB before), the new FB is the backup FB(4th string RB before), The converted WR to HB is the backup(4th/5th WR before). The converted SS to CB is the nickel CB(3rd or 4th SS before)

I don't position change to violate the sim aspect of the game, there is no fun in that. I just believe the best players should be in at the best positions.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    What if you recruit a 5'11 WR with A- speed and you position change him to FB and he is a 89 OVR?

The point is to keep the recruited players where they are supposed to go and not cheapen the game by excessively switching guys around. The CPU wouldn't make the position change suggested above. We are just trying to level the playing field.

Remember, this doesn't apply to players that are recruited for their natural positions. If you find a 5'4'' 166 lb FB with A+ speed and get him to sign, by all means you are free to use him.

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I did keep recruited players where they were supposed to go. The only 2 players that needed positions were the ATH players.

I wouldn't recruit an A+ speed player with the intent of moving him to fullback, unless he could block, by block I mean low 60s would be a good starting point.

Just like I would not recruit an A+ speed player and move him to QB, because if the guy can't throw, a team is screwed because running the option can only get you so far.

Which position change would the computer not make? I don't see which one it is.

8. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

For the most part, I think we all have been around enough football to categorize ATH's to their specific spot. There will be some tweaner's, but we just have to try and make the right decisions to keep the legaues realistic and sim style.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I did not say you didn't keep recruited players at their natural positions.

That isn't what we are talking about. I was obviously exaggerating an example. What I was saying is that if you sign a recruit who is a FB, it doesn't matter how ridiculous his attributes are. He is a FB and can play FB on your team. But if you recruit a 5'10'' 170 lb SS (say 86 OVR) with ridiculous stats and want to move him to DE (where he is say a 92 OVR), you wouldn't be allowed to do so. The best incomming freshmen at a position should be at their natural position.

Also, keep in mind, just because you wouldn't do something, doesn't mean your somebody else won't. The rules are there to protect everybody in a game that doesn't take a lot of things into account.

The example I made in my post.... this one:
    Exactly. I wasn't really talking about ATHs at all, though. In The Deuce we allow ATH to bend the rules by about 20 lbs, 2" and 2 attribute points during position changes.

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I wasn't talking about ATH's either, they only came up because of they were players I had pos changed after recruiting.

My original was about the weight restrictions and how they apply esp when the game allows us to recruit FB, TE, LB that are below the weight restriction. I have no problem with having restrictions like speed, for example, but weight restrictions don't necessarily make sense to me.

The reason I brought it up was 2 players I switched that weren't ATH's. They were on the team year 1 of online dynasty, they were not recruits.

1>The FB to HB The FB weighed 195 lbs, could not block, very low rated FB was solid rated RB though so I switched him. He now starts at RB

2>The HB to FB. The HB wighed 195 lbs, could block, 4th string HB, about the same rating as FB, now backup FB, since I only have 2 TE and the fact he can block he could be my 3rd TE in goal line situations.

I know this doesn't always happen, but I like my FBs to have an over 59 ratings for blocking.

Drifter's quote> But if you recruit a 5'10'' 170 lb SS (say 86 OVR) with ridiculous stats and want to move him to DE (where he is say a 92 OVR), you wouldn't be allowed to do so. The best incomming freshmen at a position should be at their natural position.

My reply>I agree with that 100%, however, I wouldn't be surprised if people when seeing the recruits for certain pos, like FB for example, recruit a 3 or 4 star TE so they wouild not have to deal with recruiting a 1 or 2 star FB.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The weight requirements aren't meant to be exact. They are there to severely limit the amount of players that qualify for a position change. Thus, purposefully making it more difficult to move players around and limit exploitation of game AI.