General Gameplay Banter

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by JFace907, Oct 22, 2012.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lets shoot the bull on the forums for a second (get that post count up and whatnot). How is 2K playing for you guys thus far? Is the CPU competitive enough? Anything that you've seen a little too much of that should be held back to promote sim play? Or is everything just peechy keen?

My take is that i love the game thus far. I love the simulation sliders for actually giving the referees a place in the game. I've benifited from the refs and i've also been screwed the three blind mice. I love the new control format and the new skill traits. The skill traits are implemented perfectly to where they aren't cheesy or arcadey. That's a relief for me as i thought they would be over the top the moment i read about them. I think that there may not be enough charges drawn in the game (especially by those with the charge card), but that is my only gripe thus far (and its not even too big of one).

What say you?

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I love the way the game plays so far. About my only gripe is that I think offensive rebounding is a bit over the top but that may be due to me controlling my bigs and jumping too early for rebounds.

3. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I saw it this morning while losing to Miami. Not sure whats different though.

5. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I like how the game plays. Im struggling on the defensive side mostly. I let guys blow by me while trying to guard or get lost off the ball. Have had some tight games with the Lakers. Im sure if I was better at the game those games against the CPU wouldnt have been that tight. But overall, Im loving the league. Played quite a few games over the weekend and loved it!

6. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

I've only played 3 cpu games. 1 I lost by 20, 1 I won close and 1 I won by 20 so it's hit or miss with that.

My user games, I've had my fair of frustration but some of you guys have stepped in and helped which is incredible. I just can't seem to stop my opponent from lighting me up with 3's. Every game the points in the paint have been about equal. It's just a matter of me not hitting jumpers or getting people open. I've enjoyed the league and the game is fun as hell....... frustrating as hell at times too.

7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Don't know if i've asked this in the skype chat or not, but do you have your shot feedback on? Thats a great tool to help you improve the release timing. Also, have you ever taken your players into "Freestyle" Practice mode? It allows you to see their hot and cold spots on the court. If you can get guys in their hot spots, it works wonders in improving your FG%

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

They put stars with all the championship years around the Lakers logo at center court.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Yeah feedback is on. I've only had 1 game where it didn't lag as far as player movement but my players actual reactions to me was horrible so I shot absolutely SHITTY that game. For the most part my releases are fine, just not a hot spot or well defended. I've practiced a little bit with the players. Not enough to remember hot & cold spots though.

I just need to play the game more. Simple as that.

10. Dru50

How good are your PG/SG/SF at perimeter defense? It seems like good defenders do a much better job of knowing when to close out and they seem to also impact the ability of the offensive player to make open looks. Changing up your coach's "help defense" setting may help as well, but that also seems to impact the ability of your team to get defensive rebounds, as your bigs can end up more out of position because they are helping out on other guys more.

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I get hammered on the boards too, even with Howard and Gasol. I think I need to look into changing some settings.

Also do you guys use the shot stick or the old man X button? The shot stick scares the shit out of me so im sticking to the old man one button shot.

12. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Help defense is a slippery slope...... the more you help... the more your guys have to rotate back to their originial position... which makes it much harder to be in position to rebound effectively....

13. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

I had a tough game early against Dallas, but I think that had to do with not knowing my guys shot timing. I've blown out some lesser CPU teams. Playing the Heat will tell the tale. Rebounding is funny. I swear I'm getting killed on the boards, but when I look at the stats after the game it was even. It is a lot harder to box guys out this year. I've only seen one charge for my squad, and that was one I had to take myself.

A couple of things that aren't sim IMO that I've seen are spamming the X button on D trying to get a steal, fast breaking too much, and too much iso. The constant steal attempts with the X button is just cheap to me. Fastbreaks should come off steals, blocks, and lose balls. Fastbreaking on missed shots exploits the games A.I. because players don't always get back like they should, especially when the user breaks down court after the shot. Even teams that like to run a lot in real life usually outlet it to a player in the backcourt and not chuck it to a guy already down court.

14. Dru50

I'm starting to think that is why I can't get defensive boards. I usually hold teams to around 40% from the field, but I give up 12-15 offensive rebounds per game, sometimes far more. Thibs coaching setting has help defense cranked nearly to the max......

15. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

yeah help defense is dicey man.... the more you help you play great d, but you cant rebound for shit... unless you do it manually......

16. Dru50

Spamming the steal button was an issue that a guy in the league last year did, but I haven't played anyone in the league so far who has done it excessively. Admittedly I have not played everyone yet though.

17. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I go for the steal on occasion with Nash but not constantly. But I know what you are talking about. I havent run into too much of that here. And if im doing any of that stuff, please let me know. Im pretty new to this game.

18. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Rebounding also has a lot to do with your fastbreak settings and your defense. If you have fastbreak cranked up, you can get killed, because players count on the big to rebound and run down court. Zone defense can also be extremely weak at rebounding, because guys don't have block out assignments. I use the shot stick for layups, post moves, and dunks and the X button for jump shots.

19. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I dont run zone much if at all (heard it was a bit of Cheez Sorry Josh, your getting it today.) Im going to have to take a closer look at those settings I think.

20. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

I can pass in NBA too, damn it!

• Like Like x 1
  21. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Touche!

22. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

Loving the game so far, I love how you can make a guy fall. Also Pump Faking is actually worth to use for me.

23. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

So whats a good number to have help defense on to keep guys in there to rebound?

24. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

see, I had my help defense set pretty high & my team rebounded HORRIBLY.... I've turned it to basically 0 and they've rebounded "better"...still out of position or clueless on some of them but for the most part they've rebounded better.

25. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

What do you have your crash boards set to?