General Impressions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NYJuggalo45, May 19, 2009.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

General Impressions

So does anyone but me and shaun have the game yet? Impressions? I love it but want to hear what everyone else thinks

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I just scooped the game...Hoping to shoot home for a late lunch to get a few matches in!

3. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

Just got the game on lunch... now i have to sit and wait 4 hours till i can leave work...(n)

4. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

nice..that's what I want to see. Guys cutting out of work to play the game!

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm going to pick the game up within the hour, then I'll use my four days off to abuse the crap out of this game.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I wont even have a chance to play it until late Wednesday night... (n)

7. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Bruce...will you be able to play in the tournaments? Plan on starting them Wed, but if you can get your matches in Thursday, that's fine too

8. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

Same Here! I just saw on the news (from work) that my local Mall had two UFC fighters signing autographs for the games debut today. I hope to god they don't sell out cuz i didn't get a chance to pre order.

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Yea, that's how I am going to spend my 3 day weekend if my wife will let me.:)

I didn't even get to play it yesterday.

So far I am 10-6 online. The 6 I lost were pretty fair, I think I got flash KO'd once, tapped out once, and dominated by better fighters the other 4.

Highlight of my online career was a beatdown of Brock Lesnar with Cain Valasquez (sp?) in about 1 minute. Picture shoot, takedown, mount, KO.:)

10. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Me and sweetness just played 3 fights, all really close ones. The lag was bad the 1st fight, atleast on my end. The 2nd too were pretty smooth.

One thing I've noticed...submissions are REALLY hard against humans. I've actually beaten a few cpu opponents with submissions. But I had him locked up a few times and everytime he was able to escape.

Granted I was using Brandon Vera and GSP, not exactly BJJ studs, but still. Going to really have to work the ground game to get submissions I think.

Anyone else seeing similar results? Or is it my lack of ground skills?

11. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Well submissions depend on a few things. #1 your opponents stamina, the more tired the more successful your submissions will be. #2 depending on your opponents strength and submission defense, it may be difficult to make him tap. If he's got a strong fighter, button mashing will work better for him. Also you need to consider your guys submission stats as well. GSP is good, but I dunno about the other guy you were using.

12. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Good points, didn't take into account stamina. Although in the GSP v. Hughes fights we had, both guys were less than 1/2 full. I think I just need more practice honestly. I've had the game since Saturday, but between setting up the league and family crap I think I've played a total of 10 fights only. Now that the tourneys are set up and have a few days until the start of the league, I need to practice like a madmen otherwise you guys are gonna kick my ass

13. Sweetness

Sweetness Banned

Arlovski fight was fun :) on my end anyways.
    Hughes is tough to use IMO. I need to get good at takedowns, or else I will never be able to beat anyone with him. He isn't as strong as a boxer I though he was going to be, but again it isn't easy to take down St. Pierre
    2-1 so far on Juggs side, Hughes will even it out tomorrow (y)

14. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I got to play a little last night. It's going to take me a bit to get all the controls memorized. I took a guy to the ground and couldn't remember how to do submissions, I had to pause it and look at the book. :)

Could be a one and done for me in the tournament.

15. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I got in 6 or 7 fights last night. I agree with Juggs that the submissions are pretty hard to pull off. Are you guys button mashing against stronger guys and right analog spinning against smaller guys? I think that is what I gathered from Bondzai's post. I'm frustrated with this, as I REALLY want to be able to pull some subs off.

I'm impressed with the Striking game. It seems fairly realistic and apart from a few phantom punches, it is straight on IMHO. You kind of have to feel the other fighter out a bit before jumping straight in or you risk getting rocked. I really wish there was a weave button though. Similar to the the weave motion that the Boxers do on their special punch. I've been trying to concentrate on my footwork and this has helped to avoid strikes tremendously. But a weave button would be perfect for getting inside without necessarily having to throw a punch.

The ground game is still a big work in progress for me. I STILL have not done the tutorial on the full version or demo though. I'm hoping once I do this, I will be better and transitions on the ground.

Overall, I'm pleased with the game so far. My favorite part is that it actually takes skill and tactical awareness to operate effectively. Button mashers are going to get romped on in this game. Thumbs up.

16. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I played some career mode, which was not too bad. Then hopped on and played about 15 fights on xbox live. I went 10-5, got caught with a couple counter KO's and lost a couple decisions. The best part of the night was beatng down Brock Lesnar 3 times in the first round. Also fought against quite a few guys who used Rampage Jackson and won those fights with Rashad Evans. First few games were kind of laggy by after that it was very smooth. I even pulled off a couple submission wins. Overall the game is very fun and addictive. (y)

17. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

VaSteel and I had two fights last night...

Both were BJ Penn vs Karo Parisyan

1st fight ended in a 3rd round kumora sub by BJ Penn
    2nd fight ended in a 2nd round kumora sub by Parisyan

both fights were brawls though, so the fighters were tired for sure.

18. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I just caved in at lunch time

[​IMG]

19. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

It happens, I caved on my way home from work last night.

20. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Wait Rhude, you bought the game without even playing the demo or following the UFC lol.

I know you're going to be gone for a little while from what you posted in the Tradition. Are you gonna be around to do this then? You're definitely welcome to join and will be a great addition. Just want to make sure you're gonna be around.

As for questions on who you should pick and stuff, pm me and i'll help you out

21. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

How has the "lag" been in online play? I didnt even hook my XBL up last night.

22. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I've only played 3 matches, all against Sweetness. The 1st one was really choppy on my end, but he said it was ok on his. The 2nd & 3rd matches were both really smooth for me and since he didn't say anything, gotta assume the same on his end.

If ever there was a day it was gonna be choppy and stuff it was yesterday. So if their servers could support that, I think we're good

23. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

Ryno and I had lag real bad at 1st, but then it was manageable. It was actually kind of cool cause it looked like every punch was from the slow-mo replay's.

24. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yeah I'm jumping in cold..lol....I saw enough good impressions from people I trust, so I was sold on it

Yeah maybe I better hold on joining, saw a new league and got excited and forgot....bleh lol..

I'll be on for a few brawls though leading up to next month.....gonna learn this on the fly

25. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

do the tutorial, read the rules, and sign up i say. remember, unlike an hour-hour plus ncaa game, these fights last 10 mins. if you think you'll have time for say 10-20 mins every other night...sign up.