General Madden question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by KevIncredible, Sep 15, 2009.

1. General Madden question

I honestly don't play this game a lot outside of my games in this league. Actually, more honestly, I never play it. I play NCAA.

So after my first game against the Chargers where I got manhandled, I was just wondering if there was a general feel to the game I'm missing? Is the game primarily about speed? Running to the outside?

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

The gameplay is actually pretty terrible, you cant stop the run at all with basic defense. You see shag makino on the pats? He got like 200 yards week 1 and he has a garbage rating. I dunno i guess it can be stopped though because i ran alot on you but miami did a good job at containing my runners

3. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I have to disagree, i played every version of madden up to '08 then skipped '09. and now back. i think in many respects basic elements are much better than ever before.

QB pressure is not instant, Bump-n-run coverage is overpowered, I find running very hard, but im working with 84 speed hBs and an OL with a average rating of 75. I think the QB distance ratings are much needed. and the special moves have been toned down.

this game rewards staying in the pocket, and making your reads, and not just throwing it in there and assuming that it will hit your guy or bounce off a defender. it also rewards taking a sack instead of trying to get the incompletion off like older versions did.

less rocket catches, less turning on a dime or running a route full speed and then reversing.

I would say figure out how you play, are you a plain jane 2 wide 2 team, a power team, a pass deep quick strike team, a WCo. then find a PB that supports you. same for defense, zone or man, pressure or coverage, 34/46 know your personel, the Titans will not make a good spread offense, the patriots are not much of a 43 team. know when to do what. realize that fast Hbs are tough to stop, so are fast WRs some things never change.

taking matt hasslebeck and trhowing opn the run is a bad idea, trying to run the WCO with jamarcus Russell is too.

here is a list of every PB in the game for free: http://www.maddentips.com/

just need an email address and nothing else. so you can pick.

BTW im 0-2 :) so take it with a grain of salt.

4. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Good question as I also don't play this game outside of the couple I have played in this league. The extras and presentation of the game are there but gameplay doesn't seem as smooth to me as NCAA. I am having a hard time running as my backs seem to be stuck in mud after they get the handoff.

5. Hova

well i do have 2 of the best backs in the league and i always have a fresh back in so its easier for me to run

6. I felt like I did a DECENT job on defense against you Hova, I just couldn't stop the sweep plays at all. My offense was whack, outside of a few bigger passing plays I couldn't do anything. I ran terribly and it seemed like you as Merriman were automatically in Flaccos face all day. Sucked.

I play a ton of NCAA and have played NCAA and Madden for YEARS so I'm above average at least, but I don't get the intangibles of the game. Just wondering if there were any general tips or anything from the better players in the league.

7. Hova

ya i dont know why my outside runs were so successful on you, i couldnt run outside on miami at all today, only found yards in the middle

8. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

As far as madden goes - You need to just get used to the general feel. User games are made to be slower than the offline version. If you play a CPU team it will be 100% faster than it is in user to user. That being said, It really depends on how you play your game.

In one franchise - I am the bengals. Cedric Benson was a top 5 back for the first 7 weeks. He doesn't have incredible speed or a great truck stick.

Then again, in the games ive played with Chris Johnson - He has had over 180 yards a game, each game until he got hurt. Speed kills but running plays your team is strong at proves to be worth more.

As mentioned above - Throwing on the run with Vince Young is great (he has a high on the run percentage) but he overthrows EVERYONE. In another light, Carson Palmer can't throw on the run as well as Vince Young but his deeper throws are almost pin point.

The new ratings bring a different feel - no more Michael Vick being a HUGE threat throwing and running, it just isn't there anymore.

I personally like Madden more than NCAA this year... NCAA is more classic and the new Madden Feel has me hooked.

9. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

Containing the run is not that hard... I struggled with Michael Turner but Tomlinson and Sproles I kept the SD offense in check. So I feel there is a way to stall the run. While he stalled my whole offense at the same time.

10. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

every player at every position is different - same style doesnt work for every team