General Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by timroy85, Jun 28, 2011.

1. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

Just thought I would open a thread where we could discuss some ideas/questions and concerns about the dynasty before the game gets released. The demo dropped today and now NCAA is the number one thing on my mind, so lets start the hype! Here's some stuff off the top of my head.

1. What's the ideal start date? My thoughts is we should probably wait a week or 2 to work out any kinks that are needed for sliders and make sure we have a good set of rosters, including coaches names.

2. On the subject of coaches names, I think it would be cool to have coaching carousel turned on but make a rule that we can't take any other jobs. This way we could see where some Coordinators and Mid-Level head coaches get jobs.

3. How many user games per year? Should we make it so we have protected rivalries with the other side of the conference? That would make 3 automatic user games for everyone, but might limit the amount of non-conference user games we would probably want. Another idea that a lot of dynasties have on here would be a conference cup or conference challenge where we keep track of our user vs. user records as a conference and that gives us bragging rights and/or maybe extra points to use towards an extra 5* or "untouchable" recruit. On a side note, Houston plays UCLA week 1 this year in real life....

4. Should we relocate the Pac-12 CC game? As of right now the team with the better record hosts it...I think we should do it at the Rose Bowl or maybe even rotate it based on who won it the year prior.

5. Also, and obviously this is completely upto Twister18 , most dynasties have everyone contribute some sort of content to the dynasty (ex. Recruit boards, POTW, etc). If we do go this route, we should start discussing what everyone wants to do. Ideally I would like to do the draft class to Madden reports. I'm going to get Madden and would like to report where everyone's players get drafted and update stats, awards, etc.

That should get some discussion started for now....Only 2 more weeks until launch!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

1. I for one would like to start as soon as possible! If everyone wants to wait though I understand. People are Operation Sports are claiming they will have the game a week or so before the release so the rosters should be done right around the launch date.

2. I have no plan to leave UCLA during the dynasty but I don't like the idea of not being able to take other jobs. I think this new feature is something we should all experience and try out, see how we all like it, if it is implemented properly, etc.

3. Personally I'm for trying to get the most user conference games in as possible. This would make winning the conference all the more difficult if we have to play each other every year. Are we limiting recruiting? I hope not, as long as those stupid cheats that you can buy are turned off, in my opinion nothing else should be censored in recruiting.

4. And since I'm a Pac-12 school, I'm for keeping the CC just like it is. I like to play the game as realistic as it is in real life.

3. Bornthreat

Bornthreat Walk On

In our present setup, we will only have 1 guaranteed user conf game a year, but could possibly get up to 3. Twist could add more user games in our out-of-conf games, but that's of course on him. I, too, would like to have CC turned on. (kansas is not exactly my 1st school of choice) But I don't have a problem staying there if that is how we're doing it. Also, I would like to have a fast start as well as well; the gameplay has not really changed that much, so I don't really see the necessary reason of waiting a few weeks. (I would assume that we will all be chomping at the bit as soon as it drops anyway. lol)

4. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

I can't speak for Twister18 but I don't think we will be switching teams in the dynasty. I am under the impression that the goal is to build our 3* programs into 6* contenders.

On the subject of recruiting restrictions, it has been needed in sim OD's because it gets too easy to pull in 5* guys and it gets ridiculous when some teams are pulling in 8-10 of them per year. At that point, the team that is doing so gets to be so good that it isn't even fun for anyone anymore. Just my opinion though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

It'll be awhile before we get to that point, though: It's really hard to get more than a few five stars if you're not at a school like USC, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, etc.

And I'd love to eventually move teams as well, but I'm fine with staying if that's what everyone else wants. Duke was probably my 8th choice, but I think I'll eventually get them on the right track. Going to take some creative schemes on both sides of the ball before I get the horses, though...

6. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

I agree with CC. Not exactly sure how it will work, but it would be neat and sim to lose an offensive or defensive coordinator if you win a conference championship, BCS game, NC, etc. Also, it would also be nice for next March, when the game is a little stale to be able to easily switch teams if we all agree on it (or at least a few of us switch if we wish). And CC should make switching teams more realistic because you could not just go from Duke to Alabama even if you win a NC with Duke; Alabama would have to fire their coach, so if you wanted to leave your program, your selection would be limited. All round, I see CC as a huge plus, even if we don't switch teams, it will make the game more sim. If Arizona sucks, their coach will be fired and they will play a different style the next year, which would be awesome (also would help with keeping the game fresh). Probably will be up for a vote, but I say let's do it, no downside really.

I agree with waiting a week to work out all the potential problems week one, and to have a good set of rosters.

On the Pac 12 title game I agree and disagree. I think it should be the way it is in real life, with the best conference record hosting, but I also agree it is stupid, and who knows if they will do it like this for very long. I say if we change it, it should be in a Pro stadium ex. Seattle (Probably too cold), San Fran, San Diego, Denver, or Phoenix. Nothing against Rose Bowl, I just think they would put it in a more modern place, and if possible that's where we should put it in my opinion.

I agree let's do something like a conference cup and try to have something meaningful behind it.

I don't know about protected rivalries (from a staleness aspect, and from the fact same teams can meet like 4 times in 2 years potentially) , but I think we should look at having at least 4 user games no matter how you cut it.

I'd be up for weekly POTW and Freshmen of the Year on the boards.

Pumped for this game, tonight I finally get to play the demo!

7. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Great ideas gents. I will make a content thread this afternoon and that way we can sign up to do something. I always did a weekly user prediction thread called Twists Crystal Balls.

I am not for the CC. The fun part for me is playing with my own recruits.

4 user games if possible, but remember we will have a CC game, so.

8. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Slightly off topic,

what do you guys think of the demo thus far? I'm absolutely loving it! I've played about 5 games so far and I really dig the different feel each teams offense and defense has. I think NCAA 12 could be the best one in the series thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bornthreat

Bornthreat Walk On

IMO...game feels pretty much the same. These are some of the difference i noticed:
    • Kick returner felt glitchy (too quick and not smooth) i ran back 2 kicks on ALL-American. (in 1st 2 games)
    • Run blocking has improved, patient runners will be rewarded
    • Passing is more realistic, bullet pass is OUT, turbo or slide catch is OUT, bombs-away are definitely OUT. (Good work EA)
    • Running felt good, smooth and realistic
    • Tackling may be the best upgrade, no more letting the cpu do your work. Must user tacklel to be effective, but easy to miss too.
    • Defensive Zones have improved
    • Another huge upgrade is Safety Play, safeties no longer get sucked in or beat deep easily. You may think that corner route is open...
    • D-line pressure has improved, out of 3 games I had around 7 d-line sacks while just sending 4. (May have had 7 in 70 games last yr)
    Everything else felt about the same. I do feel that the game has improved; but I don't think that there will be a big or new learning curve needed to be effective in NCAA 12.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

I've only played on Heisman so I can't comment on how easy AA is but to me some of the most impressive things are: zone coverage works for both the CPU and user, DB's no longer have superhuman abilities, I'm able to get the ball to WR's down the field if they are open and I throw it correctly, tackling is much tougher but more realistic, CPU QB's take off if you leave them, blocking is significantly upgraded, linemen actually block!, also noticed that the front 4 can cause pressure and safety blitzes work if called at the right time.

11. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Twister18 I am not for CC either as far as switching teams, I was just making the point that having it turned on, not allowing us to move around, and perhaps hire and fire coordinators, would make it more true to life.

• Like Like x 1
  12. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

I agree

13. Twister18

That might be a consideration but do we know if we can hire and fire with co-ordinators?

14. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

I think that our coordinators can leave for other schools, and that we can hire and fire them. Even if we can't hire and fire I believe we should still do it for a couple reasons:

1. The idea that ajtev21 brought up about school's replacing their head coaches or coordinators due to team success. This could change the coaching dynamic and gameplay within our conferences. For instance, let's say that Paul Johnson was fired from Georgia Tech, and they hired Oregon's offensive coordinator...They would go from a triple option offense to a Spread look due to the coaching change. I personally like this because in year's past, teams that were below average were being beat by users every year no matter what. But with a change in offensive style, it would add a challenge to playing these teams every year. It also keeps the game realistic and fresh because when coaches get fired in real life, school's typically bring in a guy with different style or approach to one or both sides of the ball.

2. It would be nice to see where big name coordinators are getting jobs and/or see who replaces the top coaches when they retired. Also, they put in coach's alma mater to add an interesting dynamic to the CC.

I think we would just have to put a rule in place that no one could accept job offers unless we decide seasons down the road to (which I personally hope we don't) let people move schools.
    I feel like coaching carousel is a great new feature to use (even if we don't use it for ourselves) in a mode that doesn't get very many new features every year.

I guess my point is, if we put in the rule that no one can take jobs, what is the downside to turning the feature on?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Again, I agree with this point. Its the same arguement, in essence, as the custom playbooks. Is there room for abuse? Absolutly, but we need to trust that we are all on a sim website to not load a playbook with money plays (which from the looks of the demo maybe harder to execute with zone coverages fixed). The same is true with CC, we need to know that know one is going to take another job until we all approve that you can change job, which will be down the road, if ever.

It adds another element of realistic gameplay to NCAA, and I think we need to take advantage of it. I think the number 1 reason to do it, is the CPU teams in our conferences hiring and firing coaches. I have really wanted this feature in years past. The only way you could play a team with a different style 3 or 4 years into a dynasty would be for a new user to play you non conference or a new user in your conference. This leads to the same stale gameplay during a season, and 4 66-0 blowouts in a row. This year the CPU will be attempting to better itself with firing a shitty coach and hiring a top mid major coach or top BCS coordinator. I think this is brilliant, and almost makes CC something dynasties cannot play without, even if they are not using the feature to switch user teams.

Second, we already ave people who are not in love with their team. Maybe 4 or 5 years down the road when their team is all their recruits, they will love the team and not want to switch, maybe not. If we do talk about moving teams down the road this makes it realistic, not just a hapazard selection based on trying to win. If Kansas (just as an example) does n ot do great in 5 years there, and he wants to move teams, Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, etc. are not going to be available. Looking beyond the fact that we probably do not want people leaving their 3* programs for 6* ones, CC would force it to be realistic.

Just one man's opinion on the matter.

16. Twister18

I am
    I was surprised you didnt take SMU. I should be able to really move the games around this year as the locked in conference games were a huge pain in the butt last season.

17. Bornthreat

Bornthreat Walk On

SMU?? LOL First of all I prefer a program without drugs & criminals(oh yeah, that was the past....whatever); secondly, I'm really not into abuse, especially the kind I'd get trying to recruit against TEX,OKL,LSU,TT,TA&M,Hou & Baylor. No thanks Sir, I've read that story and it doesn't end well... I'm happy over here in the lost state with my C- defense, rock hand receivers and a good supply of cognac. GOOOO! Fighting Jayha....... uhhhh nevermind. lol

• Like Like x 2
  18. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

Twister18

Are we going to vote/discuss coaching carousel? Not sure how cc works with online dynasty, but with the points brought up, I think it is worth a vote/discussion.

19. Twister18

To be honest, great points have been made about it but I am not for it this first season. I may put a poll up to see who wants to do it but I don't know if it will be a democratic issue.

20. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

If we can't just turn it on and off, and I am going to assume that is the case, then we need to decide now about CC not after the first season; if we can turn it on and off I'm all for waiting but I doubt that is the case. What is the down side to turning CC on? Other than unauthorized coaching changes, which can be met with dimssal from the league I don't understand why every dynasty would not have this on. There are coaching changes in real life. To go 8 plus season with every CPU team playing the same style is not even close to realistic. CC was developed as an add on to dynasy/online dynasty and a feature that could dynamically change dynasties as they progress. It should be a feature that is embeded into the game. However, I know some people may not like it, etc. , but with our site obsessed with realism, we should all be using it. You just tell people they cannot change teams, that's it, that is the work around. You can reap the benefits of a great feature like CC, yet restrict users to having to use the team they entered with.

21. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

Is there any way you could explain why your against it? After leaving a couple lengthy posts explaining the benefits of it, it'd be kind of nice to at least get some reasoning...

I agree with this. I think that CC adds depth and realism to the cpu controlled teams in Online Dynasty, which is what has been lacking in years past.

22. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Because we are switching Houston to the Big 12 wouldn't their schedule change as well? UCLA vs Houston probably won't be week 1 anymore. Just sayin...

23. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I think it still would be the same because its a OOC game regardless of moving them to the big 12 or not.

24. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

I agree

25. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Well in my experience with the game, say you switch Nebraska with USC. Nebraska would then play USC's entire schedule and vice versa. Not just switching conference games. If we still want Houston vs UCLA week 1, we might have to change the schedule. That's why I bring it up.