**General Soccer Discussion**

Discussion in 'Tradition Soccer' started by Blaza, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

College Cup

Hey guys, I'm not sure how many of you actually enjoy watching soccer on television---I wanted to give a heads up that the NCAA College Soccer cup is going on this weekend. Essentially it is the final four. Wake Forest plays Virginia at 5pm today on ESPN2. Akron plays UNC at 7:30 on ESPNU. The winners will lock up on ESPN2 Sunday at 1pm.

I've seen all of these teams play this year and they are all real treats to watch. Keep an eye out on Akron. They've got several youth national pool players and are looking to complete an undefeated season (albeit in a weaker conference) with a championship. The ACC teams are all extremely talented as well. I can't wait.

2. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

I caught the tail end of the Akron v UNC game.
    And what a game it was.
    First college soccer game I've ever watched and I was pretty impressed.

3. Blaza

The Futbol Thread

Figured it wouldn't be a bad idea for one of these:

Looks like Diego is set to return to Germany. I'm still a bit curious as to how he failed to perform in the slower paced, more tactical Serie A vs. the gladiator sport that is the Bundesliga. Especially considering his slight stature.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=817732&sec=transfers&cc=5901

4. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

well to be fair to him everybody at the old lady sucked last year except probably for Buffon. they need to be fixing the referee schedule to be good :thumbsup:

5. BlyGilmore

btw we talked a bit before the game, but Liverpool looked like total shit against Man City.

If Gerrard and Torres aren't 100 percent and clicking that team isn't going to go far.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Bly, do you think it had anything to do with Mascherano's impending departure? I mean, he is so much better for the team than Lucas is for one, plus all of the headlines lead me to believe that it is having an impact. I know you follow it more closely than I, so I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Gerrard and Torres will get on the the same page sooner than later I think. What a better time to start than a game against West Brom at Anfield!

Also, what do you make of all this Kuyt-Rafa talk??

7. BlyGilmore

8. BlyGilmore

certainly didn't help having Lucas make the start. He looked lost and was wandering around like a drunken child. I dunno if all the talk about it hurt them though. Players have to be used to talks about guys coming or leaving all the time so i'm not sure if it was anything worse than him not being on the pitch.

My official opinion is i'm ignoring all Rafa-reuniting-with-whoever stories until he actually signs somebody. Kuyt is like the third guy he's been linked with, and when he left folks were screaming "he's going to take all the players!"

Of course this is pretty funny because all these players supposedly love Rafa, and yet they all quit on him last season.

9. Blaza

Definitely had something to do with Masch, but 'Pool was in trouble last year even with him. Torres' confidence is in the shitter--the guy just cant score goals lately. Masch is a beast though. Box to box destroyer with the ability to win the ball and spray it around the park with ease. He will be tough to replace.

I think the game also spoke to Man City's talent level. Plain and simple they are fucking loaded and I really can't see them finishing outside of the top 4 at this point. Yaya is scary in the middle, they've got Tevez, AdebayWhore, Jo, Balotelli. Their back line is stout. In my opinion the best player on the pitch that game was Adam Johnson though. Mancini loves the inverted wingers and the lefty Johnson plays that role on the right to perfection. He flat out made Agger his bitch, snaking him over and over and getting into dangerous positions.

10. BlyGilmore

I don't agree about Torres. It just takes him a few weeks to get sharp. Same thing happened last year. He came back from injury and was horrible for about three weeks before kicking it into another gear and turning into the Torres we know.

He's just one of those guys who it takes a while for him to get back to form - and it probably doesn't help that his issues have all be leg injuries.

Of course then he got hurt again until the World Cup, and then got hurt again.

Here's my question about Man City: are all of those players who are used to playing 30-40 matches a year going to be OK sitting out half the matches?

Guys like David Silva who are going from being one of THE guys on their clubs to somebody who splits time with a Milner/Johnson? Is Adebayor going to be cool watching Tevez and Balotelli getting a ton of starts while he sits?

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I'm with you on Torres Bly. He showed signs already against City, but it isn't all there yet. This weekend's fixture could be just what he needs to get on the same page with the mids and truly find his form.

12. BlyGilmore

Yeah this weekend should be a good test. Nice weak side to hopefully beat up on. Also keep in mind against Man City he was paired up with N-goal. I don't think Fernando has played with a striker along side him since his days at Atletico.

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Theo Walcott was on point against Blackburn... damn!

14. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Berba's 3rd goal was AMAZING....

The Goomers had a bit more trouble with Blackburn than I thought they would.

Lol @ Tottenham

15. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

SERIOUS LOL @ Spurs! I watched that one and they never really had many good chances aside from Defoe's quick turn, and then after Wigan had scored.

Berbatov's goal was spectacular. His footwork all over the pitch is so smooth and calculated. Man U looked really good in this one and the Hammers were pretty lucky to keep it to 3.

What is the deal with Blackburn? They did look pretty good today. Is it due to their new striker? Is that enough to push them up a bit?

16. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Blackburn's style of play is just the type to get AW bitching...lol....It could be Arsenal's kryptonite, but Arsenal took care of em, just didnt think it would be as tense as it was.

17. Blaza

Torres gets on the scoresheet to rescue Liverpool today against West Brom. I don't disagree with you guys over his class. I have seen him terrorize defenses gazillions of times, but over the past several months he has not been sharp at all. He could never turn in on in South Africa and was coming off the bench by the end of the tournament.

Also, I really think Liverpool is in trouble in the prem this season. They lose Masch who was arguably their best player. Of course Captain Gerrard runs the club, but Mascherano was CLASS as a holding middie for 'Pool. It will be tough to replace him. Ownership is in limbo, and they aren't looking like they will be bringing in another worldclass player before the window closes.

Happy about the Arsenal result. Gritty win against a physical side which has been our only criticism over the past few years. Cesc looked a little off the pace but I'll attribute that to rustiness from the extended holliday.

Song didn't put in his best shift but I thought Diaby did a good job holding the middle and covering when Song, TV5, or Koscielny made runs or got sucked out of position.

Van Persie plays all day long for Holland this summer and gets injured in his first start for us. It's supposedly just a sprain but this is becoming more than a trend.

Walcott is flat out feeling it right now. He is a terror when he plays direct and attacks defenders. He had the Blackburn defense struggling to even grab his shorts for a foul. He seems to be one of Wengers darlings so I'm sure he gets the goods training wise. I'm excited to see what he can become.

18. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I thought it was interesting that I read an article saying how Koscielny was relishing the physicality of the Prem, then went got shoved off the ball by Diouf....But to be fair, Koscielny recovered and played fine the rest of the way.

And on a sidenote, I think Chamakh is the perfect player for Arsenal in the Blackburn type games. He is by far their most physical player, and throws all prettiness out the window sometimes, and against a team like Blackburn, thats huge.

19. BlyGilmore

you know Torres or no Torres only scoring one goal against West Brom, at home, is not a good sign for Liverpool. hopefully Joe Cole coming back from the shit red card will bolster the attack a bit.

Masch will be tough to replace, but folks seem to be high on this new guy they just bought from Porto Meireles. And I still don't know where Mascherano is going to play. At best he's splitting time with Busquetes isn't he?

Man City looks great against Liverpool and then loses to Sunderland? How does that make any sense.

20. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Cuz City still arent that good....They built their team from the wrong end. Either that or they looked that good against Lpool cuz Lpool might be that bad....

21. Blaza

Yeah I wasn't high on Kos when we initially signed him because his lack of experience in a top League. He spent 1 year in Ligue 1 before coming over. That said I think he will develop into a Vermaelen type of player--very calm on the ball and able to initiate an attack from the back. His size is a huge worry--guy is like a rail, but I think he will continue to develop.

Love Chamakh. He missed some chances vs. Blackpool but you can't deny the physical presence he brings to the side. I think as he improves technically he will be a beast leading the line.

22. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Was all excited to sit back and watch some champion league futbal today on my day off and bam, my flippin comcast service has been down since 7 this morning.. Someone is gonna pay for this!!

23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Wait, so your off and without TV and Internet? Oh man.

24. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Well, that honey-do list the old lady gave me at the beginning of the week is getting done today. I wish I still drank cuz I could use getting loaded.. All this cleaning of the garage and doing laundry is not what I had in mind today.

25. BlyGilmore

so what are folks thoughts on the Red Sox ownership group hopefully buying Liverpool ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.