Georgia Tech- 24, UNC- 17

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Georgia Tech- 24, UNC- 17

GEORGIA TECH SURVIVES​

Title game hopes still have some hope

It seems like the book is out on the GT Yellow Jackets...bump their WR's. In the 2nd game in a row, the Yellow Jacket WR's faced a team getting physical with their WR's at the line, forcing them off their routes while a ferocious pass rush tries to get to Shaw. "I guess the book is out on us," said Coach Moreecemos.

Luckily for GT, they had a speedy RB named Marcus Wright, who made some big plays early while the GT defense had to hold off UNC's onslaught.

Wright had two key plays, a 44 yard TD reception off the fleXbox One formation and a 28 yard run for a score, both came in the 1st half to key the GT attack. Wright ended up with 96 yards on 18 carries and a TD and 3 receptions for 64 yards and a TD.

Meanwhile the GT WR's were virtually non-existant. Demaryius Thomas had his 3 catches early in the 1st half, while speedy WR Tyler Melton was held to 1 catch. Quite simply, GT is looking like they'll be forced to scale down their passing attack.

UNC's onslaught began in the 2nd half as they gave GT a steady dose of SR-RB Shaun Draughn and FR-RB Dustin Clancy as they went to a more conservative offense. They would occassionally mix in with various slant patterns as their WR's got the inside edge on GT's CB's.

Before you know it, the score was 24-17 and UNC was within range of tying the game. But GT's defense stepped it up big time, forcing pressure on TJ Yates and forcing up wounded ducks downfield, which Mario Edwards and Rashaad Reid both intercepted passes on key defensive stops to hold GT's lead.

Both teams combined for 10 turnovers (6 for UNC, 4 for GT) and a combined 73 rushing plays on the game. This defensive battle was won by Georgia Tech on this day.

GEORGIA TECH- 24, UNC- 17

P.O.G.- FS Cooper Taylor- 8 tackles, INT, FF

GEORGIA TECH STATS
    QB Jaybo Shaw- 12/25, 218yds, TD, 3INT's, 18car, 33yds, TD
    RB Marcus Wright- 18car, 96yds, TD, 3rec, 64yds, TD
    WR Demaryius Thomas- 3rec, 38yds
    SS Mario Edwards- 5 tackles, FL, INT
    DT T.J. Barnes- 3 tackles, 3FL, sack
    CB Jerrard Tarrant- 3 tackles, INT

UNC STATS
    QB T.J. Yates- 20/35, 250yds, 4INT's
    RB Shaun Draughn- 14car, 50yds, TD
    FB Anthony Elzy- 3car, 13yds, TD
    WR Dwight Jones- 4rec, 64yds
    MLB Quan Sturdivant- 14 tackles, 3FL, sack
    DT Marvin Austin- 5tackles, 3FL, 2 sacks

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

10 turnovers.......wow!!

protect the ball and UNC wins this game....

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

yeah football gods weren't with me today. Had 2 or 3 INTs on plays where my QB had a guy and got hit. One "WTF" INT where a GTech CB made an over the back jumping INT. Had a fumble on a "catch" where my WR didn't even get to the ground before its started coming out, and other sorts of nonsense.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

its only nonsense when u lose!;)

5. BlyGilmore

:-p

nah i just don't like mistakes where it had nothing to do with what either of us were doing - just silly luck. a guy makes a good defensive call and picks it off, cool. but there were like three "no fucking way" plays in this game that all went to one side.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

lets go to the video tape!

7. BlyGilmore

i'll have it tomorrow.

anyway with that said i had a chance to tie it late in the 4th but GTs defense buckled down and I couldn't get deep enough down field to score.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ha well I know one of the picks I had I figured he wanted to hit his WR going across the field and since my CB was behind I got in line with his WR hoping he'd throw it. He did and I caught it like rice!

Btw that fumble I got by Taylor is classic him. He causes fumbles constantly