Georgia Tech changes offensive philosophy

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Georgia Tech changes offensive philosophy

In this ever changing game of college football, there's always a time where change is needed. For this Yellow Jacket squad, that change came years too early.

Back when Coach Moreecemos signed a 7 year contract in 2009, he figured he'd be running some sort of fleXbox One/traditional style offense mixed in. The plan was of course keep what made Georgia Tech a surprise team when Paul Johnson came aboard in 2007.

In 2009, Georgia Tech boasted one of the more ferocious rushing teams in the nation when they featured Jonathan Dwyer, Embry Peeples, and Roddy Jones as their top 3 RB's. The result was a national title going undefeated in the process. Unfortunately, the talent needed to run a successful option offense took major hits when Dwyer and Jones went pro while Embry Peeples decided to transfer to Indiana because of the lack of carries he had during the 09 season.

Going into the 2010 season, Marcus Wright was the lone ranger and carried a lot of the load. Jaybo Shaw had rose onto the scene as the starting QB but the rest of the pieces weren't as prevalent as the past season. Guys like Jon Lockhart and Orwin Smith were counted on to be the 2nd and 3rd RB's and they simply weren't ready.

In 2011, the lack of talent at RB began to hurt GT. While Wright, Lockhart and Smith all returned for another season, it was soon that Coach began telling recruits that the vaunted fleXbox One offense would likely not be there in a few years. In fact despite being in the top 10 in rushing, GT began to shy away from the offense that put them in the title game in 09. They had to practically beg backup QB Jordan Luallen to stay in what would be a new offense.

Luallen was a QB who saw the fleXbox One style offense and figured he was a perfect fit. Years later and his time came but in the offseason, Coach came to his top two QB's and said, "We know you came here on the basis of running a fleXbox One style offense but we decided to change mostly because of the personnel we currently have."

There were rumblings of a QB competition between SR-QB Tevin Washington and JR-QB Jordan Luallen but deep down, the coaches knew that Luallen was maybe their best dual threat QB they've had since Coach took over at Georgia Tech. "Nesbitt was gritty and ran like a RB, while Shaw was a little bit better passer and not as good of a runner. In Luallen, we have the best of both worlds," said Coach Moreecemos.

Since Georgia Tech had a plethora of WR's, they figured an offense featuring their depth at WR would be the way to go. They moved RB Jon Lockhart to WR due to his outstanding hands. They moved Stephen Hill, a 6'4" WR to their #1 spot. They put 5'8" Thearon Collier in the slot as their Wes Welker type WR. Then at spots 4, 5 and 6, they have tall WR's, ranging from 6'2" to 6'4". At the RB spot, Orwin Smith will get the bulk of the carries, being the main back with tons of power and good speed. "We think teams will have trouble trying to cover 4-5 WR's.

What also keyed this decision was the transfer of TE Nic Dillilo, a 6'5" TE with 86 speed. Thomas Snyder was initially the #1 TE but DiLillo gives GT a dangerous option who can line up at WR while having the ability to beat the press coverage. "We can line up 4-5 guys at a time who can have the ability to catch the ball out there," said Moreecemos. "We don't consider our offense like Texas Tech or Hawaii back in the days of June Jones but take a team like that and add in a solid RB like Orwin Smith and we feel we have maximized our offensive potential."

In their 1st two games, Georgia Tech has scored 71 points against a powerful Penn State team and 69 on ACC North Carolina State. Nic DiLillo has been amazing, going over 100 yards in receiving in both games. Hill has come up with big catches while Collier has been tough to cover in the slot. Jon Lockhart is slowly learning the nuances of playing WR but he's a natural athlete out there.

With games against Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Georgia and Auburn looming on the schedule, we'll see how this offense responds against those tough foes.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

It's always a good strategy to move your best overall and fastest receiver to #3 since he will get matched up on weaker defenders.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If teams are going to continually bump and run me, I won't put collier as a starter. His size is his weakness since he can't beat press. He was in the slot last year as well

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Inevitable, despite whatever you'd told yourself. What playbook are you running

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

thanks for the heads up!!

Bring on Wes Welker!

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I'm using Penn state :)

7. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Good stuff Mo. I agree with Helli that it just too tough to constantly bring in the personnel to run that option-heavy offense. I will say though, that As an ACC neighbor, I look forward to NOT having to prepare for it

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yes Helli is right.

maybe last year's recruits I coulda got this done lol but not this year. Plus it was partially my fault because in year 1 I lost 3 RB's...that's too much depth to lose. Plus I'ma passer by heart, this really makes me feel giddy inside playing an old offense I use to run.

9. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Your #1 WR cannot play in the 3 or 4 spot... if he's your best wide or the one you throw to the most... you have to play him at 1 or 2... sorry.. that's always been the case in all my leagues.

The reason is, i can't drop my top CB to cover the slot on the fly.... and it creates mismatches against the defense that cannot be combated. Please move him out wide.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

too bad.. that's part of the game, his lack of size and strength help balance out his ability to run by people, which is something you will have to deal with. If you want to move him around at times with the formation audibles, that's probably all right, but to line him up at slot #3 WR as his default position is not kosher.

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    lol he's only 93 speed....your funeral...oh wait, u ducking me ;)

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Just because I don't hoard all the speed WR's, doesn't mean I throw to him the most. Right now he has 12 catches, 2nd on the team behind my TE. He's 3rd in receiving yards behind Lockhart.

lol watch all the bump and run bullshit i gotta overcome now because this lil bastid can't break it :(. He has 90 release too...GTFOH.

14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

this isn't about being scared of your skills or trying to tilt the odds against you... so get that out of your head. It's about a rule set and mind set that we are all bound to.

I've enforced similar type rules before.. one i recall was when Ramirez was moving his OLB up to DE and killing QB's... same principle different scenario

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I moved Lockhart to #3...do I have to use him as #1 as well since he's 94 ovr? and his 92 speed? with 56 awareness? *shakes head*...I don't want to ruffle anymore feathers.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    play me next year....no ducking.

I moved him to #1.

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

'Dem Fightin Words :biggun:

18. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

im not ducking anyone.. i played you last year when you were Oregon. I just like to play 4 user games a season if i can... that only leaves me 1 slot of OOC user game a season. I needed my Home versus NC after going to chapel hill last year.

I'll put you on the schedule next year.. no problem.. but i don't see how any of this relates to this thread. Is beating me with him at #2 WR gonna prove something in your head or what? I'm not getting it, im not very good anyways.. lol

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    lol I honestly didn't think it was a problem...mind you I participated in the convo where some guy here in tradition had his #4 WR have the most catches (who was his best WR), meaning there was some discrepancies that he was using to get him those catches.

Meanwhile having used Collier in the slot last year, this was not an issue. Maybe it was because I had 94 spd Melton starting and 6'6" WR Greco on the other side but I didn't have no issues...it's why I did it this year...kinda same personnel except I lost a top deep threat.

If the lil bastid could actually break a press I certainly wouldn't have him as my slot WR. In fact I'd love to have him as my #1...but with the insane amount of bump and run I had last year, he couldn't break that shyt worth a damn, now I'ma sitting duck waiting in the pocket lol.

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Collier won't be at GT next year. I just have the need to take you down and those "top recruiting classes" you get. Same with bruce so you don't think i'm picking on you ;)

edit: I'm bored waiting for the next week, excuse my brash nature right now...I'm amped up and ready to drop 50 on VaTech with this new offense :)

21. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

This is the prick who transfered from Miami to GT isn't it? I hope he dies

22. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

sounds like you all need to get your DB game up....

23. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

There is another thought process that should come into play here.

A players overall doesnt always mean they are the best player.

I had several good WRs last season and the best one Ovr rated was Art Evans who was far from my best WR between the lines. I had three WRs who I liked better and who played better, if thats the case are we saying that Art had to be my #1 WR because of his overall rating even though I thought he was the fourth best one I had?

24. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think as long as they are within 3-4 points of each other it should be a big deal.

Ryno was just trying to avoid someone putting their 'best' WR in the slot and him have much better stats the rest of the team by a healthy margin.

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i didn't say "best rated" i said "primary wide receiver".. this covers non-overall top rated players who you consider your 1st option. If he's close to your top rated WR and you plan on throwing it his way more than the rest.. he needs to be at 1 or 2.