Georgia Tech's Championship hopes take a direct hit with 37-17 loss to Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Georgia Tech's Championship hopes take a direct hit with 37-17 loss to Bulldogs

Beating Georgia Tech is something that didn't even look possible for the Bulldogs coming into this game, as they had lost two games that weren't even close in the last two meetings. Nevertheless that is what they did, by taking care of the ball on a day that we're not sure Georgia Tech's team could have beaten anybody (if you take Griff out of the equation).

They were awful. Worst I've seen an opposing team play yet. Easily!

On a day when Mo was sick his team was even less healthy. They dropped every single pass that came their way when there was any contact. Couldn't pass protect worth a damn. Couldn't run block worth a damn. There wasn't a single thing they did well.

Georgia took the ball and it looked like it was gonna be a three and out, but Jeff Scales scrambled out and floated one to FB Mike Rivera, who made a gain of 13 yards. The next play was a 30-yarder over the head of an aggressive defense for a 30-yard gain to Tavarres King. The drive stalled on an incomplete pass to TE Aron White, who simply dropped it despite having a good angle and taking a pussy hit from the CB.

5:32 1st Qtr - UGA 43 yd FG (3-0)

We were curious how Georgia Tech would react to the 3-4. This is a defense they struggled with in NCAA 2009. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to put pressure on Mo without giving up big plays. That is always the problem with him. Today I concentrated on making the tackles. not big hits which led to huge plays for Mo in the past. Rusty noticed this and clued me in the other day. Just make the tackle, and that we tried to do. GT went three and out.

Ga Tech likes to stuff nine in the box, including superman Cooper Taylor. This tends to make it difficult to run! So after an 8-yard gain by our fullback on the first play of the drive, Taylor smashed Anderson in the backfield for a one-yard loss. Scales responded with passes of 8 yards to Aron White (who actually caught one) and 26 yards to Marlon Brown. Mike Anderson took over and got a gain of 12 yards which was like HALLELUJAH. Once we were inside the 20 it took six plays but we scored.

0:50 1st Qtr - UGA 1 yd TD Run Anderson (10-0)

Georgia Tech stepped it up on their next drive as Jaybo Shaw started throwing with success.

6:41 2nd Qtr - GT 43 yd FG (10-3)

After we took a touchback on a deep kick, we called a deep ball with Mike Anderson split out to the right against what is the slow half of the Georgia Tech secondary. Anderson caught a perfect pass in stride.

6:30 2nd Qtr - UGA 80 yd TD Pass Scales to Anderson (17-3)

Georgia Tech's next drive looked promising, but suddenly the Georgia defense put all kinds of pressure on him and he was sacked twice in a row then threw an incompletion. We were forced to punt on the next drive. Georgia Tech again moved it before Shaw was sacked twice in a row ending the drive. That ended the half.

--------

The game was over when.... GT had the second half kickoff, only to have Shaw intercepted by cornerback Makiri Pugh. We couldn't do much, as Walsh had to kick a long one.

6:47 3rd Qtr - UGA 56 yd FG (20-3)

Georgia Tech was forced into another three and out. We went into no-mistake mode as we attempted only one pass on the next drive, a throw-away. But the drive included a 12-yard gain by Anderson, a 26-yard gain by Scales, and we were in range.

3:33 3rd Qtr - UGA 35 yd FG (23-3)

On the subsequent drive GT pulled out the stops and still the defense stepped it up. They were stopped on downs deep in our territory.

Scales completed passes of 11, 15, and 20 yards on the next drive and we mixed in some Mike Anderson as well.

0:05 3rd Qtr - UGA 6yd TD Run Anderson (30-3)

Next drive, Georgia Tech went for it on 4th down deep in their own territory and we capitalized a couple of plays later.

7:04 4th QTR - UGA 5 yd TD Run Anderson (37-3)

From then on out I'd like to say we eased off on defense but that'd be a falsehood. Georgia Tech was efficient in getting in some good practice against our looks for the next game.

4:21 4th Qtr - GT 4 yd Td Run Wright (37-10)

1:25 4th Qtr - GT 11 yd TD Pass Shaw to Wright (37-17)

Big win for us. Feel better Mo.

---------

Inside the stats:

What really won the game is Georgia stopped the option/running looks and was able to focus on stopping the pass on third down. Both teams had shoddy performances on third down (4-11 for UGA, 4-15 for GT) but making Georgia Tech punt four times in a game is simply not something you do.

Held them to under 30 yards rushing on the day, and that's what did it. Of course 7 sacks had a bit to do with that.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Wow nice win Helli. I'm guessing it helped to go up early and keep the ball outta the air! God I hate Taylor. :(

The parity in this OD is amazing!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

TBH i was only able to go up because we passed successfully. Rushing yards were again hard to come by. That will be the case anytime there's 9 in the box and one of them is mr. Heat seeker. Mo's crazy with that guy, one time I had five guys running routes and it looked like he was gonna be in coverage so I thought to myself "they're all covered I'd better run." It was at precisely that moment that I was sacked... by Taylor, who I thought was on the other side of the field.

4. jfosh

jfosh Super

Another twist in this on-line dynasty. Great win for the Bulldogs in the rivalry game. Now we look towards the SEC Championship game.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    you won't be seeing him again :(.

I dunno my guys couldn't do anything out there. Wright couldn't get to the outside, my WR's were dropping tons of passes they usually catch. Melton/Greco/Collier were all terrible on this day. Shaw did his best but the oline was disappointing too. This sucks...#2 in the land and taking a loss like that at home hurts quite a bit. I'm not sure what will happen in the ACC title game with me and FSU but I don't think that will be enough...bleh. Good shyt tho helli..very good gameplan.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think it's Tennesse and Auburn in that game too...that's interesting.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

One thing I will say is that you've been downplaying your ability to pass rush all year long and I saw it first hand in this game. you have a lot of athletic linemen, linebackers, etc. but it just didn't amount to a rush at any point. Even in cover zero type situations there was still time for me to make a read. Ga Tech will have to figure that out somehow.

I'm interested to see what happens here. somehow the polls like us a lot despite our two losses. We're ranked #5 before this win!? When other teams have 2 losses and are ranked way lower.

If we can find our way past Miami, we should end up in a nice BCS bowl game somehow.... Looking forward to that game cuz Mike and I haven't played in awhile.

I'm starting to like my middle linebackers too. they looked like a weak point at times this year, but DeAngelis and Dowdell will give the incoming player as well as a freshman that's redshirting right now a tough time if they want to crack the lineup.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

dont play when your sick!

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I'm bringing in another edge rusher...that should help...I dunno!

I'll have 1 loss and a ton of 2 loss teams are right there now :(...boo.