Georgia wins a close one against Auburn, 31-21

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Georgia wins a close one against Auburn, 31-21

Hosting the Auburn Tigers and coming into the game with a 9-0 record, I have to admit this is one I felt we were going to drop. Just based on Mike's sheer dominance of our team earlier in the dynasty and with him fielding a strong defensive team this season I felt it might be a loss. Well I felt that we played a very good game (my team not necessarily me) that made it difficult for Auburn with our speed advantage and we were able to make it work.

It turned out to be one of the most even statistical games I've ever seen.

First Downs: Aub 17, UGA 16
    Total Off: Aub 318, UGA 329
    3rd Downs: 5-11, 7-11

...And so on.

We scored the opening points on a 1-yard Curtis Bower TD run to cap off a pretty nice drive after early punts by both teams. Auburn tied it up with a 1-yard TD run from the FB when it looked like we might make a great goal line stand.

Auburn took the lead following a stupid interception and it was here that I figured the game would either float away like Auburn contests in the past (right at the end of the first half, we'd give it up) but instead we tied it up with a great 45-yard touchdown strike from Nick Murray to Michael Outlaw.

Michael Outlaw... The only thing that could stop him in this game was himself. He dropped three passes, two of which were definite touchdowns, and on each of those drives we didn't score a point. Still, he went over 100 yards, scored two touchdowns, and was probably our player of the game. Just didn't seem like they could cover him. I got the impression that they were looking to stop Lee and take their chances with Outlaw, Mike would have to answer that one though.

Another score from Outlaw opened the second half scoring as we took a 21-14 lead. We added on with another 1-yard plunge from Curtis Bower. Our offense went down the drain late but we were able to get a couple of big interceptions by secondary stalwarts Joe Dixon and Tanner Jenkins.

It didn't help Auburn that William Hamilton went down for much of this game. Both QBs were well protected for the most part, there were many sacks but they were mostly of the coverage variety. I get the feeling that if we trade teams I'd get my freaking ass kicked.

We could only run the ball sporadically. In the red zone we were very competent, walling off the preliminary rush to score easy touchdowns, but everywhere else on the field the Tigers took it to us for the most part. We have things to work on but are happy to come out of this one unscathed.

good game Ramirez...