Georgia's Season Preview

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by drowsike, Jul 6, 2009.

1. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Georgia's Season Preview

The pieces are there to pull it off with a tremendous offensive line that could turn out to be the best in America, A.J. Green at receiver, a fantastic rotation at tackle, an athletic and deep linebacking corps, and roughly five running backs who could start for just about anyone. There are problems, like the lack of a pass rushing end, no sure-thing playmaking corner, and no No. 2 receiving threat whatsoever on the other side of Green. But this is Georgia; under Richt, the perceived weaknesses tend to turn into positives in a big hurry.

And then there's the pressure factor. No one will pick Georgia to win the SEC title, and no one will pick anyone but Florida to win the East. The Dawgs always seem to do a little bit better when they fly slightly under the radar, and while it's a stretch to call them underdogs going into the year, things are far different than last season when they were the preseason No. 1 pick.

Eventually it'll be Georgia's turn. The program has been too good and the coaching is too solid to not get all the breaks in one magical run. Florida is the best team in the East, and probably the country, but don't be shocked if Georgia gets just enough production across the board to pull off a bit of a stunner.

What to watch for on offense: The line. It's the walking wounded going into the fall with so many key players recovering from a slew of issues, led by star left tackle Trinton Sturdivant coming off a bad knee injury, but if everyone is healthy, there won't be a deeper more talented line in America. There's so much talent and so much versatility that the coaching staff can play around with the lineup whenever needed and get production. It happened last year with decent results, and there's no reason the line can't be better with so many key parts returning.

What to watch for on defense: The tackle rotation. With Jeff Owens back after missing almost all of last season, and with Geno Atkins choosing to return for his senior year rather than be a millionaire as a first round pick in this year's draft, the Bulldogs are loaded on the inside. Throw in 320-pound veteran Kade Weston, who's trying to get healthy after playing banged up last year, and emerging star DeAngelo Tyson, and Georgia will be phenomental on the defensive interior.

This team will be much better if ... an end can get to the quarterback. Justin Houston appeared to be the answer after a great spring and an three-sack spring game, but he was suspended for the first two games of the year. That's not a plus considering Oklahoma State and South Carolina kick off the season. If Roderick Battle isn't healthy and productive, and if Demarcus Dobbs and Kiante Tripp can't hit the quarterback early on, the coaching staff will have to get creative with the pass rush and will have to use the linebackers more.

The Schedule: Georgia's reputation for being one of the nation's best road teams will be put to the test right away with a statement game against an Oklahoma State that'll likely start the season in the top ten and will likely finish the season in the top five offensively. Along with the OSU game, facing Arizona State and going to Georgia Tech means the Dawgs have the toughest non-conference slate of any SEC team by far ... by far. There's a tough three-week mid-season stretch against LSU, at Tennessee and at Vanderbilt (who should be better this year), but there's a week off before the Cocktail Party against Florida. Getting Auburn and Kentucky at home, along with a layup against Tennessee Tech, will make for a relatively easy November before the regular season-ending game against the Yellow Jackets.

Best Defensive Player: Junior LB Rennie Curran. Tackle Geno Atkins is Georgia's top pro prospect and safety Reshad Jones isn't far behind, but Curran is the team's top playmaker who tackles everything in sight and will likely lead the team again in stops. He's the SEC's leading returning tackler (115) with three sacks, and with the issues on the line, he might end up spending more time being sent into the backfield.

Key player to a successful season: Senior QB Joe Cox. The defense will find a pass rush from somewhere, and will be decent even if it doesn't, but the offense has to get a strong year out of Cox. The rest of the receiving corps, besides Green, is too average to adjust for mediocre quarterback play, so if Cox doesn't at least keep the chains moving and doesn't make teams pay for loading up against the run, the offense will go flat.

The season will be a success if ... the Bulldogs get to the BCS. There are just enough holes to keep the Bulldogs from winning the SEC title, and it'll be asking too much to beat LSU, Tennessee at Tennessee, and Florida, but there's no reason to shoot for anything less than a 10-2 regular season with a win in the bowl game. If they beat Oklahoma State in the opener, they'll only be underdogs to Florida the rest of the way.

2. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

great article dude, only question i have is what u plan to do @ QB. I haven't seen the fixed rosters, but i do know that in addition to cox, you have 2 highly touted freshmen, Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger.

3. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

I like logan gray too....I don't know. We will see when I get to start practicing with em

4. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

Are y'all comin up with these yourselves? Good stuff.

5. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

i can only speak for myself, but yes i did do it myself. was bored i guess...