Get Your Blogs Up

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, May 16, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Get Your Blogs Up

OK guys,

The blog creation process takes all of five minutes, so at some point I'm going to consider the absence of them to be due to lack of interest in the league. Some of us are posting, and some of us have done nothing. Just like old times.

Let's at least get the setup in place - all 12 teams with blogs created and invites accepted - so we don't have to worry about it later. Plus, if they're up, we can post a few things now and then up until the release, kind of like and actual preseason. This will give me an idea who wants to play, and who just wants to hang around, so we can make adjustments and move people into the East and West before the season starts.

Anyway, we're not going to go through that whole "some guys do stuff, others don't" thing again. I know that's not where we're at right now, but it would be nice if we got the basics handled sooner rather than later.

AG

2. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I have mine set up but is still very basic. I look at the rest of you guys' pages and am very jealous. How do I get all that cool stuff on mine? I am perfectly capable of typing up the stories, etc., but I could use a little direction on how to add the banners, the stadium/player pictures, how you pull screenshots off the game and put them on your page, etc., etc., etc.. My blog sucks.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

For the moment, I just want the skeleton of the system up, so your stuff is just fine.

Let's take this a piece at a time: Here's how to get screenshots on your blog.

Take a pic in a game (by the way, when reviewing plays after a game, instead of hitting A to view it from a certain camera angle, you can hit X to cut to the Instant Replay, in order to get that perfect pic without stopping the game to get it) and upload it to EASportsworld. You may have to set up an account there, but it's free and everything.

To upload the pic to EAS, just visit your shrine after you save the pics (same for vids), view the pic, and hit the option to upload. It takes a minute, but it will happen. Once you have done this, log in to EAS, view the pic, right click on it, choose the "save as" option, and save it to your system wherever you like, and with whatever name you like (again, the process is the same for vids). Once you have that image (or video) on your system, just click the add picture icon (or add video icon) above the text box as you're typing, and then find the file, upload it, and choose from the options it gives you (size, position, etc.). It's just that simple.

Now here's something a little more technical, but it's actually pretty easy once you get past the jargon. When you post a pic, blogger seems to move that pic to the top of the post, regardless of where you want it to go. But you can move that pic if you want. Here's how:

Let's say the pic in my last post goes at the bottom of the post, not the top. In the text box where you punch out your articles and such, there's a set of tabs at the upper right. One says "compose" and the other says "edit html". Click the "edit html". What you will see is a bunch of gobbledy-gook where the picture used to be. That's html code. You can grab that code (click and drag to select it, right click, choose "cut" or "copy") and move it to wherever you want it to go. Just put the cursor where you want the text to go, right click, then select the "paste" option, and it's done.

I'll post something on embedding video in the E-League blog.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just got that post up, so you might want to have a look. It's much easier to watch a tutorial than to try to decipher my writing.

5. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I just click-and-drag the picture to where I want it to go in the post.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I suppose that would be easier. Didn't know you could do that.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I will try to get something up soon.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And when you guys get a chance, visit the other players' blogs and sign up to follow them (and make sure you have the followers gadget on your pages - it's there by default, so you don't have to add it, but you can remove it, and some of you may have) so you can see what's new the moment you log in.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Hate to quote myself here, but we're not doing the follow thing it seems. Also, for those of you who read my post in the scheduling thread, deals with other coaches make for good hype on your team blog.

AG

10. Razcalking1978

Ever find out what's happened to Reagle?

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

No clue. I looked through my PM's to see if I had a message from him about an absence (and I may have deleted it if there was one) but it sure has been a long time since we had a word from him. Seems odd to be away from all internet for long periods of time. Anyone know where he might be?

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I think I got a follower link to everyone...

13. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

Guys,

After seeing my mug on the back of a milk carton I wanted to let everyone know I am still alive and doing ok. I am sorry for my recent absence. I have been busy traveling with work and have not been able to play much lately. I had checked in a few weeks ago and did not see much action so assumed we were just waiting to get closer to the new game drop.

I will get caught up on the forum discussions and weigh in after I have current knowledge. I will also work on my blog creation.

Thanks and I will catch up soon.

Reagle

14. Two questions before I go watch my Nuggets,

1) Anyone find a good template yet? I have seen tons of so-so templates but meh...

2) Do you know of a good site like photo bucket that will let us store pictures? I like photo bucket but since my work does not allow it, Its a pain to work on during the day. If there is another site that may help me a ton.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've done a few searches, but haven't found anything too great. Found some three-column ones, though. I'll post a site or two if I get a chance.

16. I remembered #2..
    Do you know of a good site like photo bucket that will let us store pictures? I like photo bucket but since my work does not allow it, Its a pain to work on during the day. If there is another site that may help me a ton.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You could always go to one of the free web hosting sites like I did for the first webpage we had, and upload the pics to whatever free page you create, but there has to be an easier way.

18. Think I will try imageshack

19. Imageshack solved my problem. I dont like it as much as the bucket when it comes to organizing the photos but it works behind the firewall.

I will say that creating a table in the blog is MUCH MUCH harder than the website.

It took me until 2am (starting at 9pm) to figure out how to get this basic one up and correct. Pay no attention to who the opponents are.

http://offlcolorado.blogspot.com/

Check out the code. :(

<"table style="text-align: center; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" bgcolor="#000000" border="3" cellspacing="3" width="250"><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">CSU </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td style="color: rgb(0, 0, 156);">@Toledo</td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(160, 1502, 90);">Wyoming </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">@WVU </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(232, 82, 0);">@Texas </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(187, 11, 49);">Kansas </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(101, 45, 146);">@Kansas State </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(198, 148, 8);">Missouri </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(102, 0, 0);">Texas A&M </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(234, 175, 15);">@Iowa State </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(255, 102, 0);">@OSU </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(150, 0, 0);">Nebraska </td><td>TBD</td></tr></"table>

20. Razcalking1978

Yeesh. I'll just create the table on Word and capture the image.

21. I tried that too and it is also a pain.

Box Score code for anyone interested.

<*table style="text-align: center; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" summary="Box Score" bgcolor="#000000" border="1" cellspacing="1" width="250">
    <tbody><tr><th>Team</th><th>1st</th><th>2nd</th><th>3rd</th><th>4th</th><th>OT</th><th>Final</th></tr>
    <tr><td style="color: rgb(198, 180, 99); font-weight: bold;">Colorado</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td style="color: rgb(198, 180, 99); font-weight: bold;">0</td></tr>
    <tr><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0); font-weight: bold;">CSU</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0); font-weight: bold;">0</td></tr>
    </tbody><*/table>

(Take out the *'s)

22. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You're all linked up and ready to go.

24. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

25. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I am struggling with this blog, creativity isn't always my strong point. I may just copy and paste a couple articles so that I have something up and running. I hope that things will be easier once we get closer to release. Any suggestions would be appreciated.