GM of the Cycle?

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, May 10, 2013.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So I was thinking today that this would be an excellent discussion/poll but then I thought well... thats going to be really tough to gauge for most people.

Any idea on how we could do it? I know for me, its not just strictly performance based.... leave that to the playoffs to decide who the best guy is on the sticks. I'm talking about really assessing the team from a managerial standpoint, as well as an on field component. Tough to gauge right?

One idea I had was to look at the offense/defense ratings, at least as one factor. Those are the ratings you look at when you highlight "progress players" from the main CCM screen. Unfortunately this rating is hidden from everyone except the owner themselves so we would all have to be responsible for posting it.

Thats just one idea/component though. Any others? There's gotta be some sort of way where we can look at a roster and where the team came from and say that this GM job might be one of the best... or something? Know what I mean?

I dunno, I thought it was a cool idea. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

Off the top of my head, some guys that come to my mind at least...

Baron, Antcap, Lawdog, Jowers, Fuzzy....

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Fuzzy, I think, has to be in contention for the top spot as he's taken over the AFC South with a roster that had plenty of holes.

Raidernation deserves credit for being a consistent thorn in my side in the AFC West. Not a ton of success but Sam Farris was a good pick and has worked out well for him.

I agree on Keller's top list. Antcap has been masterful in keeping that Atlanta roster intact. I think Lawdog is a piece of shit had probably the most talent to begin with, but his QB situation was a mess and he overcame that by working to get Palmer.

Jowers has done a great job as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

The Eagle roster was cap hell;

Nnandi had 12 million figure; Peters was 11 million.

Being able to trade both of those guys for four picks total was key.

Then trading back from 4, and picking up two extra picks was also key;

I went from having two overpriced veterans where I would have no cap room for FA, to picking up 6 extra picks, gave me the flexibility to sign Patrick Chung, and trade for Carson Palmer, because otherwise my starting QB situation was Nick Foles.

Throw in landing Andrew Waters in last year's draft because everyone else wasn't paying attention;

• Like Like x 2
  4. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

If I'd been a 4-3 team, I'd have traded up to get Waters. His ratings were insane.

5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I had a similar idea when I made the "best on the field" thread , but all the crying about not being considered turned me off to it. Sadly we have what , 10-12 guys that stayed for whole cycle ? So that should narrow it down a bit. It seems like to me most of the teams that have been good over the last few seasons were already talented , so not sure what to base this on.

NFC I would say maybe TB , Philly but that team had good talent already , I would say Chicago but drafting the best WR in the game to trade him next year has to exclude you.

AFC has to be Kansas City , crap team but I'm not sure how mucvc of the success is GM moves as much as Baron being good on the field (somewhere Cheez just threw up in his mouth a little). I would say Keller but he needs an * of course. I can't think of any one else in the AFC.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

I'd give it to Baron. Easily made the best move of the league by trading up to get Madison and dropping Vick's salary.

• Like Like x 2
  7. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Good idea, but hard to gauge like you said. The cycle hopefully has a few more seasons left, so it may be a bit premature. How many owners do we even have that have been GM of their team from season one? Maybe a few metrics to consider - state of the roster, how much has it improved, cap situations/contract management, did trades pan out for improvement of the team, etc.

8. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

9. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I should preface this by saying, I am by no means nominating myself for best GM. I do stand behind my roster management though. If only I could work the sticks...

Anyway, I use this for my own personal reference when deciding on who to cut, keep, extend, draft, etc. There is a tab for each year... it shows me the rating and cap # of my roster on each Week 1 on each season. No edits are made mid season.

The ratings in pink are guys who either didn't progress overall or regressed from he previous year. Positions highlighted in yellow are "need" positions, which I randomly set at below 80 overall.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

That looks like a really good way to keep up with things man. Nice

11. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Yea, hard to say. Even the offense/defense/overall thing depends on stick skills due to xp goals. I didn't start writing it down until last season, I did go +2 OVR between '14 and '15 though.

12. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Phil, Baron, Lawdog because of being consistently deep in the playoffs.

13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Great topic. This has to be given to someone who has been around the entire time. Some of us who only joined this season really won't have time to develop our rosters.

14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I tell you who has a pretty damn good roster .... Me ;)

If you gave my roster to a better player I bet the Seahawks would be a real threat. I've done a decent job and only had two big mistakes , one of which was me not trying to dick over somebody by not backing of of a trade. I've only missed on two 3rd round or higher picks. I had such good young talent to start with though it would have been hard to mess the roster up.

Lesson learned = don't work on 2 deals for two high priced players at once if you can't tell one of them no after the fact lol

15. dakota7

Nnamdi? And Johnson?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Yep , that's the problem with fake NFL , I can't call a GM on the spot when needed lol

Shit wrecked my cap last year , then I lost 6 starters on defense

17. Masler

Masler Moderator

GM of the Cycle should be someone who has been here from the start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

How many of the guys here are from the original 32? I'm curious.

19. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

-7 lol

20. IrishBearcat

I hope that's not the case! Haha

21. dakota7

7? That's amazing.

22. IrishBearcat

I'm pretty sure that's a negative 7, but I am no calculus professor.

23. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

You are correct sir , still trying to impress Shaun Mason with my humor :(

But he would be the person who would likely know the answer to the question

24. IrishBearcat

No humor needed man, I think you're among the top of who should be in TMFL25. Just keep being Dan. #DANing

25. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Keller
    SimFBallCritic
    bawvu97
    Shaun Mason
    AzureEffect
    Danthraxxx
    sawemoff (did he leave and come back?)
    MoonBBad
    HovaTheGodMC
    Masler