Announcement GMFL Madden 13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jmustang1968, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Well with the Connected Career Mode announced, it is time for us to start discussing plans for the GMFL and Madden 13. These new online tools are exciting to me and hopefully you as well. Many of the issues and depth we lacked in previous versions should be here and should make our league a much richer experience.
    We had our first iteration of the GMFL and we had some things to build off of. We have a core group to start 13 with, and continued the league past the first year. Many new leagues fail to survive after the first few months, so I am pleased we will continue to build on this league.

Help me answer some questions.

-What worked for you, went right, aspects you liked of the GMFL in Madden 12

-What didn't work, or things you feel need to be improved from 12 to 13?

-Rules, what should we remove or add to our rules?

-Simming, are you guys interested in simming seasons/games still? Or would you want to play all the games but still focus on the GM aspect. **EDIT** As of now, and with the new CCM options, I am leaning towards not simming seasons to get the full experience CCM offers

-I am inclined to not allow users to use superstar mode and we will all be coaches. I am also thinking to have all of us be a coach, and allow us to be hired and fired and moved around the league.

-How many users max? Currently I have it set at 16. Would you want a full league? 18? 24?

I am tagging the members who are carrying over from 12, but I am opening up this discussion to anyone with potential interest in the GMFL for Madden 13.

ParkerR83
    mboda
    I Peench
    Roggie
    Raidernation
    RyanC
    gogiants98
    @Governed Spy
    IXI DECAY IXI

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

32 users would be ideal, but that's a migraine to manage. Either way, I like the idea of simming seasons. Gave this league a bit of a different flavor, which I really enjoyed.

4. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I loved the GM style feel, made the game a whole lot of fun and really made it stand out a little bit from the norm

My only problem was really the lack of customization in Madden 12 OF, but it looks like EA took that and flipped it on its head for 13

I think most rules are going to need some reevaluating with the new gameplay features in 13 so I think we should use a base that we have had but also open up ways to discuss as we get more time with the game in our hands

-Simming, are you guys interested in simming seasons/games still? Or would you want to play all the games but still focus on the GM aspect.

I liked the simming, but if the scouting is as important as it looks to be it may be more detrimental if we can't get good looks at incoming prospects

-How many users max? Currently I have it set at 16. Would you want a full league? 18? 24?

I think 16 would still be good, but I wouldn't be opposed to 24 at all

5. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

of course i will wait until i actually play '13 but on the face of it looks a big step up

im happy with 16-24 guys with a simmed season inbetween seemed to work quite well. Agree with mustang about the hiring/firing aspect makes it more realistic and if we get a good balance in the conferences think we could have a great franchise here

6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:

I was a huge fan of the simulated seasons. The whole idea of management being the focus is the reason I joined and the reason I enjoyed it.

League-wise, there isn't really much I saw that needs changes from 12 to 13. The only thing that needs to be improved from 12-13 is my skill level.

I also had no issue with any of the rules. But since Madden 13 is going to be a whole new ball game, odds are we are going to have to rethink some of them.

-Simming, are you guys interested in simming seasons/games still? Or would you want to play all the games but still focus on the GM aspect.

Definitely keep the simming in my mind. That's part of what had drawn me in.

-I am inclined to not allow users to use superstar mode and we will all be coaches. I am also thinking to have all of us be a coach, and allow us to be hired and fired and moved around the league.

I agree with not allowing superstar mode. I did have a thought enter my head (more based off the NHL connected mode, which I've looked far more into) that we could have a change where players are allowed to manage a team and let the CPU play their games. Possibly have half of the league in a managerial role and the other half in a coaching/playing role (if expanded to a full league). Not sure how/if it would possibly work, but just a thought that I had to allow those with annoying work schedules to be more inclined to join.

The only way I'd like to see this be a full league is if something like that I said above was implemented. If it's a full league with everyone playing, then I'd be backing out due to being gone 4-5 nights every week due to work/bowling. I prefer the half league setup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Very good point. I liked the simming as well, but with the potential of missing out on the scouting and manual progression type stuff by simming, it may not be in the best interest to sim seasons anymore. I am leaning against it now.

8. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I agree as well but allow me to say it is EA, and we were supposed to get custom playbooks online and offline and we got snubbed. Still in all I can't wait to see how the points thing works along wit "CC."

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. Raidernation

First time I participated in a online franchise that involved simming whole seasons, everything went well would have done everything the same besides picking up Courtney Brown.;)

Maybe a little more user content but I myself fell off in that department. Again everything went well as expected.

No trading rookies of CPU teams. Allow at least one chance to go for it on fourth down (4 and 1) that can be used anywhere. If used with some discretion it can be a momentum booster.

If the new system allows for it I am all for it, its one of the best parts of the GMFL IMO.

Coaching and playing to stay with your squad or being sought after on other teams .... That sounds like it would be very interesting. NO SUPERSTAR'ING

Adding one per division is as far as I would go 16 is still good though.

10. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

N/A

N/A

I havent had any experience with the rules so for now I'll defer to the guys who have played.

I would love to play all the games and focus on the GM aspect in some other way. Simming isnt really my cup of tea but I can live with it.

I concur

I like the 16-20 range.

11. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

I am new so I can't comment on last season. I'll look in the league forum for more info, but if I can't find it, can you explain how you implemented simming last year? Personally, I like to play all my games. I think 16 teams works well, unless I'm on the outside looking in. Then it should be the full 32:) 16 teams with two teams per division is a good set-up. It leaves two users competing for each division. It also leaves some games against the CPU which gives users "bye" weeks from scheduling user games. I think a straight coach mode would be best.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

We simmed the first season and every 3rd season last year. Just to advance the league. At this point, I am leaning towards not simming next year due to the new CCM functionality...

13. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Just a thought, because I don't know how much carry over you'll have from 12, but what about banning trades for users until they complete their first full season. In my experience, the guys who come in and blow up their rosters always drop from the league soon after. Now my experience is based on my time in the online wilderness. I just joined TSO, and hope the same things don't occur here. The TSO vets can speak more to whether this is needed.

14. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Good call imo

15. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

To clarify a bit, guys who are TSO vets have earned a right to be exempt from this rule. This rule is for new guys (yes, I include myself, and yes, I'm cool with abiding by the rule). I see y'all had a three trade limit, but you can do a lot of damage with three trades. Especially now that guys attributes are tailored to specific systems.

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

We do have a trade committee. So trades have to pass a sanity test or atleast be in the ballpark of fair value for it to go through.

17. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Cool. I've just been in leagues where the whole time a guys making trades I'm thinking to myself that he'll drop out in a week or two, and sure enough they do. Meanwhile, they leave behind a blown up roster nobody wants to play with. The trades were often legit if you looked strictly at the player ratings, but they players they got didn't fit together. Like I said, I'm coming from the online wilderness, so things y'all don't see much here at TSO are still painfully fresh to me.

18. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

N/A
    N/A
    1.i like the idea of 1 4th down from anywhere suggestion it would def. let fake punts be relevant and keep players from cheating with blockers.
    2.i would like to see a certain control with progression, because nobody wants to see a 95spd DE. maybe have attribute caps.

-Simming, are you guys interested in simming seasons/games still? Or would you want to play all the games but still focus on the GM aspect. **EDIT** As of now, and with the new CCM options, I am leaning towards not simming seasons to get the full experience CCM offers
    I would like to play all games. we as a community not just ours at TSO have been wanting something like this from Day 1 when 06 came out on the 360 so it would be a shame not to use it to its full capabilities.

I would prefer coaches only. even though i think having a WR vs CB league would be fun just not this league;)
    how many it takes to get me in;) 16-24 would be nice.

19. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

-What worked for you, went right, aspects you liked of the GMFL in Madden 12: N/A

-What didn't work, or things you feel need to be improved from 12 to 13?: N/A

-Rules, what should we remove or add to our rules?: N/A

-Simming, are you guys interested in simming seasons/games still? Or would you want to play all the games but still focus on the GM aspect. **EDIT** As of now, and with the new CCM options, I am leaning towards not simming seasons to get the full experience CCM offers: With the new CCM, I agree that maybe simming wouldnot be a good idea.

-I am inclined to not allow users to use superstar mode and we will all be coaches. I am also thinking to have all of us be a coach, and allow us to be hired and fired and moved around the league.: Great dynamic having all users as coaches and allowing for the coaching changes. Would make for some interesting scenarios.

-How many users max? Currently I have it set at 16. Would you want a full league? 18? 24?: I like the concept of 16 teams with two users per conference. With coaching changes allowed, after the first season it would get interesting to see where users went and if they keep up their current rivalries.

20. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

From what I understand if we run an all coaches mode, an attribute cap won't be needed. Earning points to build up a player's attributes is a superstar feature, or am I mistaken?

21. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

You earn points in "all" areas. I put all in quotations because it seems like they are trying to do away with the idea of seperate modes and everything is integrated.

22. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

But in coach mode, don't the points go to upgrade your coach's abilities, or can you use them on individual player attributes? I've also seen it said that it takes almost an entire season to build up enough points to go up one point once the attribute gets in the >90 range. If you can put points toward a player's attributes, I agree there needs to be a cap. Although, it would be hillarious to see a guy spend several seasons building up one attribute, only to have that player refuse to resign and go elsewhere.

23. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Ya got me there. I know in coach mode, points for your coach can only be used on the coach. Yeah that would be funny to see someone spend a lot of time building up a player and seeing said player bolt. Unless it happens to yourself of course!

24. Raidernation

I believe the points are accumulated from various accomplishments in an OD, then the points are spent for player progression. A down side would be that a GM wastes progression points on a DE or TE for an abnormal amount of speed or any other stat. This is guaranteed to hurt their team short term and long term. An official from EA said in a video I watched that it would be "very" difficult too do. I'd imagine that the points per attribute goes up as the number gets higher kind of like 2k progression. IMO I don't think a cap will be needed because in the GMFL we strive to build complete teams throughout VARIOUS seasons and if some fool wants to dump all available Progress points to get a dominant DE or a world class QB while the rest of his team remains stagnant he wont be here for long. I'll admit this new feature will be fun to toy with as it gives a GM the power to build a team to his strengths. Your good at the pass rush? Its likely you'll have fast D-ends. You're bad at stopping the run? A GM might build a good core of linebackers and so on. Downside is the rest of your team will suffer, and if your team is too weak WE all will make you suffer. With great power comes great responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  25. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

The points can be used to upgrade player abilities, but the GCs said it takes a very high amount of points to do so. I believe they said it took about half a seasons worth of xp just to move block shed up one. So if they wanted to do that with a DE not only would it take forever, but they would lose xp they could use for more important aspects of the team.