GMFL Season 1 Year in Review

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by dj illmatic 23, Oct 30, 2012.

1. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Super Bowl Champions
    [​IMG]
    The Baltimore Ravens spent season one proving they were the best team in the league finishing with the best record in the regular season. They carried this momentum into the post season on their way to the championship. The Ravens started the season making a trade many people questioned when they sent proven QB Joe Flacco to the Dolphins for rookie QB Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill turned this move into a stroke of genius as he finished with 30 TD's and only 15 interceptions. The Ravens offense was led by HB Ray Rice who ran for 2,034 yards and 22 TD's on the season. The Ravens sent the best MLB in NFL history out with another deserved championship, as Ray Lewis announced his retirement after the season. Despite the loss of Lewis, Baltimore is loaded and will look to repeat in season 2.​
    Offensive MVP
    [​IMG]
    QB Matthew Stafford
    5,666 yards/ 53 TD's/ 122.2 QB Rating​
    Stafford had a record setting season for the Detroit Lions this year on his way to league MVP. He carried his team to a win in the Wild Card round, before losing to the eventual NFC Champion Carolina Panthers.​
    Defensive MVP
    [​IMG]
    SS Eric Berry
    68 tackles/ 9 interceptions/ 3 forced fumbles/ 3 TD's
    Berry led one of the toughest defenses in football, and if not for a controversial finish to the season could have made noise in the playoffs. Of the 4 teams that played for the Conference Championship, the Chiefs defeated three of them in the regular season. Despite the disappointment of not making the playoffs, Berry proved he is one of the best play makers in the NFL with his impressive season.
    Offensive Rookie of the Year
    [​IMG]
    QB Andrew Luck
    4,728 yards/ 45 TD's/ 105.8 QB Rating
    Peyton who? The Colts didn't miss a beat with Andrew Luck at the helm. If not for the record setting performance of Stafford, Luck may have won the MVP award as well. The Colts fell short in the playoffs, but with Luck at QB this team's future is ahead of them.
    Defensive Rookie of the Year
    [​IMG]
    CB Josh Norman
    44 tackles/ 2 sacks/ 11 interceptions/ 1 forced fumble/ 2 fumble recoveries/ 1 TD
    Norman's play helped propel the Panthers into the Super Bowl. Coming out of nowhere as a rookie from Coastal Carolina, you can bet QB's know who this kid is now.
    NFL Records That Fell in Year 1
    We had several records fall this season, some more ridiculous than others. Single game record was:
    Passing Yards- Mark Sanchez 631 yards
    This is ridiculous on several levels. The fact that it was Sanchez actually competing passes, and a user throwing for 631 yards. You get the Gas Face on this one.
    Season records include:
    Passing Yards- Matthew Stafford 5,666 yards
    The last three digits of Stafford's mark are an omen. He will be injured in the first preseason game and be out for the year in season 2:)

Passing TD's- Matthew Stafford 53 TD's
    Didn't destroy the old record, so this is the most reasonable record of the bunch.

Receiving Yards- Justin Blackmon 2,013 yards
    Uh, yeah.......:confused:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Nicely done... I am not too happy with a few of the records either. Definitely not the Sanchez and Keller game against cpu. A warning was sent and any future games I see like that will bring a swift punishment to any user.

3. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

What does Blackmon have to do to get Rookie of the Year?!?! Just kidding. This was a solid first season and hopefully we can keep this core group of guys for the next few years.

4. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I hope he doesnt have 2k yards receiving next year

5. Brandon S.

I hope everyone in the league doesnt play 2 man under all game. I didnt abuse blackmon, but if you press him with his 95 release, then he will be open deep. He could have had way more yards if i didnt pull him out of games.

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Yes and no, you also had a lot of long passes to him in games... My Wr corps is on par with yours and I managed to spread it around a bit more.

7. Brandon S.

I have a lot of long passes to him because he is wide open because people run 2 man under which auto presses. I spread the ball around plenty, but the stats may not show because i release and sign WRs / TEs. Im willing to bet you can pick any game and there will be atleast 5 players with a catch.

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

While I agree to a point, you also smashed the NFL record by about 200 yards with a rookie WR.

9. Brandon S.

I pulled him from games, and taken losses because of it. But if he breaks a 80 yard catch to begin the game, i cant use him for the rest of the game. And in the TWO times he went over 200 yards it was because of 4th quarter big play receptions of more than 70 yards. I didnt even play Blackmon in the last game of the year. (Im a liar, i put him in for 2 3rd down conversions)

10. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I dont want guys benching guys, but I think there is a happy medium. I dont always look for Wayne first... You can get him good stats while also not going nuts and still not pull him from games.

11. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Great write up. Tannehill for Flacco was a very important move, IF I had made it to the SB with Flacco I would have loss. The D the Panthers play a mobile QB is a must. Stafford was a beast, Eric Berry played great ball, Luck shined bright at QB spot for a rookie no doubt. The records... Ehh some are meant to be broken, some are a lil blah... I can't attest to passing as I just make the reads and hit whoever's open. Some of the receiving stats in general are like WHOA. Big avgs, big yards with out the reception count. But all in all a good year, with solid participation... Hope this keeps up!

12. Brandon S.

I dont look Blackmon first though. Robinson had 1150 yards and 15 TDs. I had 350 carries, leading the league, with my RB and over 70 carries with Jennings before i cut him. Gabbert only had 412 attempts, which is near the bottom of the league in attempts for starters. I had 4 guys over 500 yards receiving and 7 different players (on my roster now, not including people that i cut in offseason) with TD receptions. My goal isnt to pad stats with Blackmon, but when he is the ONLY person on my team that has high enough release to beat the press coverage off the line, sometimes my only option is to throw to him or take a sack.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Shorter routes, your averages were insane, that's where the yardage is coming from.

14. Brandon S.

Also, there were 5 guys over 1500 yards receiving with averages over 20 yards. The problem isnt that they "Target" their WR first, but that the MAJORITY of users i played this year ran ALOT of 2 man under in passing situations. That Auto presses. I took 5 or 6 losses this year to people that mixed up their defense, with zone and man, and won about 9 or 10 games because people only run man.

15. Brandon S.

The averages are buffed by beating press coverage and getting 30+ yards. I run plenty of short routes, especially curls, slants and drags. I will say that if i see 1v1 coverage with no safety help i will hot route to a fly and go deep, but that is very common in the NFL.

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

You dont always have to do that. I see that as well, and it doesnt mean instant seam route, there are other routes that beat it too.

I am aware of the coverages in the game and all that, I agree some guys rely too much on man.

17. Brandon S.

Please share the routes that beat it. Im not being a smartass right now, i seriously want to know the other routes so i can use them. 2 Man under is very over powered in this game.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Outs, hitches, the z out route, slants.

The slot beats it easily too. As does the TE

19. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

The slot or TE corner does great too. A seam route is an option, but it shouldnt be the default and only option. Call a pass play that beats man if you see a lot, dont necessarily hot route a seam whenever you see it.

20. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Agreed... And after exceeding a player's season goal, I'm not sure it's necessary to continue to pound away with him. The high mark season goal should be enough and performance far exceeding that number should be evaluated.

21. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think the season goal on a WR is 120 receptions or something crazy.

22. Brandon S.

I run lots of slants and hitches but that never works for me. They drop the pass immediately. Out routes get picked off for me but i do mix them in and see if they work. I should run more z out routes but that isnt in my playbook, but that is effective. As far as slot and TE, a CB with 80+ MCV stops that. The hitches and slants might work well for you but for me they just drop the pass, which is why i was contacting you about Collie earlier this year, because of his Catch in traffic. I was just doing what worked, thats not cheese. I ran the ball more than anyone else in the league and i threw the ball 412 times, which is about middle of the pack in passing attempts. 4 guys over 500 yards receiving which most teams didnt have and 7 players on my roster still that had a TD reception, which is the same or more than most people in this league. I spread it around, i dont force passes to Blackmon but if he is wide open from a blown press i threw it to him. Im not saying i will repeat with 2000 yards but i dont think its fair i should have to change my offense because users dont mix up their defense. The rules state that you need to mix it up offensively and defensively. Changing a formation but picking the same play isnt mixing it up. I dont run fly routes EVERY play, but ANY route that is pressed vs blackmon will leave him wide open with a CB stumbling at the line of scrimmage.

23. Brandon S.

I didnt do it to pad stats. I did it to win. Blackmons goal was 100 receptions or something, it was the reception mark not the yards one.

24. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think you are exaggerating a bit on the rate of drops. You also have to time the out properly

25. Brandon S.

They dont drop it EVERY play, but dropped passes are very common. I understand the out routes need to be timed properly, but i think you ignored a big argument in my post.