Goin' Pro and Transfer Thoughts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Sep 23, 2010.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Goin' Pro and Transfer Thoughts

I'm in the 4th year of an off-line dynasty, and after my most recent season, two odd things occurred.

1) My JR center (83 rating) opted to go pro instead of playing his senior season. Neither league or national honors were earned. My team had a sub-par year, also.

2) My starting JR running back (90 rating) opted for the NFL, while my SR back-up (84 rating) graduated. Pretty standard, right? But then my red-shirted freshman (who would now be heading into his SO year) wanted to transfer despite being the only veteran RB remaining on the roster.

Above is the league's current stand on this issue. While I agree with its premise, I can't help but wonder if EA incorporated "player stupidity" into the game, just to force us to use time talking to players in the off-season. 'Cuz to do so would be sim, wouldn't it? How often do coaches (behind the scenes) have to convince disillusioned players that entering the draft early is a bad idea? Or that playing time will, indeed, be given if he stays?

In the examples given above, my center probably has zero chance of being drafted. Meanwhile, my red-shirt sophomore (who was never promised anything in regard to red-shirting and playing-time) is contemplating leaving for a non-BCS conference team when he's in prime position to be the MAN at a top program! I had even made him my 3rd-down back this past season, so he saw plenty of time on the field. It's really freakin' silly.

So, why am I bringing this up? I was wondering if it would be possible for coaches to "apply" for the right/chance to convince a player to stay, when 1) doing so would certainly occur in real life 2) the player decision is clearly asinine and 3) a coach's broken promise or suspect usage couldn't have played a role in the player's decision.

An argument could be presented to Arch', and a decision could be made based on the circumstances. Even contingencies could be put in place. For instance, in my case, I'd have to assure that my SO RB will start over my incoming freshmen.

At most, I'd just appreciate the discussion. I'm fine with the current set-up, I just know that we all strive to achieve the most realistic playing experience possible. So when borderline NFL players bypass their senior seasons and young players consider transferring despite having a starting position lined up, I'd expect a coach to at least make an attempt to convince his kids to do what's best for their futures.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I could see us having the discussion, but but guys transfer and go pro for all kinds of reasons. It's not always about playing time and draft position. Many times it is, but there are always times when a kid simply doesn't like the direction of a program, or a certain coach, or maybe he needs to be closer to home - there are a number of possible reasons.

Having a system in which I or anyone else decides opens the door for those decisions to be compared. "You did it for X, why not for me?" I'm not sure I want to be put in that spot. I'd rather just cook up a story about a kid falling for a cheerleader at another school, or some other nonsense reason to explain the weirdness.

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I could see something like this...

You can convince a player from going to the NFL draft IF he is under 90 OVR and was not nominated for any awards.

You can convince a player from transfering IF you did not break any promises to the player AND he is going to be a starter during the next year.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I thought about this after I posted. I can dig this.

We had something like this in place prior, but we changed to the current rule to make things harder/more realistic. In addition, at the time, most transfers and "doin' pro" occurrences made sense.

In my current off-line dynasty, when I tried to convince my RB to stay he said, "Sorry, coach. I need more playing time." Or something to that effect. Silly.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like the blanket statement. It just keeps things simple and avoids conflict.