Going for it on 4th down

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by CoachRedd, Feb 2, 2011.

1. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

My kicker is horrible. In fact he is a 51 overall with 47 kick Power. Last game, he missed not only a 38 yarder that was too short(seriously, ask Snoopy) but he also missed a PAT. Because of this, I'm just warning everyone in the league right now that I'll be going for it on most fourth downs when most people would suspect a FG attempt. Sorry it has to be like that... but I'm tired of watching kicks fall short and land in the end zone.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

well I guess it's settled then

3. johngalt11

johngalt11 Walk On

If was a coach and my kicker sucked I would go for it instead of kicking a field goal I know I would miss or punt in a situation that would hardly gain me any yards of field position.

4. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea I know a bunch of us experienced this after our kickers graduated in the first couple of years. I think you just gotta play it situationally. Your probably not going to want to punt the ball from your opponents 27 though.

5. DirtycashDylan

You experienced it because you didn't recruit a kicker, correct?

Problem is, not recruiting a kicker gives you an advantage. I didn't like when Nik did this season 2 either. It's not fair for someone to get 4 downs, especially in the redzone, in such a high scoring league. but obviously Mid Tenn is a special circumstance.

I think the rule we should put in place is that if you go for it on 4th down the whole game because of a lack of a kicker, your opponent has every right to do the same if they so choose. Thoughts?

and CoachRedd, you don't get to decide these types of things on your own. I wouldn't even decide something like that for my own team. Next time, bad team or not, ask the group before you decide you'll break a rule for the rest of the year. I understand the logic behind it but that doesn't mean you don't need our OK.

6. nikpin

The issue wasn't that I didn't recruit a kicker it was that the game hadn't been patched so kickers/punters were generated 2 recruit. In the first couple of seasons if you had a kicker or punter you graduate there was no kickers or punters to even recruit so those people that had that issue were left out to dry until it was patched.

I've always advocated going for it inside the 5 as I think the risk reward is pretty beneficial to the offense. You may leave points on the board but if so you're pinning your opponent inside their own 5 and you have a decent shot at a safety or too get the ball back with a short field.

I've had people go for it against me in that 35-25 yard range where I could probably kick a FG and they don't have that option but I completely understand that it’s just not advantageous for them to punt the ball to net almost nothing in those situations.

7. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Not Redd's fault that he has no kicker... If he can't kick a 40 yd field goal then by all means, go for it... But i think its a very small window that he's working with. If youre outside the 40, i think you should always punt. If you're inside the 20, definitely kick the field goal.

8. DirtycashDylan

Didn't say it was Redd's fault, but it's not his opponent's fault either. That's why I think it's fair for both sides to go for it if they so choose.

9. DirtycashDylan

but in real life football, if you go for it on the 4 and get shut down and wind up losing the game by 2 points then you'll get run out of town. a fake is different.

irl football, you take the points. in sim football, you take the points. in video game football, you go for it because it's such an offensive game.

Pundits are saying all the time that the statistics suggest coaches should kick an onside kick every time, but they don't and won't anytime soon.

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Is your punter any better? Throw him in there.

11. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Yeah sorry I should have clarified. My Punter actually starts at kicker not mya ctualy kicker. They are 51 and 47 overalls.

and @DirtycashDylan I actually meant to ask this as a question but my frustrations boiled over and it came out as a statement. The reason I made the thread was to see how the rest of the league felt about it. I understand I cant just do whatever I want if it doesnt fit in with the league standards. So sorry I worded it wrong. I've been punting still... the only difference is that when I'm on the 38-21 yard lines I am stuck because my kicker has no shot at making it and its dumb to punt.

12. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'd say if you're inside the 30 then you can go for it, as long as your opponent gets the same right.

Outside the 30 you should punt regardless, because I know I would, my kicker can't make it from there. I wouldn't like to see you get to the 37 yard line and go for it on 4th and 3 because your kicker can't make it, nobody's can. Having a shitty kicker should allow you to go for it on 4th from the 20-30 yard line, not outside the 30.

13. DirtycashDylan

ok cool.

14. DirtycashDylan

Going back to your original post, a 38 yarder is long for this league fyi. No one's out there kicking 50 yarders.

15. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

I was last year... can't kick beyond 27 this year

16. nikpin

I'm hitting 50+ yarders. [​IMG]

17. DirtycashDylan

would you guys stfu. I'm trying to make a point here.

18. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Yeah, my kicker is an 80 something and he nailed a 48 yarder this season. But I agree with the 21-38 yd line, and going for it. 4th and short from the 30, I definitely wouldn't punt...