Going for it on 4th

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

What do you guys think? We've always been a kick on 4th down type of league but since a FB Dive or QB Sneak isn't a given now, what do you think the rules should be for going for it on 4th down?

Personally, I'm still for kicking it except for maybe 4th and 1 on the goalline. It seems that, in this situation, more and more teams go for it irl.

2. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

I think the 30-40 of your opponents territory is always a grey area but I've always been more open to going for it in your opponents territory. If it's it at the goalline I've always thought it's a gut call. Really depends on your style of play.

3. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

I'm open to what everyone agrees. When I first joined I looked everywhere for this OD official rules. I thought I found it when I stumbled upon Steamer's post "DD 2013 Dynasty Description" which says 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the 50. I personally agree with that because to me that is SIM. I see Belichek in Dirty's avatar and he is very aggressive on 4th and short. In the college ranks Les Miles is the same way. If I don't have a FG who can kick it 50 yards I think it's a wasted opportunity to punt from the opponent's 35 yard line. I'm not talking 4th and 12, I'm talking something more realistic like 4th and 7 and less. I would rather taking a shot on that than a potential 13 yard net punt if I kick it in the end zone.

Of course I'm a very aggressive play caller offensive minded coach by nature. And I will add you take on risk of flipping momentum if you fail.

4. nikpin

Yea we used to have rules somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

5. DirtycashDylan

We really need to to go hammer out some rules at some point. Most of us have been playing so long together that we just kind of understand what they are. I've already got so much to do but that'll get done eventually.

So maybe we should make our rule that 4th down attempts are allowed inside the 5 yard line and between the 50 and the 30 or something?

6. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

I'd like more freedom on 4th down because my kickers max range appears to be about 42 yards this season.

7. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Also, 4th quarter should be open to you if you're behind

8. DirtycashDylan

I've always felt the last 4 minutes or so are open no matter what unless you're up big.

9. nikpin

Meh you never see teams going for it if they are ahead in the 4th.

10. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

USC against Texas, 2005 National Championship game they did.

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Don't use USC as an example. They suck!

• Like Like x 1
  12. nikpin

How'd that work out for them? I wonder who's poorer Lendale White or Vince Young.

13. DirtycashDylan

You've never seen a mid-major, with a shitty defense, go for it so that they can win the game?

I don't think you can tell someone how to play ball in winning time. Any other time of the game that might be considered shady but if the game is on the line, it's ballsy and it counts.

14. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

As you can see a lot of differing opinions. It's kind of like the "golden rule" concept, but like that everyone has a different of what is fair, what is cheese, what is SIM, etc.

Definitely needs to be defined.

15. DirtycashDylan

So how about anything in your opponents territory, 4th and 1 or inches during normal play and anything goes if you're down late. This rule would mean you'd have to kick on the 2 yard line during 4th and goal.

16. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

4th and inches - anywhere, anytime
    4th and 1 - inside opponents 40
    No man's land roughly defined between 40-25 yard line where punting might not yield much and you have a weak FG kicker. You may go for it unless it's over 4th-8.
    Anywhere when trailing by 14 in the 3rd quarter
    Anywhere when tied or trailing by 7 in the 4th quarter

Not perfect, just throwing out ideas.

17. DirtycashDylan

Let's not get carried away here lol. 4th and inches from anywhere is a slippery slope. So is 4th and 8 unless you're down quite a bit. I'd also wanna look at more like down by 14 in the 4th and 21 in the 3rd. 7 in the last 4 minutes or so.

18. DirtycashDylan

I realize you're just throwing out ideas but I can't see a real football team going for it on 4th and 8 no matter where they are. Remember, we want to keep it sim and not video game football.

19. DirtycashDylan

These are the actual site-wide rules and they're more lenient than I had thought. Maybe we should just go with these.

O.1.0 - Going on 4th Down: We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:
    • Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    • If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    • If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

What do you think Todd Ramsey?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

I think those are good. Easy to understand and fair.

21. nikpin

I agree. While not perfect they aren't complicated and still allow aggressive play without being ridiculous.