Good Article by Reily

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Jan 3, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

2. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Unlike some other teams that just whine about how unfair it is, TCU actually did something proactive to help themselves. They joined a BCS conference. I doubt an undefeated TCU will ever be shut out of the MNC in the future, but of course it's possible. There's a travesty just about every other year in the NCAA and it's not just non-AQ schools that get screwed over.

They looked really good against Wisconsin, but I'm not sure why Clay didn't get more carries.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Yeah bdub, I understand you are a Utah fan and you have a complexion about being a non-aq school, and that is justifiable by any measure. But I am a Penn State fan, we have been undefeated, and uncrowned more times than any other team in the country. The current system, and the prior system aren't perfect but hey that is the situation. If the two teams in the MNC weren't undefeated, and weren't from power conferences you would have even more to your argument. But I doubt if you have much of a case this year.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Easy, I don't think the system is fair to any team. Any team regardless of being a non AQ team or not should have a shot at the MNC if they go undefeated. Its not about me being a Utah fan or not, its about wanting to see the best teams play for a chance to win it all.

Rhino, I agree I can't believe they didn't run the bowl on every play, TCU had no answer to their run game.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

In the end, you just can't fight the money. Being a Buckeye fan, I have to live with the fact that my squad is going to get looks they don't always deserve from the BCS, just because guys like me will pack any venue the Buckeyes play in.

I feel bad for UConn. They got roped into buying more tickets than they can sell, paying for more hotel rooms than they can fill, and taking care of all the other expenses just to go and get whipped by a team they had no business playing. UConn might have gotten some exposure, but they paid huge for it. BY the way, those costs are all required by the BCS. The schools are required to buy these things. It's in their contract with the BCS. The cost eventually gets passed on to the students. That's irony for you.

As for TCU and the other non-AQ schools - this game validates nothing. Now, before you go and skewer me, hear me out. It validates nothing because there is nothing that needs to be validated. Utah whipped Bama, and Boise beat OU in the greatest game I have ever seen. Whether or not these teams can play in the big game is a questions that was answered long before this year ever started, and the fans of these schools should be insulted by the fact that we're still having the conversation.

Yes, their schedules are not as tough. But no one will play them, either. Now, if a Sun Belt school runs the table, I think we can blow them off. If a MAC school does the same, they may not be worthy. But the Mountain West and WAC are tough enough to warrant consideration, as long as the school coming out didn't cupcake it up in the non-con. Boise whipped a better-than-this-year's Oregon squad last year, and beat VaTech and Oregon State (who everyone thought was a top 20 team at the start of the season) this year. Auburn pays for their guys, (and was on the ropes several times this season) and Oregon beat Tennessee, New Mexico, and Portland State in the non-con, and then won out in a weak conference. Props for the Stanford win, but that's about it.

Bottom line - the two best teams are not playing for it all. They're good, but it's a weak game, as exciting as it may turn out to be.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

That is the biggest myth in college football, outside of SEC speed but that is another story. Boise State cries about not being played but they aren't willing to play anyone on equal terms. They want to be respected as a "major player" in FBS but they are asking for up to 2 million to come play someone. They and Nebraska couldn't work out a deal for a home and home because they wanted to host a game for free and then charge Nebraska over a million to come visit. You can't have it both ways. They need to either act like a big school, or act like a little school. What is it going to be?

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

What they want other schools to pay to get them to play them has nothing to do with how good of a team they are. Either way no schools play each other on equal terms. For instance Boise State went to Fed Ex field to play Va. Tech this year, a virtual home game for Va. Tech and I would be very suprised if Boise State didnt lose money on that trip.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We can make these arguments all day, and across sports, too. Butler is a good example, as is Gonzaga. While I tend to doubt the johnny-come-latelys, teams that have put several seasons together are probably legit. Boise, TCU, Utah, BYU, even Nevada and sometimes Fresno are probably worth real consideration if the put in a good year. There will always be doubt because of the conference affiliation, but these guys are winning enough. They aren't really doing anything shocking when they beat a big school. Boise beating OU was a shocker. Utah beating Bama was a shocker. BUt no one was really surprised when Boise beat Oregon last year, or VaTech this year, and no one was blown away by TCU's win. We're just not shocked anymore, and that means these teams have arrived, if you ask me.