Goodbye NCAA Football

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Shaun Mason, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest news/2013/july/ncaa will not renew ea sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

---

Read it and weep.

2. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Oh. wow. ... That's all I've got

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yeah I saw that. I sure hope patches are able to polish '14 up nicely as it looks like I'll be playing this one for quite a while.

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

On the bright side, I guess I have no reason to buy an Xbox One anymore.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Well, that just sucks. I can't think of nothing else other than that.

6. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Really sucks. Do you think online dynasties will still be playable come this time next year on 14 or will they pull the plug on the servers?

Also, if one of the game changers could get some comments from the NCAA staff I'm sure that would be an extremely compelling interview

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

8. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

They may still be able to liscence the conferences, and just drop the NCAA part of it. So "College Football 15" with all the teams still in it. Although I'm not sure how many of the conferences will want to not disturb the peace, and side with NCAA on this one.

9. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

So, on a scale of 1-Petrino after crashing a bike, how concerned should I be that there won't be another NCAA game next year?

I don't really understand all this legality stuffs going on.

• Like Like x 2
  10. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Hopefully they can perfect this game to the best of their abilities before then.

My thoughts do go out to all the people who have lost jobs with this.

11. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Walk On

They would need to get licensing with each individual university, conference, the Heisman, the bowls, etc. Then they could call it College Football 15 like lere2001 said. It's a big undertaking and depending on the profit margins EA makes on NCAA its debatable whether it's worth the effort. I hope they do it.

Which it sounds like they aren't going to...sad face.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

They already have that, sounds like. I'm not as concerned after finding that out.

13. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Walk On

what about the report that their last day is December 1st?

14. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

I just hope that they don't just give up on this game and actually work until Dec. 1st to patch up and update this game to the best of their abilities. I know it's hard when you're losing your job, but I can only hope.

15. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Also, if they do go ahead and make College Football 15, the great teambuilder feature will have to be pretty big re: number of teams allowed.

16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

17. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Just fuck... I never thought I'd see the day. A moment of silence please.

18. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

(n)

I fell a bit of depression coming on...

I can't imagine not having NCAA every year. Hopefully, with all of the money they are raking in on NFUT, they can figure out a way to keep it coming.

This is very depressing news though. :(

19. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

20. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  21. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Well this is fucking gay... goddam lawyers.. OMlawdog

• Like Like x 1
  22. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

From Yahoo.com
    "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game," read the statement. "The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo."

This is, of course, in response to the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit over using the likenesses of college players without compensating them. The NCAA claims it's "confident in its legal position," but this is clearly a concession. However, notice that the NCAA is only denying the use of their name and logo, because the licensing of the collegiate programs themselves is outsourced to the Collegiate Licensing Company, which represents the individual schools and conferences. (The CLC is also named in the O'Bannon lawsuit.)
    So all this specific move means is that EA Sports will not have a college football video game called "NCAA Football 2015" next year. What it could portend is the CLC adjusting or severing their deal with EA Sports so they're not liable in any future suits like the O'Bannon case. The individual schools or leagues could also strike deals with EA Sports, meaning that perhaps instead of "NCAA Football 2015," you could have "MAC Football 2015."

23. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Guys, it's ok. We still have FIFA

• Like Like x 6
  24. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

They should just name it College Football 2015, make all the teams generics and have it like the Total Extreme Warfare wrestling game where someone could go in and put all the names/coaches/schools and shit like that, then they could add in suspensions and AD mode. It would be no holds barred in what they wanted to do.

25. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Wow that is terrible news. I was looking forward to seeing how the game would play on the next generation of consoles. Hopefully everything works itself out and we have some type of college football game around this time next year. If I have to go back to playing Madden I may be done with football games.

• Like Like x 1