Goose...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, May 30, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

your team is dirty. But now maybe less dirty.

I predict Pelini is next.

2. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

3. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Sad to say the only difference between college players/program and the pros is that one group goes to class, well part of the time and
    the latter has moved on.

In a way the pro game is more real, while the college game in terms of practices is somewhat clouded, every
    program, in any year, could be questioned on its practices

Maybe its time to call a spade a spade. college athletes on scholarships are really pros getting paid, and treat
    the college game as such...

4. Goose

Goose Walk On

I've heard Pelini, Meyer, Gruden, and Bob Stoops. I'd love anyone of them. I can't say that I don't agree with the University pressuring him out, but he was and still is a hell of a coach. The Ohio State had no choice but force Tressel to resign, you can't lie that bad and keep your job coaching football. No I hear there are more investigations involving Pryor.

5. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i assume that you will be enforcing the same 5 game suspension for your players? only fair I think:)...

as soon as a Penn State guy rapes or gropes or feels up some poor girl, I will suspend them to keep it classy in your honor

6. Goose

Goose Walk On

Yes sir, and any of the other 28 that get suspended. I might just kick Pryor for being an ass. Who in the hell shows up to a players only meeting in a brand spanking new sportscar??????

7. vatechhokie01

ftr gramps, I fundamentally disagree with your line of thinking. To be sure, there is abuse and lack of care and obvious lack of integrity within the current game, but your solution is a horrible over-reaction and produces a glaring false choice.

I agree that crap is going on at quite a few schools... yes, all schools at some level. But this kind of shit is unbelievable. First of all, I fundamentally deny that all the coaches act like Tressel (or even as the OSU AD has). His actions are so overboard and blatantly stupid that most are simply smart enough not to (unless Tressel was simply "smart" enough to know this was coming and ride the train storing up cash for when it did come down, which would def line up with how unbelievably selfish he is).

But this was ridiculous. And as much as I'm sure it goes on at some other places, and as much as I'm all for (NOT "paying" but) offering stipends and some pay for players... this was every bit on that coach. Some coaches have some integrity and care about kids (and no, I'm not even implying "mine"... not my point... I don't think Mike London at UVA would ever do this shit!). Tressel is an absolutely unbelievable and embarassing example of lack of integrity... regardless of profession or system or events or circumstance.

I honestly feel bad for OSU. Just embarassing and sad. And I'm unwilling to jump on the simplistic "yeah the game is corrupt" bandwagon... at least not without holding the old privileged educated rich and fortunate white man responsible.

I don't think OSU is dirtier than all other programs. Absolutely a silly statement and I hate when that is thrown around at specific schools. Every program has and is gonna have its arrests, problems, dumb decisions, issues of integrity and be the product of being called "dirty" every once in a while. But this...

Jim Tressel is a dick. And the AD is an idiot. And as much as the game's current system fundamentally victimizes the uneducated, less fortunate, and unprivileged student athlete... Jim Tressel didn't just victimize em. He blatantly said, "I don't give an F about you!"

Here's to hoping for a better man.

8. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Isn't an athletic scholarship a form of payment for that player's services?

9. vatechhokie01

over-simplistic. but yes, i can agree with that.

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

All Tressel had to do was suspend the players as soon as he found out and give his information to the NCAA and the Compliance committe at OSU and he'd still have his job today. The fact that he lied about it and let the players play pisses me off.

11. vatechhokie01

^^^word. appreciate this sentiment from an OSU fan.

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i have a feeling that tressel thought he was too "smart" to get caught. I think his smug demenoar is what got him canned

13. Goose

Goose Walk On

Absolutely Mullen. That and why in the hell did he e-mail the guy. Face to face conversations with no witnesses can't be proven.

14. brza37

brza37 Walk On

Maybe you could make that argument at some point in the history of college sports but DI football and basketball have been huge billion-dollar businesses for decades now and the relation what a player brings in compared to what he gets is so far out of whack I couldn't consider the scholarship to be payment anymore.
    I'm actually a huge advocate for paying college athletes (at least for football and basketball) though. You give each team member a reasonable flat-rate salary based on a fixed-percentage of what the school makes each year and allow them to do private advertisement or sell their "memorabilia" and you won't have this problem, at least not on the level that its rumored to be throughout the NCAA. Its ridiculous that some schools are turning profits year in and year out upwards of $40 million and the kids that get them to the bowl games, fill those stadiums, have their jerseys sold, are represented in video games etc. just get room & board & an education that is more often than not comprimised due to the demands the sport puts on them. That combined with the fact that in football you have no other option but to commit yourself to this system for at least 2 years if you ever want to play professionally makes the whole thing seemingly illegal.
    My feelings on player pay aside, Tressel broke the rules so yeah he should be gone.
    Is he the only one who is doing it? I seriously doubt that.
    Is this rule violation unfair to other college athletes? Maybe, but there are practices that don't break any rules that are much more detrimental to student athletes, smaller schools and the game as a whole than it is to ignore the fact that players were trading memorabilia for tatoos and other stuff. Oversigning should be the focus of NCAA sanctions. Its easy to track and to police but the NCAA doesn't give a shit:
    http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/recruiting-numbers/

And now that my rant is over, where and when do you all think Pryor will end up in the NFL?

15. Goose

Goose Walk On

Pryor and the rest of the 5 in the supplemental draft easy.

But I disagree with paying student athlete's. The only way I'd be cool with giving them a small stipen would be if there were no scholarships. Each and every scholarship athlete gets a FREE COLLEGE DEGREE. Mine cost me 60,000 that I'll be paying on for a long time. And I don't want to hear that they need spending money. They all get university apparel to wear they all get free food and can have free boarding if they choose. If they want to live off campus, tell their mom's and dad's to get a second job to send them money. They are student athlete's not professional athlete's.

16. brza37

brza37 Walk On

Yeah, they don't NEED the money for themselves. I'm with you on that.
    I just think the amount of revenue that the athletes generate for the schools in comparison to what they get back is just completely out of proportion these days. And the only way to correct that is to give the players a fair cut of that revenue. DI football and basketball have all the characteristics of professional sports franchises except the players don't get paid proportionally.

For example, U of Texas Football earned $94 million in revenue last year for a whopping profit of $69 million according to Forbes. According to utexas the most expensive tuition, rooma & board combo (Full-time, Non-resident off-campus $35,914 – 46,098) is a max of $46,000 per year. Times that with the max scholarships 85 x $46,000 and you've only got $3.91 million. That means the total revenue is more than 24 times the cost of personnel. Total profit is 17.6 times personnel cost. If you split the revenue by the amount of scholarship players that means each player is generating more than $1million per season. I know its a fuzzy calculation, there are a lot of other personnel costs, travel, equipment, marketing expenses and what not but there's no need to calculate all of that to see that there is a huge discrepancy here.
    And on the flipside, there are student-athletes getting the same "compensation"/full scholarship despite playing a sport that actually costs the school more money than it generates.

I'm just saying that I don't think the relation is fair and although I like the ideal of student-athlete with the emphasis on "student" first and athlete is only in an amateur manner (sport for fun, school pride etc.) the reality is that it is in fact a professional sport these days.

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

But some/most of that money goes to the Water Polo team, the Lacrosse team, tennis and such. If those profits aren't there then the only college sports will be the ones that support themselves Football and Men's basketball and even most schools would drop mens basketball since it's not profitable unless you're in a big conference.