Gotta do a little explainin'

Discussion in 'The Pride' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, so here's the story behind my running it up on Navy:

The game was going fine, but it got outta hand in the third qtr. I crossed the 60-point mark, and decided to mail it in. I set the clock to conservative and proceeded to run up the middle. I'm up 62-7 at the time, and there's a minute left in the third qtr. Like I said ... it got outta hand.

So I burn a bunch of clock, dive short of a TD, kneel three times inside the 5, and kick the FG. Not much time left. I kick to him ...

... and that SOB breaks three tackles in the backfield, two more in open field, and goes 75 yards on the first play from scrimmage. (Mind you, tackling is set to conservative so my guys will wrap up, and I have a 99 D to his 77 O. I was pretty pissed. I hate it when the CPU simply won't go down.

Then he goes for the on-side kick, down 65-14 with a minute left. Almost broke the controller.

So, long story short - I put in the starters, went play action over the top, scored, went for two, & converted.

Why did I go for two? "Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

Anyway, if I got a beating coming for running it up, I understand. Just couldn't help myself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mikeL9286

mikeL9286 Walk On

lol. I don't really care myself. I think that rule is there mostly for user games anyway.

"If they didn't want us to run up the score, they should have stopped us from getting in the endzone"

3. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

The only time running it up really bothers me is if someone is manufacturing stats for a Heisman contender. I've had times where I've put in my backups in the third quarter, only run the ball, and still endedup scoring 3 more TDs.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Now, I'm guilty of throwing that last TD with Braxton, but I wasn't thinking stats. It was a pure CPU revenge thing. I went from Tressel to Meyer in about a minute of game time. :):wtf::inpain::banghead::mad::devil:

I actually took my foot off at 55 points, but I got a pick six to go over 60. The rest was just what I like to call a proportional response.