GOTW 2: Saints vs Falcons

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by _MG_, Feb 13, 2012.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    1-0 2014 DEFENDING NFC SOUTH CHAMPION SAINTS
    VS
    1-0 GUTTED OUT SCRAPPY FALCONS
    WHY IS IT GAME OF THE WEEK?
    The New Orleans Saints won the NFC South last season, despite a 3-way brawl between them the Falcons and the Panthers. This division is up for grabs again, and with the suddenly SCARY Panthers 2-0 and rolling out of control, this is a big game for both teams to keep within distance of Carolina. That and, frankly, no one wants to lose to a division rival this early in the season.
    Offensively for the Saints, the biggest change from this season to last was their upgrade at HB. The Peyton Hillis experiment is over, and GM BK went out and made a splash, battling with the Bears and Rams before finally agreeing to a contract with the defending MVP, runningback Sterlin Freeman. With this new running back, the offense will look to be more balanced then in seasons past. Veteren QB Colt McCoy returns for his second season in the Big Easy, and hopes it is as successful as his first. Despite a lot of interceptions, McCoy did a good job leading his team to wins and showed he can move the ball consistently with the weapons around him, especially another key returner, AJ Green. I expect more of the same from Green, as he has become one of the most dominant offensive players in the league today. Third year tight end Sean Scroggins looks to have taken over the #1 spot at tight end, so look for him to have a big game and 2015 campaign for the Saints.
    The Saints defense looks the same. They struggled against the pass last season but was more than fine against the run. Jonathan Vilma still anchors this defense, and some other key guys around him are free safety Malcolm Jenkins, defensive tackle Bryce Houston and the two solid corners Jerraud Powers and Marcus Saunders. Very solid defense, lots of talent. The Falcons have their hands full.
    Now looking at ATL, this off season was a mess. They were unable to resign young star OJ Morgan, so their defense took a major hit. Add to that their dependable tight end Owen Daniels retiring as well as superstar WR Roddy White and the sudden release of Peyton Manning and this team is completely gutted compared to the teams of the past that won multiple NFC South titles. It will be a looooong year, Falcons fans.
    Now, this is not to say the Falcons have no talent. I think it is a credit to the organization to lose that many great players in one off-season and still have the depth to win games, as they did week 1 and should do all season. The reigns have been given to second-year QB Ceejay Kennedy out of UCLA. Many have compared Kennedy to another QB in the NFC South, Cam Newton. I wouldn't go that far, as Newton in my opinion has a much better arm. Still, Kennedy has a decent arm and very good legs. I think he might struggle early on, but eventually he should figure it out and be able to play at a fairly high level for this offense. The Falcons went out and replaced Daniels with Aaron Hernandez, who could become one of the best tight ends in the NFL. I really liked this move as the offense was desperate for weapons. I see Hernandez having a great game for the Falcons, as I don't really notice any linebackers on the Saints being able to cover him. They still have Mendenhall, and their main focus this season will be running the ball. This game will come down to who stops the run. Julio Jones is also still a difference maker.
    Defensively, most pieces remain the same minus the loss of OJ Morgan. Look for Ray Edwards to continue sacking the QB (had 6 sacks week 1) and newly acquired Lofa Tatupu to lead this team in tackles. The Falcons like to play a cover-2, tampa 2 style defense and rarely blitz. This defense is dependent on the front 4 getting a pass rush. They might not be AS GOOD as they were last season because of the loss of the monster pass rusher in Morgan, but I still expect them to stay in the upper half of defenses in HK.
    OFFENSIVE ADVANTAGE:
    [​IMG]
    Have to go with the Saints here. Comparable wide receiver, tight end and HB, but New Orleans has a big advantage at QB and until I see it out of Ceejay Kennedy, I am not a believer.​
    DEFENSIVE ADVANTAGE:
    [​IMG]
    Two very good defenses, but the Saints kept everyone intact from last season and are younger. I think both Qbs will have a lot of time to pass, as I don't see either team tallying up a lot of sacks versus the opponents offensive lines. The secondary for the Saints is better, but I would take the Falcons front seven. Toss up here, but give me the Saints.​
    PREDICTION:
    This is a hell of a game. I believe will be high scoring, as I think both teams will have success throwing and running. These two teams know each other very well. These coaches are both veterans and will get the most out of their respective teams. I think on the big stage the Falcons play better than the Saints. Until the Saints win a big game, I will always pick against them in a big game. I think Freeman does well but McCoy throws some interceptions and maybe fumbles, leading Mendenhall to some easy touchdown scampers. The key to this game is Ceejay Kennedy. If he stays within himself and is the game manager I expect him to be, it will bee very close, but in the Georgia Dome I will give the Falcons a slight edge. I know New Orleans has a better team, I just don't see them winning this game. Prove me wrong, Saints.​
    SCORE:
    [​IMG]
    Falcons 30 Saints 24​

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Falcons 38
    Saints 17

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Saints 31, Falcons 17

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Edwards had 6 sacks

5. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    sorry, missed it. fixed.

6. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Cejay Kennedy kinda sucks. Like MG said, depends on him. If he is good I have a chance. If he sucks like last week I probably don't.

BK has beat me twice in a row after I beat him like 4 times in a row. Have the tides turned in the Falcons-Saints rivalry?

7. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

[​IMG]

Never thought I'd see the day when BK would be ballin' all over GTG's face.

I don't know who to pick.

8. DC

DC Shake n Bake

[​IMG]