GOTW #7: Marshall vs. West Virginia (Friends of Coal Bowl)

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by maij17, Sep 12, 2010.

1. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

GOTW #7: Marshall vs. West Virginia (Friends of Coal Bowl)

Marshall (dannyboy) vs. #11 West Virginia

It will be the annual meeting between Marshall and WVU in the Friends of Coal Bowl. Marshall will be looking to spoil WVU national title hopes and notch their first win in the series.

Marshall
    The Thundering Herd have wheeled off 4 straight games since the arrival of Coach Dannyboy and find themselves in great postion for a C-USA East championship berth. The arrival of QB Willie Korn under Coach Dannyboy has spear headed Marshall’s offense.

West Virginia
    Geno Smith, Geno Smith, Geno Smith. The Mountaineers have moved from the triple option and have became a more pass happy offense with the departure of HB Noelle Devine. Geno Smith has taken the offense under his control leading the Big East in passing with and throwing for 1290yds, 15td’s and 4int’s. WVU will look to grab another Big East conference title and BCS berth in 2011.

What to Watch For:

Marshall Secondary vs. WVU Passing Game
    WVU leads the Big East in passing thanks to the maturation of JR. QB Geno Smith, their were questions about the WVU offense this year with the departure of HB Noelle Devine, and Smith has answered his critics. Does Marshall have the athletes to handle the Mountaineers Passing Offense.

WVU 3-3-5 vs. Marshall Offense
    In the midst of their 4 game winning streak Marshall has found offense thorugh the air. QB Willie Korn has lead the way. This will be the first real test for Coach Dannyboy this season as WVU has superior athletes compared to Tulsa who also runs the 3-3-5 defense. Coach Dannyboy’s adjustments to WVU’s 3-3-5 will be the deciding factor in this rivalry game.

Outcome​
    West Virginia 31 Marshall 20
    If the game was in Huntington, the Thundering Herd would have a better shot, but with the game in Morgantown I see the Mountaineers crowd getting to an overachieving Marshall team, Geno Smith looks to have an easy time with the Herd’s defense and the Mountaineers defense should confuse QB Willie Korn enough to get the W.

2. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Great write up bro. Looks like Marshall is going to have their hands full with West Va. Hopefully the Herd can pick apart the 3-3-5 and get the win.

Good Luck Marshall

3. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

"We are playing really good football right now and we need to continue to get better this week in practice. We are going to be playing in a pretty hostile environment, but most of our kids are juniors and seniors and have been in those types of situations before. I expect them to come out and try to make some big plays early to get the crowd into the game. If we can protect the football and execute on offense, while not allowing the big play to beat us, we have a chance to win this football game."

-Exerpt from Marshall Coach Dannyboy0003's mid week news conference.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Friends of Coal Bowl...Great to learn about these little annual meetings that the press doesnt ever talk about. Great write up as always maij17.

Go Marshall!

5. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Got absolutely dismantled. I fear I may have played this game after having one too many....summary coming soon.

6. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

west virginia is no joke man! always next time :)

7. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Don't drink and game lol
    You'll getem next year bro

8. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Don't drink and game lol
    You'll getem next year bro

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

Wish I could say I was always drunk when I played my games. But then I would probably play better.