Grading the Draft- Picks 1-7

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 27, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

[​IMG]

Time to look at the grades for the 2012 1st round player draft. Here are your grades for Picks 1-7

[​IMG]

1. 3B Carlos Castello (Baltimore Orioles)

Pros: ++ Contact, Power, Eye, Avoid K's and Arm, Work Ethic, Almost ready for the show

Cons: Although he should be easy to sign, his $7.5 million signing bonus is massive. The Orioles can afford it though. His range at 3rd is limited, and will commit his share of errors. He is also slow on the basepaths, but he wasn't drafted to lead off.

Notes: First, it's obvious Ryal either had the same needs as me, or is a great judge of talent. This was the guy who was #1 on my board. Both due to talent, and needs. The question I have though? Was it worth adding two prospects to his own pick (#4) to move up to get him? I'm not sure the three guys ahead of him would have taken Castello.

Overall Grade: A

[​IMG]

2. SP Berde "Extreme" Lauritzen (Minnesota Twins)

Pros: ++ Stuff, Movement, Control, All Pitches, Intelligence, Work Ethic. + GB %. Left Hander, Highly developed already

Cons: Low Stamina, $6 million signing bonus

Notes: Easily the best SP available in the draft. It's rare to find a left hander with this kind of stuff, and he tops out at 96 MPH. His Stamina is a bit of a concern, as High Strikeout guys tend to have higher pitch counts. With his movement and command, combined with his intelligence though, I see no reason to see him not be able to complete games. Think Randy Johnson at 6'2"

[​IMG]

3. CF Tommy Morris (Seattle Mariners)

Pros: ++ Speed, Contact, Eye, Avoid K, Defense, Intelligence, Nearly ML ready

Cons: No Power, $5 million signing bonus

Notes: Awesome defensively, great eye and contact ability. Has the speed to leg out the infield singles. Has great gap hitting ability, which will turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples in Seattle. He also has great leadership abilities, and reminded me of Ichiro.

Overall Grade: A+

[​IMG]

4. SP Armando Flores (Houston Astros)

Pros: ++ Movement and GB %, + Control and Stuff, Intelligence, Stamina, Easy Signability, Nearly already developed.

Cons: Fragile and could have injury troubles, $7.5 Million signing Bonus

Notes: Houston traded down adding 2 prospects to pick Flores. With his 8 stamina, Flores will go deep into ball games. If I was his GM, I would worry each complete game that an injury could happen. I think his high signability had a lot to do with this pick, but there were better SP I like other than Flores.

Overall Grade: A-

[​IMG]

5. SP Michael Nash (Chicago Cubs)

Pros: Cheap, Easily signable, ++ Movement and GB%, + Control and Stuff, Intelligent

Cons: Fragile. High school player. Only 2 good pitches with a very underwhelming changeup

Notes: High School players scare me. Especially ones who are not going to work hard. Add in the fact that this kid has already had some injury troubles and just recently learned how to throw a changeup. My least favorite pick so far.

Overall Grade: C+

[​IMG]

6. MR Dan "Baby" Thomas (San Diego Padres)

Pros: ++ Stuff, Movement, Control, GB %, Two great pitches, Great Work Ethic, Cheap, High Stamina

Cons: Position

Notes: I am not a fan of taking a reliever this high in the draft. However, with the lack of standout relievers as well as the fact that this guy has EVERYTHING you want in a pitcher. His stamina is very, very high. If he develops a 3rd pitch, he can immediately be slotted into the rotation. Is this a huge gamble this high in the draft?

[​IMG]

7. SS Jesus Amador (Kansas City Royals)

Pros: Durable, + Contact and speed, ++ Avoid K and Gap hitting, ++ range, Intelligent, Cheap

Cons: High School player, Lazy

Notes: I don't like this pick. There are a couple of MI I like better than Amador. Add in the fact that he has low work ethic, is very underdeveloped and is a high schooler and I really hope this kid fulfills his potential but at this point, I don't see it happening. He has great range, but is prone to the error. This is the kind of kid who does a lot well, but not a whole lot amazingly.

Overall Grade: B-

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

typical pick for the Royals.. LOL.. eh Danny?

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Ryal is doing picks 8-14, Ill work on 15-21

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Lets be honest, if he does fulfill his potential it won't be with the Royals. The Yankees and Mets should be short listing this guy.....