Grading the Draft: Picks 15-21

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 27, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SP Ron Burns (Cleveland Indians)

Pros: ++ Stuff, Pitches, Durability, Stamina, GB%, Velocity, Very good development already

Cons: Lazy, High School Player

Notes: As I have mentioned... I don't like High School players very much. Especially ones with low work ethic. It looks like Justin did his homework on this kid though. His Stuff and movement are already well developed, so that adds some value to this pick. He has a very good skillset, is durable and has excellent stamina.

Overall Grade: B+

[​IMG]

16. SP Marcus Mendoza (Washington Nationals)

Pros: ++ Stuff and Fastball, + Other pitches, Stamina, intelligence, Velocity, Cheap, well developed

Cons: Above average control and movement

Notes: This dude has an excellent Fastball that tops out at 99 MPH. One of the hardest throwers in the draft. Outside of that, he doesn't do much else well, but he is very well developed already at 20 years old. As much as I want to give Nick a bad grade on this kid, I like him.

Overall Grade: B+

[​IMG]

17. 2B Paul Martin (Detroit Tigers)

Pros: ++ Contact, Gap Hitting, Eye, Work Ethic, Durable, Cheap, Very well developed, above average speed

Cons: Average defense, no power

Notes: You want a solid hitter? This is where you start. I absolutely love Martin. The best eye in the draft, and its very well developed. With his contact, this kid is going to be an OBP machine. He doesn't have that nice power/eye combo you want, but his contact/eye combo is sufficent. The only thing I don't like is his defense. I wish it was better, but he wont be a liability in the field.

Grade: A

[​IMG]

18. CF Jose Rosa (Arizona Diamondbacks)

Pros: ++ Speed, + Contact, Power, Defense, avoid K

Cons: Normal peripherals (Int, WE, etc)

Notes: I honestly think this is the first 5 tool guy I have looked at. Contact? Check. Speed? Check. Power? Check. Defense? Check. Arm? Check. Fantastic player, whose natural positon should be LF and Im hoping Cole will move him there. Steal of the draft? So far it is.

Grade: A++

[​IMG]

19. 3B Tyler Nash (LA Angels)

Pros: ++Contact, Avoid K's, + Eye, Durability

Cons: Lazy, Defense, No speed, average power for a corner infielder

Notes: Nash will make up for his lack of power with great contact and eye. He is certainly an OBP type guy, but you would like to see more power out of your corner infielders. His defense at the hot corner is average, and he does not have any speed. Of big concern though is is laziness. He is already 20 years old and has a long way to go until he is ready.

Grade: B

[​IMG]

20. LF Santiago Rosales (San Francisco)

Pros: ++ Speed, Intelligence, Gap Hitting and Range, +contact and arm.

Cons: Young, Underdeveloped, poor eye

Notes: One of the best basestealers in the draft. Rosales plays pretty good defense, and should be able to turn a lot of singles into XBH. Did I mention he has great speed? He is suited for LF and does not have the power you want at that spot. He is very underdeveloped, but still only 18 years old with a normal work ethic. His eye is a big concern. Im not sure how he will do in the leadoff spot.

Grade: B

[​IMG]

21. RF Justin Lumsd (New York Yankees)

Pros: Above average speed, contact, gap, defense, Durable

Cons: Very underdeveloped, lazy

Notes: Lumsd needs to not only buy a vowel, but spend less time reading and more time focusing on baseball. He has a lot of good qualities and should be a pretty good player in RF, if he develops. Thats a big if. He's already 21 years old and has a lot of growing to do before he can make the roster with the New York Yankees. Of all the picks Ive looked at to this point, he is my least favorite. Even if he develops fully, I don't think he will do a whole lot during his career.

Grade: D

• Like Like x 4
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Have a very serious plan for him...

Strasburg, Gio, Mendoza, Jackson, 5th up in the air...

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Jose Rosa ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah good thing I told you about him so you didn't take that hitter, huh?

5. KnightNoles

funny thing is... it was either Buxton or Rosa

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

funny thing is when you said you were going for a hitter, i had to change your course any way possible. win, win situation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KnightNoles

touche.. lol call you cleo cole