Grantland...The Season So Far...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mcyork, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well we are almost halfway through the regular season and two weeks away from the 1st BCS poll. I thought it was a great time to spark up some debate on the two polls that are out and have a look ahead at roadblocks for some of the title contenders. So I sat down Sunday morning and grabbed the paper opened the sports section took a drink of coffee and almost spit it out as I glanced at the Coaches Poll. Why the love fest with the SEC? Well I will try to delve into that among other topics sit back and enjoy my rants.
    Lets start off at the top with the SEC. The SEC has 9 teams ranked in the Top 25 with 5-1 Arkansas sitting just outside. 9 TEAMS!!! Are you kidding me???? 2-3 Georgia is ranked 25th,0-3 in the conference and 25th in the polls!! They have lost to Tenn, USC and LSU with wins over an overrated Clemson and a 1-4 North Texas team. How can you vote for them? They lost to UT by 30!! Why not vote for Arkansas they have at least won an SEC game (beating #15 A&M). Bama has a tough remaining schedule with games against UT,LSU, Arkansas and that rivalry game at the end of the season. They win out and they will be in the MNC if they slip up I can still see them their with 1 loss as long as its not LSU getting bounced from the SEC Championship game. Surprise teams yeah the SEC has one. UT is 5-1...Butch Jones in his 1st year has done something Dereck Dooley couldn’t do in his 3 years in Knoxville. He kicked UGA and UF’s asses to the tune of 44-14 and 41-16, he has the team ranked in late October and his lone loss is in Week 3 to #2 Oregon in Autzen. Joining UT with a chance at the NC game is fellow SEC east teams UF and USC and thats if they remain as one loss teams and beat the SEC West winner of LSU or Bama. I think the polls will work themselves out and teams will start to drop out as the losses mount up. This League is TOUGH and I expect at least one of the teams from here in the MNC game.
    UT was a surprise team lets look at a surprise conference. The Pac 12 has 6 teams in the Top 25, 4 of them in the Pac 12 North. Undefeated #2 Oregon and the surprise team of the conference #4 UW are the bannermen for a shot at the National Title game. They will face each other this week the loser will have to hope for a slip up to still have a shot as Stanford and Cal also only have 1 loss in conference. The South is a race featuring UCLA with the early lead and 4 of the remaining 5 having only 1 loss. The winner of the Oregon-UW tilt is needing the South to keep moving up the polls to make the Pac 12 Title game winner look good to the BCS commitee. I think it lines up for a team from the Pac 12 to be in the title game.
    Now we look out there and find a few more undefeated teams in conference races that are wide open. The Big 10 is one with Nebraska, who is sitting at 6-0 with wins over only 1 Top 25 team (#17 UCLA). They have no one remaining on the schedule that is ranked at this time and the Big 10 has only one other ranked team in 4-1 #5 OSU. Nebraska has really only one challenger in the west in Northwestern who is sitting at 3-1 and hosting the Huskers in a couple of weeks. If they were to win out and play OSU in the Big 10 Championship that could propel them into a chance at the MNC. They have to have a lot of things break there way but there’s a chance. OSU feels the same way if NU can remain unbeaten and they were to take them down with a couple of breaks in the SEC they could sneak in but I just don’t see it the conference is too weak this year. Michigan State is also 4-1 but currently unranked. Oh and how about Indiana sitting at 4-1 with wins over..... uhhh really nobody of worth but IU is 4-1!!!
    The Big 12 has two undefeated team in Texas and Baylor. The Longhorns sit at #3 with an early season win over Ole Miss and a big game this week in the Red River Rivalry against #10 OU. If they get by OU they still have TCU and Okie State remaining on an otherwise weak schedule. I can see them getting to the MNC if one of Bama or Oregon slip up but they will not jump the teams and UW could jump them if they can pull off the upset this week against Oregon. Baylor has an outside shot if they were to win out and move up over a lot of 1 loss teams the have yet to be tested by a good team so we will hold out judgement on them. OU is the only other real threat here and they sit almost too far out to jump all the 1 loss teams in front of them. OKST is ranked at #23 and are in the same predicament.
    The ACC looked to have a title shot with Louisville sitting at #6 until a tough loss to Temple in OT ruined their shot. The ACC has several good teams yet not one great one. I think that NC State the last undefeated team has got a shot to make it to the MNC but sitting at #14 they need a lot of things to go their way especially needing their conference brethren to move up the polls and that Week 14 Matchup in Louisville to mean something. In the Coastal seems like its down to three teams in Georgia Tech,North Carolina and Virginia. The perennial big boys of the conference (Miami,Va Tech,FSU and Clemson) are a combined 11-10 overall. This I think is the reason that the conference is getting no respect. The championship game in Charlotte will have two ranked teams but how highly they are ranked is still to be seen.
    Of the others out there UTEP and Fresno State are still 5-0 but unranked, neither team really has a shot other than to bump off a team to get to a BCS game. #9 Notre Dame fell in the polls this week after losing to # 19 Arizona State. They have only one remaining team ranked in the Top 25 on the schedule. Don’t see them in anything worse than a Fiesta Bowl game if they win out.
    Well thats all for this week next week I will look at the Heisman campaign and find out about some of College Football’s top players and what could take them to New York or derail their attempt at glory!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Don't have access to see it.

3. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Good stuff man. Unfortunately, NC State's MNC aspirations took a massive hit this week, leaving no undefeated teams in the ACC

4. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Good shit buddy.

5. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

couldn't get it to embed so copy and pasted lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

I think the 'Cuse is finally going to get the respect it deserves in the polls next week. :)

7. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I just had a stupid ridiculous game against Colorado. Went down 24-7 at the half. It was all I could do to come back FTW.