Grantland

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Sep 29, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

2. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Great article. Curry set us back and then Lalich did the same. Bad luck at the qb spot. I actually read that this morning.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

The only issue I had and Heath would agree is downplaying the importanc of recruiting the 757. Not recruiting the area killed us under Groh. Not an excuse but a fact.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vatechhokie01

My only argument is that you need coaches that can coach! Beams, Bud Foster and Torrian Gray (DB coach and maybe my favorite person on planet earth) have literally built the VT program. Undeniable. Give us middle school players. Dudes will learn to play football.

Groh had some crazy good recruiting classes his first couple years. Gotta coach em up!

My personal prediction? London is all passion and recruiting (a.k.a. the Seth Greenberg of football). Needs to stop calling bizarre fake FGs and throwing star recruits to the wolves their freshmen year. (i.e. Nicholson is getting torched and losing confidence when he should be learning the game and shining for the next 4yrs). Jury still out.

Thoughts?

5. vatechhokie01

But is that writer a UVA grad? Thought that was a darn well written article (tad behind the times maybe) but loved his realistic frustration. Seemed like a fan but not a homer.

Not to mention... did you read Simmons' write-up on the games last night? (Sure ya did.) That dude is not only hilarious... a great.. a GREAT... writer.

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I love Grantland...I don't have to go through my football blogs anymore because they all write there.

7. vatechhokie01

seriously. ESPN is a joke. so glad they broke off and sorta doing their own thing.

8. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

You have already done this Groh-London thing and made the Greenburg comparison. I get it. No need to do it again. Not up for hearing you tell me how bad UVa. is and how incredible VT is.

9. vatechhokie01

whoa... easy.

noted. no more rivalry talk.

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

No worries.

Take a look at the 2008, 2010 classes to see why London is playing so many freshman.

We are terrible, this is the worst defense I can ever recall in the program. Nicholson has to play because there is NO ONE ELSE to play there. He hasn't been getting torched, hard to freaking cover a guy for 15 seconds because there is zero pass rush. I doubt he's losing confidence. Given what this kid has lived through I doubt a few tough games will hurt his confidence. Tell me of a freshmen CB that doesn't struggle in college. It's the toughest position to play.

He is 3rd on the team in tackles and leads the team in pass breakups.

In terms of the true freshmen, Watford, Richardson, Jennings and Romero have all played very well. The issue with this team is that our upperclassmen aren't playing well at all (Greer, Reynolds, Jenkins, COnrath, Mosely, Mcleod...). They are the disappointment, not the freshmen.

London didn't call the fake extra point (not a field goal). It's an option play for the holder. He counted wrong.

This is Mike London's FOURTH year as a head coach at any level. Damn, cut him some slack. It took Beamer 7 years to get VT to more than a 6 win season. London inherited a program that was a mess. THere was ZERO accountability. Groh recruited guys that couldn't stay eligible or out of jail. London has had to rebuild relationships with almost every single high school coach in the state. It is amazing that even with how bad we are, that he will pull back to back top 25 recruiting classes and do extremely well in the 757 (6 of top 10 in 2012, 7 of 10 in 2011 coming to UVa, in that same span Tech has 3 from 2012 and 0 from 2011)

I get tired of hearing the whole, "Groh had good recruits too" thing to discredit the freaking incredible job that London is doing on the recruiting trail. Groh's good recruits mostly ended up getting kicked out of school (ahmad bradshaw, j'courtney williams, peter lalich, mike brown, keith payne, OC Wardlow, Jeffery Fitzgerald...) London's message is much much different than Groh's.

Sorry man, just didn't appreciate taking a great article and then having you use it to tell me again why UVa is so bad.

11. vatechhokie01

they are bad. really really bad. I'm a VT fan. It's a game.

Your response was all the debate, passionate reason for hope, and convo I was looking for. Personally, I loved living in Tennessee and having every SEC fan in the world tell me how much VT, the ACC, and my school was and is an absolute joke and wannabe. Loved the banter. Clearly you don't.

I'll leave it alone.

12. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

It's not fun to banter when 6 wins is a successful year.

Not much I can say.

All I have is recruiting victories which you clearly discredit.

13. vatechhokie01

lol... I don't discredit. London can recruit his ass off. Granted he might do it holding a fake Bible and some tears in his eyes... but it works! (see, there I go again)

thread closed.

I love you and miss your smell... and playing 2k7 college bball together.

I'm an ass... shocker I know. How am I a pastor again? Lord have mercy on my folks.

14. Pro

Pro Walk On

Easy ladies, let's all get along here.

15. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Baptist Pastor?

16. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

so let me get this straight, Grantland is a website? I guess I have seen the commercials but I had no idea what they were about. Good to see you Virigina boys can't get along, i feel like this arguement has been going on since third grade

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pro

Pro Walk On

Grantland is a blog site, started by Bill Simmons.

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Let's just be clear about this: Grantland is ESPN, is Grantland.

19. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Westboro Baptist to be precise

• Like Like x 1
  20. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

well played bonner.

21. vatechhokie01

maybe the most hurtful accusation? I've ever received, lol. ummm... no.

• Like Like x 1
  22. vatechhokie01

and this is literally one of the 1st concessions that ESPN has made basically saying, yea, we are a joke of a journalism site and are losing fans and Bill Simmons doesn't want to be associated but we don't want to lose him and the world is on to us after the Bruce Feldman debacle....

so lets pretend its separate. smart move sadly.

23. vatechhokie01

which reminds me... i randomly watched college fball live on cbs sports network last night. i love bruce feldman. honsetly still mind-boggling that Craig James was who ESPN went to bat for. I want to break my TV everytime I hear his little bitch rat voice.

24. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Jehovah Witness?

25. Goose

Goose Walk On

I hear he's putting in a transfer to Mormonism. He's way too much man for one woman. Or so he thinks. (y)