Group of Death

Discussion in 'FIFA' started by DaMeffodMan, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

So Portugal lands in Group B with the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. Crazy!

Group A is Russia, Czech Republic, Poland, and Greece.
    Group C is Spain, Italy, Croatia, and Ireland.
    Group D is France, England, Sweden, and Ukraine.

I have no idea why they are keeping with this flawed grouping system. Any team in group B would do better to be in any other group. A lot better. Netherlands, Germany, and Portugal are top teams.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Group A = Group of Crap

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

Yeah, Group A is terrible and then Group B is amazing. If they just switched out Portugal, Netherlands, or Germany with one of those teams besides Russia it would be fine.

4. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

What's the actual grouping process? I saw the selection show on at a Mexican restraint friday at lunch. I wasn't able to follow it closely but it looked like a lottery just drawing soccer ball out of bowls...

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Thats pretty much it lol. Random draw. Before that though teams are placed in pots that determine the possibilities they can be drawn with. So there is some degree of already knowing who can't be in your group after the potting process.

6. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

And Poland and Ukraine are the host countries so they along with Spain and Netherlands (last year's final) all were number 1 seeds.

7. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    i've always hated the fact that host nations get their own groups...it creates such unbalance. they should either make it so everyone is sorted by rank, or only worthy countries can host. i'm still disgusted by the fact that qatar is going to get a free pass into the world cup in a few years. poland and ukraine are probably the two worst teams in the entire tournament, and they each get a group built around them. pathetic...

8. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

I completely agree. Quatar in the World Cup will be hilarious. I wonder if they'll show those games on Comedy Central.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

F,in Quatar! Right MoonBBad .

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Eff Quatar.

11. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    not only does qatar get into the world cup for free...they get an entire group built around them. for one day they are spain's equal in soccer...and then the games start

12. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

You guys are hating on Qatar, watch them win or draw at least one game. Playing in the sand all the time has to have its advantages!

13. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    it is sad when the upside for a host nation is they might win or draw one game...

14. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Hosting the World Cup or any international tournaments has too many perks to outweigh the "competitive balance" cons. It brings LOADS of tourists to the country and allows Qatar to play with the big boys for once. I mean really, who goes out of their way to schedule a friendly with them?

15. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    oh i completely agree the perks for Qatar are great, there is no reason they wouldn't want it. but FIFA is the one that makes the decision, and I can't find any reason the perks for Qatar's economy are more important to them than competitive balance in the biggest tournament in the world. when they're choosing the country that should host the world cup, they're looking for the country that can offer the best world cup on and off the field...and qatar absolutely can not offer the best tournament on the field when they kill competitive balance.

sorry i brought up qatar and changed the entire topic of this thread...but the same concept applies to the euro tournament. poland and ukraine are getting the qatar treatment, and when you do that with only a four group tournament, you end up with a group like netherlands, portugal, germany, and poor denmark...gotta feel for them...because theres no more room for a strong team to have their own group

16. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I agree with all your points, i was ultimately being the devil's advocate in supporting the little guy. I love having these kind of discussion because i think its a serious flaw in the international tournaments. FIFA already gives these countries an economic boost in bringing the tournament to them, why give them the celebrity treatment in allowing their 153rd ranked Nation play in the World Cup? I've always felt FIFA was the only governing body that let people have their cake and eat it too.

17. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

Because they think that if Quatar wasn't involved, then there would be empty seats all over the stadium. Yeah....