GT overcomes tough Tiger squad

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Feb 10, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    GT overcomes tough Tiger squad

Georgia Tech went into Death Valley and came out with a 37-24 victory. And again just like their game against Miami, it was a 3rd quarter in which they played their best football.

GT went into this game wanting to run, run and run the ball. Clemson's weakness was up the middle with young DT's but it was a risk considering GT's center really has struggled at times and is a 1st time starter at the position. Nonetheless, GT came out with a run first mentality. This worked for about the 1st quarter but Clemson, who is a team who makes quick adjustments, did so and started to shut down Smith and the GT offense up the gut.

GT would really hinder their chances in the 1st half as they threw an INT and fumbled deep inside Clemson territory which could have resulted in at best 2TD's or at least 6 points off FG's. With a 10-10 score, GT had the ball and wanted to at least get 3 points before kicking off to Clemson in the 2nd half. They would do even better with Jordan Luallen throwing a beautiful 30 yard pass over the Clemson defender for a 17-10 lead. Right before halftime, this seemingly deflated the Tigers.

A GT stop after the half and a Orwin Smith TD run would extend the Georgia Tech lead to 24-10 and then a FG put it to 27-10. Kyle Parker would have enough as on the next possession, he went to his best target, B. McNeal, who took it 69 yards to put Clemson behind by 10. But right before the quarter ended, GT struck again, leaving Clemson with little hope of a comeback. With 9 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, GT QB Luallen hit Nic DiLillo on a quick curl for the 4 yard score to again put Clemson down by 17, 34-17.

A quick responding drive by Clemson would keep Tiger fans hoping that Death Valley would be a happy valley but they never would score again in the game as GT would tighten up their defense and run out the clock for a big time ACC win.

GT QB Jordan Luallen threw for 385 yards and 2TD's
    Freshman FS George Dunn didn't pick off a pass, but he did cause a fumble destroying a Clemson WR in the process. Dunn has caused 11 turnovers so far in his freshman season. He's been a ballhawk but with so many teams eyeing to pass on this young secondary, Dunn certainly is getting the chances to do so.
    Clemson QB Kyle Parker only threw 1 interception but only completed 52% of his passes. He was being hurried and harassed all game.
    Clemson's lack of a running game hurt them. They only rushed 14 times compared to GT's 40 times. The result of TOP? GT- 20:01, Clemson- 11:59
  2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Feb 23, 2009
    Yep I was pretty disappointed in my receivers in this game. With no chance of running the ball at all we needed them to come up big but they continue to miss plays that should have been third down conversions. Hopefully we get McDowell back sonn as our 85 speed half back couldnt even get to the line of scrimmage before his dline danced around my "highly talented" offensive line.
    I thought my defense played much better than the score would indicate. Players were in position to make plays but again failed miserably allowing GTech more plays on offense.