GT's adjustments give them ACC title

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    GT's adjustments give them ACC title

It was clearly evident what both teams wanted to do and that's shut down the run. Orwin Smith and Dustin Clancy were largely ineffective on the ground. Smith rushed for 23 yards on 16 carries while Clancy rushed for 37 yards on 19 carries. With the tone set early that running the ball wouldn't be a wise decision, both teams took it to the air.

GT wanted this to be an all out aerial assault, so they can take advantage of their aggressive secondary led by CB Jermaine Bell and FS George Dunn. Early on though, that aggressiveness led to more mistakes than anything. The combo of QB Wesley to WR Jheranie Boyd was the UNC offense early on. Boyd kept torching the star CB of the GT defense, Jermaine Bell. His speed and perfect passes by Wesley kept getting Bell beat out there. Throughout the 1st quarter, Boyd was the man but it led to no points early in the 1st. The 1st score came on a Luallen INT caught by CB K.Louis who returned it 64 yards for a score. On the ensuing kickoff though, return man Josh Garrett returned the kick 89 yards for a score to tie the game. Right before the quarter ended, Clancy caught a 27 yard pass from Wesley to put them up 14-7. UNC then came out and forced GT to a 3 and out. On the punt though, the 1st turnover for the Yellow JAckets happened when Boyd was destroyed by oncoming runner Eric Butler. Dunn would pick up the ball and return it 14 yards to tie the game before the half ended.

Those kind of plays ran rampant throughout this game. Sudden game changers seemingly didn't fluster each team early on. The two teams would exchange TD's in the 2nd with GT getting the go-ahead TD with 1:51 on the clock. With the score 28-21 UNC drove down the field eating the clock up but unfortunately they were stopped short via a big time sack by Emmanuel Dieke. With 5 seconds left, Coach Moreecemos for reasons unknown to man, called a timeout to hopefully run one back with Perry Thomas, who has shaky hands at best. What happens? The same type of score that GT got when the 1st quarter ended...Thomas got rocked and UNC picked up the loose ball and tied the game before halftime.

By the time the half ended, Boyd was a major factor and Luallen wasn't getting tons of time. Add in the two TD's the GT half were scored via special teams and coach was concerned his offense was sputtering. Coach decided to put Merrick on Boyd...match speed on with speed. With his offense, they had to spread it out more and get UNC from cluterring the middle so much.

These two adjustments worked big time. In the 2nd half, UNC did not score again in the game, largely with the defensive pressure being amped up big time with sacks gallore and Dunn and Watts getting some big time INT's on UNC QB J. Wesley. Meanwhile Jordan Luallen settled down and began to make those throws that made him a NFL prospect and a feared passer in the nation. The Yellow Jackets would score 23 unanswered points en route to a 51-28 lead and an ACC title to boot.

"This was a huge win...this is why Smith and Luallen came back to get a shot at this national title....they fought hard and despite them not having the games they are accustomed to, they willed this team to victory," said Coach Moreecemos.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

How do you solo a guy on a certain receiver?

3. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Great game Mo. I thought my boys were ready to step into greatness but it wasn't to be.

Wesley got into a great rhythm in the first half and we were looking to build on that in the 2nd half. But after his scorching start, I started trying some throws I know damn well Wesley couldn't make. Our plan was to shut down Orwin and we were successful for the most part, but Luellen killed us on the ground and through the air. He had too much time to pick apart the secondary, and when everything was covered he scampered for some huge conversions. GG brotha.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I just switched them at half....merrick did a better job covering him than Bell.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Alright but if I formation switch my receivers pre snap then it doesnt matter. Good win.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good win Mo. well, since all corners largely look the same, how would you even know who was on your player?

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

Nice win to cap off a perfect season. Congratulations MO.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    because when he'd throw to Boyd, I'd usually be in the area or tackle him myself...Merrick was much closer to him than Bell was in the game.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I was addressing that one to Coleman. He was saying well he'd just flip his receivers. I think you wouldn't even know what change was made etc.