Guards and Acceleration?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by onaradio34, Jul 17, 2010.

1. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Guards and Acceleration?

You guys have had to of noticed the acceleration rating on the guards (and a lot of centers) you are recruiting. I'm seeing A's all over the place.

Did EA just say, "ok, we can't figure this blocking shit out so let's just blow up the acceleration and see if it doesn't fly?"

I figure it's to help with pulling on counters, tosses, etc. but for those of you who actually coach or scout IRL, do you really look at the guards acceleration? I know how they explode off the line is huge, but this is just odd to me.

What am I missing?

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

EA wants you to run a power running game and a power running game only.

3. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

Well you have to take in account their speed. Acceleration is based on how long it takes for them to get to their top speed. So a guard with D speed and A acceleration just means he will quickly get up to his slow 5.20 40 speed lol

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Lineman need to / do get to their top speed quickly coming off of the line and pulling.

It's partially because they get a good jump off the line, and partially because they don't have as much speed to build.

Of course a players quickness is looked at in real life. If you can't get going quickly, you can't pull. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if you run a 4.8 compared to a 5.3 if you're slow at accelerating... your assignment will have gotten by you.

5. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Oohhh...and here I was thinking acceleration was the rate at which an object gains speed. Those idiots over at the Science Channel need to get thier stuff straight:).

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

It's the same thing, but the speed caps when you're talking about the fatties!

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

its for pulling guards but I think it might also impact run blocking - basically how fast your guys explodes out of his stance and gets into the face of a DL/LB. For pass blocking agility is more important.

Its similar for DLs with acceleration impacting their movement off the snap.

8. Nashvillain15

Nashvillain15 Walk On

Have you ever wondered why Linemen run the 40 yard dash at the combine... well its actually VERY important. At the combine scouts look at the first 10 yards of a linemans 40 yard dash, because it shows their acceleration/ explosion off the line.

In the game however, I don't get it.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think the acceleration stat is huge because it shows explosion. That is why the pro agility is run at most combines, to show how a player can change direction and get his body moving in a non-linear motion. For a guard that is important because of not only pulls, but also climbing to the next level and making blocks on linebackers who are generally better athletes.

10. manrilla

manrilla Walk On

I agree with many of you guys. I love the high accelartion of Olineman because it accuartely represents what they have to do over 10 yards not 40. It also aknowledges the zone blocking scheme in which some lineman are not very strong but have great footwork and acceleration that leads into leveraging more athletic Dlineman and Linebackers. I think EA has done an outstanding job in the blocking this year. It just might be the best feature.