H4Y

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by CoachRedd, Apr 26, 2011.

1. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

This board has been a little quieter than usual the past couple days. Where is the trash talk between people? Where are the predictions for everyone? Where are the random threads that makes this the best dynasty on TF? Did my drunken outburst scare people off? Do I need to get that drunk again to get everyone on here again? Lets go people...

2. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Eh, my big matchup with Nik was very disappointing considering my 50 in plasma TV went black in the first half of the game. Now I don't really care about the game, i'm just worried about how much money I'm gonna have to shell out on that TV. Considering I just dropped a ton on a new condo in downtown Dallas, one of my big screens going out wasn't good timing.

3. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Sorry, been too busy celebrating getting to 6 wins.

• Like Like x 5
  4. CoachRedd

No warranty?

5. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I dunno, I'll have to check. But I've had it for several years now. I tried googling it, but couldn't find any info a bout a Samsung plasma just going black. I'm worried too cuz I talked to Centech's mom and she said once you go black you never go back, so I'm thinking my TV is toast.

6. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

One?! How many 50 inch plasmas do you have?

7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

There are 3 at the house I live at. TVs aren't as expensive as they used to be

8. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I guess it just hit me I have 2 big screens. Looong day.

9. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Two. But the other one is only a 42 inch.

10. jkyle5

jkyle5 Walk On

You'd better get at least one more so I don't have to HOUND you and say it's all because of me... LOL!!!

CRUMB > ELECTRICITY

And you'd better WIN the weedeater bowl or whatever it is you go to....

But in all seriousness... GO CRUMB!!!

HaTeRs GoNnA hAtE

[​IMG]

11. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Sam's is the only place I'll ever buy a TV from. I had a 37 inch LCD for about four years and it stopped working. I took it back to Sam's with my receipt. They returned it and gave me store credit for the full price I paid years ago, which I put toward my current TV. When this one craps out, I'm gonna do the exact same thing.

12. CoachRedd

Thats seriously unheard of around here. Having a TV for four years and giving your full credit after it stops working. My fathers TV quit working 3 months after his 2 year warranty and best buy did absolutely nothing for him and basically told him hes SOL.

13. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I probably wont get one anytime soon but what do you look for when buying a tv? I notice the ratio (10000:1) or whatever and the Hz or whatever (100mHz) and don't know what either of these mean. Is higher better in both?

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

A higher contrast ratio will give you the more vibrant colors. Most newer tvs have the standard 120Hz and you should be fine with that. That wont even make a difference watching TV, but it can on gaming and if you ever wanted to hook up a PC to the TV.

Right now you can't beat an LED LCD TV imo. I have one and love it. The colors are bright and it is amazing to look at. The contrast ratios they can get out of the LEDs are insane and it is super slim and requires less power. They are a bit more expensive however...

That being said, I've never been a big fan of plasma TVs. They are notoriously hard and expensive to fix, and unfortunately for Jqwon, it may be cheaper to buy a new tv than to spend money fixing his current. All depends on what went out on it.

With brands I like Samsung and LG the most. Sony is nice but overpriced. Toshiba, Phillips and Sharp are good but probably tier 2 (sharp being the best of the bunch). I would personally stay away from insignia, vizio, westinghouse and all the other more generic bargain tv makers. If you really want a tv and at a budget go ahead, but you generally pay for what you get. You can usually find the nicer tvs on a sale for near the price of one of the bargain tvs anyway. If you are shelling out 600-1000 on a tv, might as well spend that extra 50-100 and get it right.

15. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Yeah, also you don't wanna get a plasma if you're gonna be doing your video games on it. If you have something that is constantly on the screen (Like an EA Sports logo) it will slightly burn that image into your screen. Most of the time you won't notice it, but there are times when it's more apparent.

16. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Thanks for the clarification stang. Yea from what I've gathered plasma kind of paved the way and made everything affordable, but its days may be numbered. Looks like if I do get one soon I may take fever (hammers) advice and check out sams.

17. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Alright, I'm starting to get confused. Why do you always say Fever, with Hammer in parenthesis?

18. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

jmustang pretty much nailed it, LED is the thing to get now... and plasmas have a few too many drawbacks. when i worked for my dads home automation company we instlled plasmas many times and would get calls in a matter of a couple weeks bc they would have a stock ticker burned in to their brand new 55 inch plasmas, dumb people. also plasmas are energy hogs, much more than any other flat panel tv type​

Also if you have one in your area i highly recommend checking out fry's electronics, where i got my bedroom LCD and probably where ill get an LED in the somewhat near future when my big screen is no linger workin for me​

19. xtreme snoopy

but i will say vizio actually makes a pretty good tv especially for the price... its no sony but for the price you get a good picture just more of a barebones list of features

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

And a TV that shits out on you after 2 years

21. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

You pay for what you get though. The contrast ratios and refresh rates are usually pretty weak. I have seen them, and I really dont like the picture, they look dull to me. I have never owned one, so can't speak on their reliability however.

22. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Yeah, I got my 50 inch plasma around 3 years ago and it's a samsung. No problems with it til now.

But I love my 42 inch Sony LED.

23. xtreme snoopy

maybe, sure, but i also know oneof my friends vizios is still kickin after 3 years.... ive also seen sony and samsungs crap out at 6 months, its kind of a crapshoot

I have two samsungs and my big screen i was able to get pretty much at cost... had i not been able to i would have definitely looked at vizio

24. xtreme snoopy

I havent checked recently but as a couple years ago you could get comprable contrast ratio, refresh rates now a days are pretty much overkill anyway, but its all up to the consumer you get less for paying less

25. xtreme snoopy

ill never get a vizio just saying its not the worst backup plan should you not have the funds for a high end set