Had a rule come up in our game yesterday.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by sreese, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sreese

sreese Walk On

Had a rule come up in our game yesterday.

Just wanted to clarify the 4th down rule. We had a question come up im my game with la tech but i wasnt sure of the rule so here it is.

O.1.0 - Going on 4th Down: We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

* Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    * If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

2. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

what if your on the 30 yard line and its 4th and 4, and your kicker can not make the kick? Is making a 10-20 yard punt realistic? Or would this just be the price you pay for a crap kicker.

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I would imagine that there's some gray zones. I can't see someone with a poor kicker not going for it from the ~35 yard line.

Your kicker probably won't make it (if he's not good), you don't really give away field position, and punting it out from that close can be tricky.

4. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Yeah it was early in the game, but I was down 7-0 and at the opposing 40 yard line, 4th and 10. I didn't see the point in not going for it since a bad bounce would make it a net 20 yard punt with a touchback and I know how bad my defense is. It just didn't make sense to punt in that situaiton.

I think it's a very valid point to make about gray areas. As long as you let the person know you are going for it and it is a sensible situation to go for it, I don't see why it would be a problem.

5. sreese

sreese Walk On

I agree guys. I think we should modify this. But not on 4th and 10 from the 45 or something similar. I think that inside the 35 and under 2 yards would be fair. I mean we just want to avoid people going for on 4th down alot. 1 or 2 times a game could be understandable but ...... let me hear what u think. We need a cap on number of yards i think. I also think 5 is to many but 2 is to little?

6. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

If you're able to talk to your oppoent over a headset, I'd probably be fine anything 4th and 5 or less. The reason behind this rule is the same as the reason they don't want players constantly shifting QBs or in and out of the Wildcat. In real life, you could see players run on and off the field as packages are set up...so you have a few extra seconds to call in a play to the D and make player changes. A 4th and X play is a BIG momentum shift...if you are expecting a FG or punt and all of a sudden it pops up and says the other player is sending in 4WRs..you've got less than 10 seconds to decided dime or nickle, which subformation, and then find a play. Where as if you know becauuse you "see the Offense still on the field" (in our case, the player says I'm going for it) you know to be already looking for a big D play even if you don't know exact packages yet.

But...i guess we do need a cap since I think there are at least a few players who don't have headsets. and whatnot...4th and 5 would be a good place to put the HARD cap I guess. And even then, it shoud probably be limmited to once or twice per game. If someone is going on it 4th and 5 multiple times per game...I don't feel thay're really playing SIM style.

In a situation where Its 4th and 10 from the 40....I'd probably punt, particuarly early in a game.Give the D a chance to stand up and make a big play with a long field at their backs. Yeah, a bad bounce gives you a net 20...but if you put it up high and back off on the bower, you can usually get the first bounce on the 5 or so. And theres always the option of kicking it out of bounds around the 10...harder to pin someone that way, I thnk, but you're morelickly to put them at the 10 than the 20.

7. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I disagree with this. I wait for the offense every play on defense so its not really any different. No reason to pick a special teams play until you see the kick formation.

I would say stick with the original rule with an exception between the 35 and the 25, where punting gains you nearly nothing (and most of us can not make FGs). Skying punts is really easy for pinning the other team deep (don't bother to corner kick). 5 min of practice and you won't have to worry about 20 yard punts from the 40.