Had To Share This

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, May 27, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Had To Share This

Hey guys.

I wanted to share this with everyone in Tradition Football. I live just outside of Houston Texas. Texas is known to produce a good crop of NFL athletes. I follow alot of highschool and college around the country and especially Texas. Even though Im not from Texas, Ive fallen for there love of football. Im 30 years old and have met several players. I had a chance to meet Kerry Collins when I lived in PA. Ive met Roy Williams and Cedric Benson when I spent time in West Texas. All of them had that Attitude of " Im a star".

I had the chance to meet a pair of brothers who were turned away at Texas, A&M, and even Baylor. They were down at there former Highschool. They visited with students and with teachers. They even drove around town visiting old friends(LOL..And recruiting for there college). Im talking about the Rodgers brothers from Oregon St. James and his older brother Jacquizz.

Now I had followed James his last year at Lamar Consolidated but didnt get to follow Jacquizz. Last year, I was thrilled to see them in there first game together at the college level against USC. I was happy for the success they achieved at Oregon State. I ran into them at a grocery store and had a pleasant conversation. I hope nothing but success for these two.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Jacquizz was offered by Baylor but was generally not interested in the big Texas schools as his brother was already out of state. James was not a big prospect out of high school, in fact, I can't find another school that offered him besides Oregon State.

Regardless, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Jacquizz is becoming a focal point for OSU's offense.

You said that Jacquizz is the older one, but he graduated high school a year after James... Did you just have them mixed up?

3. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I did get them mixed.

James interviewed with Texas and visited A&M but was never offered anything. If he would have attended Texas, he would have likely been lost in the shuffle.

Jacquizz Rodgers received offers from A&M, Houston, Baylor, Arizona, SMU, and Louisiana Tech. In the end, I guess blood was thicker than water.

Here are two stub questions for ya Drifter..

1)Rodgers uncle played in the NFL..Who was it?

2) Your in the A&M area, what ever happend to CB Byron Jones years ago? He was a pretty talented kid from Bay City. I know he didnt get drafted and had a tryout for Atlanta but was cut.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Oh man. Without looking it up I thought they had a family member who was a Safety somewhere. I can't remember the team though. Cardinals? 49ers?

Byron actually made it through training camp with the Falcons, I believe. He was good while at A&M, but I think he got hurt and ended up on the practice squad and eventually cut. Fran used him in all kinds of trick plays while he was here. Pretty good college athlete.

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It was bothering me so I had to go look it up, lol. They are the nephew's of Michael Lewis, a safety for the 49ers.

6. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Nice one......

Yeah, it was bothering me about Jones and I did a google....He is with Tampa Bay of the AFL

My wife was going over a list of Bay City Alumni of the 1990-00's.

Byron jones

Archie McDaniel

Nehrod Manning

Beau Trahan..(whom graduated with my wife and then vanished after UT. I see he is in Baylor with Briles)

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That's nice, glad he is not out of work.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice. Refreshing to see that. yeah, players can definitely have an attitude. I've had good/bad stories with random run-ins with these folks and there's only one that stood out, and unfortunately it was bad.

I used to live in the Seattle area, and during the time that Damon Stoudemire was in Toronto, I was trying to get a job as a shuttle driver at a hotel in town. I'm guessing I was anywhere from 16-18 years old. While I was there, I found out that the Raptors were gonna be coming through in about an hour. I just happened to have a Stoudemire rookie card. I'm not a card "collector" or certainly an autograph hound but he was one of my little brother's favorite players (whose birthday was coming up). So I went back to the house, got the card and a pen, and waited.

About 45 minutes to an hour and a half later, the bus shows up. They get off the bus and i'm literally one of about 2-3 fans that are there, and the only male. Certainly the only young guy. I ask Stoudemire can he please sign this card for my little brother for his birthday? Without taking his headphones off, he muttered "Nah coach says I can't" and kept walking. I asked him please, explained that I'd been waiting and this was for my brother, and he just kept walking.

On the other hand, I know one former NBA player (a lot of us kinda know him lol) and met him in person twice, and he might be the nicest dude I've ever shaken hands with. So what are you gonna do.

9. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

Who? haha

10. Mallard Muscle

Mallard Muscle Blue Chip Prospect

Both of the Rodgers brothers are really talented, especially Jacquizz, and they've been received very well in the greater Oregon commuinty as being respectable people. I can only imagine Quizz lining up in the Oregon spread-run-option offense and the damage he would inflict, but it's alright though because we have LaMichael James, also a quick runningback from Texas, ready to bust on the scene this season like Quizz did last year.

James is very accomplished in his career, but Jamere Holland will be the best wide out in the state of Oregon this year.

No, I won't take off these green and yellow glasses.