HAL's 2028 1st Round Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by HAL9100, Mar 5, 2014.

1. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    1) Miami Marlins - SP Joseph 'Eppa' Keller

[​IMG]

The only questions about Keller is who can afford his demand and who wants to really pick someone named Keller . Apart from those factors, Keller looks like the top player in the draft and deserves to go #1.

2) Philadelphia Phillies - RF David 'Gremlin' Ennis

[​IMG]

After trading Dale away to the Angels, the Phillies are definitely in need of an OF bat in their system and Gremlin looks like the top batter in the draft with elite speed. Questionable defense could cause Gremlin to fall a little but his bat won't last long in this draft.

3) San Diego Padres - SS Jon 'The Little Globetrotter' Wright

[​IMG]

A switch hitter with 70 power....and he plays SS? Yes, please. Wright is another guy with questionable defense, but if you don't take some chances on that, it'll be really hard to get an elite bat with these drafts.

4) Oakland Athletics - SP William 'Hammer' Mondem

[​IMG]

With the top 2 batters off the board, the A's face the easy decision of going with Mondem. The A's want to build through youth and Mondem will be able to contribute quickly as he's maybe only 1-2 years away.

5) Kansas City Royals - SP Curtis 'Gobbler' Kline

[​IMG]

As we get on a roll of SPs, Kline is another guy that looks really close to MLB ready. He was great at the U and is the top pitcher with more than 3 pitches.

6) Texas Rangers - SP Aaron 'Extreme' Dixon

[​IMG]

Another guy not far off from the MLB. He didn't face great competition in college, but his 14.05 K/9 at Merrimack should work well at The Ballpark in Arlington.

7) New York Yankees - SP Jesus 'Gambler' Duran

[​IMG]

Duran needs to work on his control some with him already being 21, but you could call this a "gamble" for the Yankees to go with the Gambler. 101 MPH is either really hard to hit or leaves the ballpark really quickly. The Yanks will take the gamble on his 64% GB and hope his control develops to make the FB really hard to hit.

8) Toronto Blue Jays - SP Michael 'Buzz' Allen

[​IMG]

Depending on what an organization likes, Buzz Allen could go higher than this. There's a lot to like about Allen but with him being 17 and so undeveloped compared to some of these pitchers coming out of college, I slot him into 8th with the Blue Jays.

9) Colorado Rockies - SP Bob 'Wild Bill' Johnson

[​IMG]

While every draft seems to be full of SPs, this year's class seems especially strong because how well developed everyone is. After just trading away Pedro Lopez, the Rockies replace him with Wild Bill who is closer to being MLB ready than Lopez.

10) Detroit Tigers - SP Carl 'White Wings' Fisher

[​IMG]

After not being able to reach an agreement with the Rangers last year, Fisher gets drafted 1 spot higher this year after a solid year at the Univ. of St. Louis. He still has a lot of room to grow though making him this year's 8th SP taken.

11) Minnesota Twins - SP Alberto 'Rapid Robert' Torres

[​IMG]

His lack of movement potential made him drop, but 151 Ks at Fullerton looks great. He'll be a steal at #11 if his college stats translate to the pros.

12) Washington Nationals - CF Will Holmes

[​IMG]

The 3rd position player finally makes an appearance at #12. Like the other 2, his defense needs to improve and will need a lot of grooming to reach his potential....but his potential is really high.

13) Pittsburgh Pirates - SP Curt 'The Tornado' Washington

[​IMG]

Washington was outstanding in high school with over 16 K/9 and only 8 ER in 95 innings. His control potential is concerning though and makes him fall to 13.

14) Arizona Diamondbacks - SP Larry 'El President' Dilauro

[​IMG]

The Diamondbacks will likely be really happy with El President here. He may not have the stars of the SPs taken before him, but 6 plus pitches with 80 stuff potential. Hard to be upset with that.

15) Boston Red Sox - SP Jesus 'Hawk' Martinez

[​IMG]

This is where the picks start to get thinner. Martinez looks like he could be a really good #2 or #3 SP in a rotation and is very good all around. He doesn't have the makeup of an ace though.

16) Cleveland Indians - SP Jesus 'Watsie' Villalobos

[​IMG]

Pretty much ditto Martinez. He's a quality player but doesn't look like a star.

17) Milwaukee Brewers - 3B Josh 'Jailhouse' Stephens

[​IMG]

At 20 years old, I'd like to see Jailhouse be a little more developed, but with bats being so scarce yet again, it's hard to see him falling past Milwaukee here.

18) St. Louis Cardinals - SP Keith 'Pooky' Walker

[​IMG]

With slim pickings, the Cards go with Walker here. I suppose Walker could go higher, but with only 3 stamina, there's just too many other options available. Worst case, he'll be a star MR or CL.

19) Cincinnati Reds - SS Dave 'Brain' Johnston

[​IMG]

Johnston has good value here and with 40 SBs at FAU with only 1 CS...he will make noise on the basepaths.

20) Texas Rangers -CF Kevin 'Tom Terrific' Clark

[​IMG]

After drafting a SP with their earlier pick, the Rangers go with the best position player available and that's Tom Terrific. He's got 75 power potential with speed and okay defense. If his contact was a little higher, he'd be a top 10 and maybe top 5 pick.

21) Baltimore Orioles - CF David Wright

[​IMG]

The Orioles are probably hoping for Clark to fall here, but they'll be happy with Wright. He's not a huge dropoff. The biggest difference is defense.

22) New York Mets - SP Will 'Muscles' Anderson

[​IMG]

The Mets go BAP here and pick Brain's teammate, Muscles.

23) Los Angeles Angels - SP Fernando Martinez

[​IMG]

I could see Martinez going higher because of his development and his control potential, but that stuff potential is hard to swallow inside of the top 20.

24) Houston Astros - C Mark King

[​IMG]

The Astros get the top catcher in the draft here. He may be forced into being a DH though.

25) Chicago Cubs - SP Stu Gray

[​IMG]

Gray's got 6 pitches, but only 4 worthwhile ones and has some control conerns. Otherwise, there's plenty to like about him.

26) Atlanta Braves - 2B Dan 'Quack' McCormick

[​IMG]

Yet another good bat with serious defensive concerns. Quack would go in the top 15 if he could play a lick of defnse.

27) Chicago White Sox - SP Brandon Flagello

[​IMG]

No real needs for the White Sox to focus on so they go BAP. Flagello could be a solid rotation SP in the future.

28) San Francisco Giants - CL George Ladd

[​IMG]

If Ladd had a 3rd pitch, he'd go in the top 15 or maybe top 10. He's going to be a great closer.

29) Tampa Bay Rays - MR David Gibbs

[​IMG]

Like Ladd, if Gibbs had a quality 3rd pitch, we'd be talking about him as a SP, but he has good value here and sharkman won't hesitate keeping his pitching staff cupboard stocked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 12
  2. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Excellent stuff. Its definitely gotta be a hard choice for the Marlins, personally I would be hard pressed to draft anyone named Keller despite his potential.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Because his name is Keller I just assume he will puss out in rookie ball.

• Like Like x 3
  4. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    On a side note, I'll be shocked if Dave Johnston falls to 19. I also wouldnt be surprised to see CF Will Holmes go in the top 10.

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Hey finally a realistic draft class

6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    He will retire from leagues after a couple seasons.

7. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    I could see Holmes going in the top 10, but it's going to be hard to pass up on all the well developed pitching. Johnston could maybe go a little higher if people a desperate for a bat, but he's not all that impressive at the plate or defensively. I could maybe see taking him over Pooky, I guess.

8. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Whoa, somebody actually went far enough to include my team in a mock draft. Pretty good selection too.

Thanks HAL9100

9. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Nice list HAL9100. I'd take Fisher ahead of a couple guys taken ahead of him according to your mock (y)

10. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Promoted to front page and tweeted HAL9100 . Great stuff.

#SAVEHAL

• Like Like x 4
  11. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Wasn't expecting that. Makes me want to add some graphics to it or something.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Slacker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Added screenshots of all 29 players.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Who needs draft guides when you have mocks.

:joyful:

• Like Like x 2
  15. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Oh good, maybe now Blaza can make his pick.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Should just give him the dude since he'd be insane to go elsewhere.

17. I Peench

I think he's the best amateur arm we've seen since David Taylor, no?

18. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Looks like it to me.

19. I Peench

Also worthy to note that Witchita State might have a top two pick in back to back drafts (Bill Stanbridge went #2 last year)

20. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Going back through all the draft history is a nice trip down memory lane. It's amazing how much stuff has passed by in just 1 irl year. Seems like just yesterday that I drafted some of these guys and so many have already reached their peak and have regressed to irrelevancy. All the hopes and potential of these guys and so few that ever achieved it.

• Like Like x 3
  21. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    HAL9100

I should do these for you instead next time.

22. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Should we just make Hal take his mock draft pick?

23. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    I couldn't even get my own pick right.

• Like Like x 1
  24. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

By your own mock draft - you reached for Torres.

Of course, I like Torres a bunch and think he is a hair better than Johnson