Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by elprez98, Feb 3, 2011.

1. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    WELCOME TO THE HOME OF THE HAMBURGER FAITHFUL

2. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Guererro and Petric Will Start Against FC Zenit

-February 7th, 2011

Hamburg coaches announced today that Peruvian front man, Jose Paolo Guerrero, and Croatian footballer, Mladen Petric, will be starting in the teams' newly adopted attacking formation in their home opener versus FC Zenit. Unfortunately for aging striker, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, that leaves him coming off of the bench. Van Nistelrooy voiced his displeasure over the move, as well as, Hamburg 'sblockage of an expected loan to his former home, Real Madrid. "I was already disappointed that I was not able to move to Real Madrid on loan and although I am still committed to helping to see this team through to promotion, I can say now that I do not see any way I will remain here after the end of my contract," Van Nistelrooy added in an interview earlier today.

Guererro and Petric have both had their ups and downs during preseason but Hamburg feels that these two forwards along with the addition of talented midfielder, Piotr Trochowski and German wingback, Dennis Aogo to the starting eleven, will give Hamburg an added punch to score in league matches this year.

3. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Mladen Petric dejected after opening week results in two scoreless losses

Hamburg Fails to Garner Points or Goals in Opening Competitions

-February 10th, 2011

Hamburg fans left Imtech Arena without anything to celebrate as Hamburg fails to score in opening week matches. First against FC Zenit, Hamburg had quite a few good chances created mainly on the left side of the pitch. Petric connected with a couple of great crosses to Guerrero who just couldn't finish. Hamburg lost 2-0 at home. In the game vs. Everton, it was the reverse where great chances were created by good runs by Guerrero and Petric was unable to capitalize and Everton squeaked by 1-0. "I feel like we played well but unfortunately, the balls didn't bounce our way. There's no panic in us at this point in the season, its only week one," said team captain Heiko Westermann, who ironically won Man of the Match in the Everton game, despite the loss.

4. Darlon

Darlon Walk On

Distin was given man of the match in our tie, prez. He had a 9.7 and Westermann had a 9.6.

5. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Did they share MotM? I know Westermann had a ball by his name.

6. Darlon

Darlon Walk On

I just read in another thread that there have been multiple instances where both sides have different MotM's.

7. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Hamburg celebrates after defeating Galatasaray, 2-0 at Imtech Arena

Hamburg Splits Week; Praying for TCL Invitation

-February 17th, 2011

-After losing their third straight match to start the season, the third being a 1-0 loss to Fulham, Hamburg fans finally had something to cheer about for the first time since starting League One play. Going scoreless in the first three matches of the season, Hamburg's offense opened up against their newly acquired rivals, Galatasaray. "I'm not really sure when it happened. We play a lot of friendlies against them and the all of a sudden, it just became a rivalry," said Hamburg keeper, Frank 'Frost' Rost. Despite making quite a few great saves and maintaining a clean sheet against Galatasaray, team captain, Westermann was named Man of the Match.

Hamburg's maintained possession to open the game. Surprisingly, Ivorian defender, Guy Demel found Peruvian front man, Juan Guerrero streaking towards the goal. Guerrero's first shot hit the post, but the ball fortuitously bounced right back to Guerrero for an easy rebound and Hamburg's first goal of the season. "I was determined to get that ball in the goal," said the Peruvian. Following that goal, Hamburg had to weather a flurry of attacks from Galatasaray midway through the first half. However, Hamburg did respond with a great attack up the left side of the pitch, as German defender, Dennis Aogo, lobbed a beautiful ball to young and dangerous midfielder, Eljero Elia, who place the ball in the net using a wonderful struck bicycle kick. "I think I really shocked them with that," said Elia.

After that, the game was an exciting back and forth display of solid attacks, however, neither team would stretch the net again as the match ended with a win for Hamburg. "We really needed this one. We'd really like to get a chance to make the TCL as I do believe we can make some progress there," said the Hamburg coach. Hamburg is just on the cusp of the 16 team cap for the TCL with only three points garnered int wo weeks. "I'm guessing its 'a win and in situation' for us next week."

• Like Like x 1
  8. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Bosnian striker, Edin Dzeko celebrates a goal in the 56' minute

Hamburg Prayers Go Unanswered

-Hamburg continues to fall down the table as another week goes by and the "Red Shorts" only muster one goal in two matches, and lose two more games. Hamburg lost 1-3 to rival Wolfsburg and were smothered in a 1-0 loss to Benfica. "Its pretty embarrassing to only score 3 goals in 3 weeks. You can only wonder if things would be different if I was on the pitch," said veteran striker, Ruud Van Nistelrooy who hasn't been selected in the starting eleven yet this year.

Other players have grumbled about their manager's alleged "moonlighting," as a consultant for Atletico Madrid in the Spanish League. "I our match against Wolfsburg, our manager just wasn't focused. In the Spanish League, they play a completely different type of football and I believe that our manager needs to remained focused on Hamburg or maybe we need a new manager," said veteran goalkeeper, Frank Rost.

Coach Elprez was not available for comment, but sources close to the American said that despite the slow start to the season, he is very focused on leading this team to a respectable finish in League One play.

9. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Hamburg striker, Ruud Van Nistelrooy celebrates 90th minute, winning goal over B. Dortmund

Borussia Dortmund Shocked by Hamburg's Late Rally

-Signal Iduna Park

In the first leg of a home and home between Borussia and Hamburg, it looked as if Hamburg would fall back into their losing ways. Despite a few good chances to finish, both strikers, Van Nistelrooy and Petric could not beat German keeper, Roman Weindfeller. However, Borussia happily converted on a counter attack sparked by Paraguayan footballer, Lucas Barrios and finished by Robert Lowendowski. The match stayed level until the 73' minute where Hamburg frontman, Mladen Petric headed in a high rebound from an earlier attempt by Van Nistelrooy. The goal was scored from an admittedly, ridiculous angle. "Obviously, I was trying to score but I really can't say that I expected that shot to go in, but I'm happy it did," Petric laughed.

That shot obviously gave Hamburg a bit of momentum as the 90' minute arrived. Late sub, Piotr Trochowski led a break that ended in goal slotted home by Van Nistelrooy, who has scored in every game since being inserted into the starting eleven. "I'm not the kind of guy that says, 'I told you so.' I just want to do my part for us to win. I'm just happy we've one another one," said Van Nistelrooy. As stated earlier, this is a home and home matchup for the two teams as Borussia will head to Hamburg to complete the 2nd leg.

10. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]

Hamburg midfielder, David Jarolim scored Hamburg's 2nd 90th minute goal against Borussia Dortmund

Hamburg Wins 3rd Straight in Thrilling Fashion

-Imtech Arena

-The 2nd leg of this home and home was another heart breaker for Borussia Dortmund, and a huge confidence boost for Hamburg. Hamburg, who was still riding the high of a last minute goal in their previous meeting, struck first. Speedster, Eljero Elia finished a fierce strike from the left edge of the box past two defenders and a diving keeper. Borussia didn't take long to counter, however. In the 23rd minute, Polish striker, Richard Lewandowski finished off a Hamburg mistake to tie the game.

The game maintained its back and forth quality, with neither team truly taking the upper hand.....until the 90th minute arrived again. In what was surely the final chance, Van Nistelrooy moved up the right wing finding Czech star, David Jarolim unmarked in the center of the pitch. Ruud passed to Jarolim, who scorched in the winner from about 25 yards. "We've had a lot of success in friendlies with great play late in games. This time, as well as last game, it showed up in games that mattered," said Van Nistelrooy who set up the game winning goal.

The current Borussia manager was described as drained and disgusted. Some feel that losing to Hamburg in such a fashion, in consecutive games, may have been too much for him and he may be stepping down soon. "I understand his frustration," said Elprez. "However, you shouldn't resign because you lost to us. We are really a pretty good team and that team, unfortunately for them, was the one that showed up in these last few matches."

11. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Hamburg striker, Paolo Guerrero, celebrating an 82nd minute goal to tie League 1 leader, Everton

Hamburg Grabs A Point Late Against Everton

-Imtech Arena

After such a slow start this season, it does look like Hamburg may be moving to make a late season run for promotion. Winners of their last three before facing undefeated Everton in Hamburg. Hamburg came out fired up in this match, with a recent change to their starting eleven. In today's match, 25 year old midfielder, Marcell Jansen, started at left midfield, while Elia was moved to the right side. It seemed like Jansen had a stabilizing presence in the midfield as, Everton was able to push the ball up the sideline nearly as often with the big German youngster on the pitch. "The kid looked unintimidated to me," said striker Petric who played particularly well, although he didn't score.

As most spectators expected, Everton took the lead late in the game, with a header by Saha. "If you can't defend headers against them, you will not win," said Hamburg midfielder and MotM winner, David Jarolim. What was unexpected was the late substitution by Hamburg manager, Elprez. Peruvian striker, Paolo Guerrero was was subbed for Mladen Petric who was playing particularly well creating chances, but not finishing. Less than 5 minutes after being subbed, Guerrero received a pinpoint pass from former Bayern Munich star, Ze' (Jose) Roberto, then made a slick spin and slotted home a shot past Tim Howard.

With their recent success combined with Galatassaray's unexpected slide down the table, Hamburg has a renewed resolve for obtaining promotion. "Its crazy how quickly things can change in this game. However, we have to stay grounded, and continue to play our game and I think we can have more success," said Elprez.

12. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Teammates celebrate Van Nistelrooy's hatrick and game winner against FC Zenit

Hamburg Continues Winning Ways against FC Zenit

-Petrovsky Stadium

"I am not angry that I'm not in the starting eleven. I'm happy for our team and I love to win. Inserting Ruud has created results, and you can't argue with results," said Peruvian striker, Paolo Guerrero. Guerrero was replaced by former Real Madrid frontman, Ruud Van Nistelrooy six matches ago, and Hamburg hasn't looked back going 5-1-0 in the stretch. Ruud has shown exceptional form since being inserted into the starting eleven, including his recent hatrick in a 3-2 win over FC Zenit.

In the match, it was a back and forth affair until Van Nistelrooy broke the seal with a late 45' minute goal to put Hamburg ahead going into halftime. Van Nistelrooy showed more magic heading in another at the 59' minute mark. However, Zenit would not go away quietly. The tough Russian squad pushed in 2 goals in 2 minutes (70' and 72'), with both goals showing Aleksandr Kerzhakov's ability to quickly carve the Hamburg defense and tying the game in a blink of an eye.

However, the new resilient Hamburg squad would not go away quietly either. Van Nistelrooy completed his hatrick getting behind the Zenit defense that was pushing up a bit too much. The Dutch legend slotted home a goal which would end up being the game winner in the 77' minute. "A lot of credit is given to me," said Van Nistelrooy, "but I think our coach has been more instrumental with some of the changes he's instituted in our play and as a team we are just playing better. It is never just one man," Ruud continued.

Looking at Hamburg's record and Ruud's 5 goals since being inserted in the lineup, its very hard to believe that.