Handoffs on PA plays

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by onaradio34, Jan 16, 2010.

1. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Handoffs on PA plays

What are some opinios on handing the ball off on playaction plays instead of passing? I understand that plays must be run in the spirit of how they were designed. I recently found that this can be an effective way to counteract the CPU's aggresion on spread rushing plays. Its not overpowering, but it does allow you to get 5-6 yards if you read it correctly and hit the right hole. To me its actually closer to a true spread than the normal plays.

Some important notes: This does not mean handing off and sprinting to the sidline, its strictly between the tackles. This also not include running on option passes, I think that is unrealistic. Lastly, this is for a team with slow qb's that cannot utilize a proper option.

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I don't see anything wrong with it. Nor do I think there is an advantage. Isn't it called making an audible?

3. onaradio34

Im not referring to quick audibles. When you snap the ball you can hold X (PS3) and hand the ball off instead of carrying out the playaction.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    wow didn't know that...

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yeah not sure if this works on 360 :(

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

That's part of the play, I think it's called PA Choice or something like that. You read the D, and decide if you want to hand off or pass. It's the same thing with the QB Choice play, you either fake the handoff and run with the QB or hold down the button and make the handoff.

7. onaradio34

Really? Im pretty sure you can only do it on shotgun formations. Its just like the QB option plays where you either hand it off or keep it with the QB.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yes you and bondzai are right...another weapon in my arsenal :)

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I use it all the time. When used against a user it's hard to stop.

10. controllerabuser

Oops, my fault. I didn't must have misunderstood. Didn't know you could do that.

11. onaradio34

So am I correct in assuming that this is a legitimate play? I just started doing it and havent used it against a user yet. Just wanted some opinions on whether it would cause a problem.

12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Here's the main issue with it. It's a pass play and the CPU knows that it's a pass play so their defenders play pass defense. That's why it's easier to run than a true QB choice because you're running it against retreating defenders. This is the same thing as running the ball on a WR motion option pass. Doing the latter is pure and total cheese as all of the defenders drop way back in pass coverage (since the CPU knows that it's a pass play) until you cross the LOS, and then they'll go after the runner. The only difference between running on a WR motion option pass (which you yourself said isn't okay) is that with the PA QB choices, you cross the LOS much sooner (before the defenders drop back too far into coverage) so they come after you sooner.

13. controllerabuser

Never heard much on it. So, I am guessing there is no problem?

14. onaradio34

Agreed. Thats why I asked, it is really a trick on the AI. My only argument for it is that the CPU reacts way to quickly on the regular runs, moreso than in real life. A good sread team will pass heavy and get the linebackers backpedaling at the snap. That is not possible in the game.

15. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE[/YOUTUBE]

16. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

The reason the cpu drops back on a motion option pass is because if they don't and they immediately commit to the run, i can just heave the ball to at least one of the three receivers (that would most likely be open). If the computer immediately knew that it was a motion option pass then the problem would be that the computer would be cheesing and the play would be broken.

The way to defend the motion option is to control a linebacker and make the play on the option as you would with any option play... or have an extra corner on that side. If i remember correctly, there are only 3 receivers on that play and you cannot change any of their routes. It's not a cheese play, it just requires some thought as most good offensive schemes do.

17. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

So by that logic, if I run any PA play, the CPU "knows" its actually a pass play and won't bite on the PA?? If that's the case, why would I ever run a play action pass? Just gives the D-Line an extra second or two......

I don't think this is cheese, nor do I think the Option Pass Play is cheese. If a receiver runs a pass route, the defense better cover it, or they're gonna get scored on everytime.....regardless of what the CPU "knows".

18. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Hmmm, this is an interesting conversation. I have run those motion option passes out of shotgun and have never (to my knowledge) been accused of cheese for this, and that includes a game against a commissioner or 2....

19. jello1717

The reason why I consider the WR motion option pass play cheese if you keep the ball is because it is a guaranteed 6+ yards (the average will be over 10 yards) every time you run it, even if you ran it 15 times in a row (15 is the most I've ever tried in a play now game). In my personal dictionary, any play that's guaranteed a lot of yards regardless of how many times you run it is cheese. Anything that breaks the CPU AI (which this play does in spectacular fashion) is cheese.

20. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Running a PA Choice play and handing it off is NOT cheese.

That is what the play is designed for. You watch the DE on the HBs side, and if he runs up field you hand it off, if he goes down you keep and make your pass reads.

This is to avoid sacks, and works right off of the QB Choice play itself. This is not even close to the same thing as running a option pass to RUN the ball.

You're making them respect all three options every play.

21. jello1717

I agree with this. It's not nearly as bad because:
    1. You're crossing the LOS much sooner than on an option pass and
    2. You're running right into the teeth of the D-line instead of all the way outside towards the sideline before turning it upfield.

Now I'm mainly addressing those that don't feel that running the ball with a WR motion option pass is cheese.

22. onaradio34

That seems to sum it up. I wasnt sure if the handoff was there as a viable option or just a screwy oversight by EA.

I appreciate everyone's input.

23. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

This is a trick play. It should not be the foundation of your offense. It is also an option play. One of the options is to pass the ball. Another is to run the ball. Obviously, the last is to pitch it. My point is that if an opponent ran this play repeatedly, that would definetely be cheese. I agree. But the entire concept of the play is to trick the defense. If they play the run/option part of it, pass the ball. If they play the pass, run it. It is an option play. It's intended to trick the defense. We are disagreeing on a very slim margin here jello.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think if you're able to hand it off on a straight play action play... and it fools the cpu... it's lame.

25. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I'm just clarifying, but the play in question is not the option pass.

It does not "fool" the cpu.

radio, if you are just talking about the option read PA play, it's perfectly fine bro. I maybe have to hand it off to avoid an obvious sack, once or twice every two games.