Hard Knocks Handbook

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Jul 25, 2011.

1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Hard Knocks: A True Madden Sim for the PS3

Welcome to the league! We have created this Handbook to help you determine if this is the Madden league for you. Here are a few key rules regarding Hard Knocks, and if you have any questions feel free to ask B0BJR0526 or cadepetty247.

First and foremost, this is a gentlemen’s league. I expect respect among all the owners of Hard Knocks. Be courteous to your fellow league members by keeping things friendly and fun.

Please be SIM. If you have to necessarily ask what SIM is then maybe this is not the league for you. If a glitch is found, please report that to the league through the forum.

Be ACTIVE. Activity is a must for any league, and without question we will require game recaps. The idea is that once you begin to do recaps that you will immerse yourself into other aspects of content. We think content is contagious, and would want you to add something that you want to add to the league. With our current members, you will see great ideas from great people.

COMMUNICATION. Make sure you are staying in contact with your opponents for that week. We believe AIM is the best form of communication for games, but also check the forums and utilize the TSO site for talking with fellow owners. Once you finish your current weeks games, feel free to contact your next weeks opponent. We will post a match up thread each week, make sure to post in there when you will be playing your game.

We will be playing on ALL MADDEN with 6 MINUTE QUARTERS

Depth chart changes are not permitted before the opening kickoff. Each owner is responsible for setting their depth charts weekly in the franchise. You are allowed to make a depth move during the game
    · If a player is struggling.
    · If you are trying to prevent an injury.
    · If the game is a blowout.

Controlling Players: You have to control your QB throws and your skill player movements.

Audibles: Make sure that when you call an audible on offense that you allow the defense to be set for one second.

Mixing up the Play calling: The game is meant to recreate real life situations, so please mix up your play calling. We don’t want to see guys calling the same plays in succession during a game. Nor do we want the same play(s) to be called an abundant amount during the game. Try to utilize your whole playbook. Defensively we expect you to be true to the down and distance situation. For example: Dime or a Nickel 335 defense should not be called when the opponent comes out with a running formation. Please do not continuously do the same pre snap defensive adjustments, while we know you may need to adjust the defense accordingly there is no need to always press or show blitz.

OFFENSE

Going on 4th Down: There are big questions regarding 4th Down attempts. To me it should be realistic in regards to the NFL. Meaning teams very rarely go for it.

· NO going for 4th down in the first half of the game.
    · The only time you should be going for it on 4th down in the third quarter is if it's 2 yards or less and you are trailing.
    · You may go for any 4th down in the 4th quarter if you are trailing. You can go for it if you are leading by 13 points or less and you are past the 50 yard line with 2 yards or less to go.

Motioning: Motioning by backs and receivers is allowed only once per play or if the play is designed for motion (highlighted green on play call screen). If the defense audibles before your motion is complete you must wait for the defense to get reset before snapping the ball, when possible. Otherwise, you are free to snap the ball when the Motion man reaches their spot on the field and the motion is complete for one second. Do not use multiple motions before the play.

Hurry up Offense: The hurry up offense in the NFL is rarely seen. You are only allowed to use the hurry up in the 2 minute offense. Meaning the last two minutes of the 2nd quarter and the last two minutes of the 4th quarter. There is no reason to use the hurry up when you are leading at the end of the game.
    Play clock: Please be courteous to your opponent and pick a play in a timely manner. Leagues will be in the 6-10 minute range (depending on accelerated clock) and we want users to avoid draining the play clock down to 10. The ONLY reason you should be “running” out the clock is if you are protecting a lead with 3 minutes left to play.

Play Action: In the NFL it is unrealistic to call a play action pass in a 3rd and long situation. No play action should be used in 3rd down and 7 or more to go.

QB Scrambling: Unrealistic QB scrambling is prohibited. This means running from sideline to sideline, backwards and forewords, or any other unorthodox QB movement. You are not allowed to snap the ball and sprint to sidelines and wait for a receiver to open up. The AI does not play that well at all so you can scramble, but you cannot go to sidelines sprinting unless you are being chased. Also, do not just sprint for any reason. If you are being chased that’s fine, but to sprint for no reason is not necessary. No hanging outside the hash marks towards the sidelines waiting for a WR to get open. If a WR is not open after about 4-6 sec you can try and run for yardage.

QB Drop back: There should be no dropping back deep to get an advantage.No dropping back more than 7 yards with QB. We do not want see any 20 yard drop backs.

-Running up the Score: Nobody likes a sore loser, and nobody likes the guy running up the score. Please use your best judgment with this. CPU games should not be big 60 point affairs, as you do not see NFL teams scoring 60 points. Running the ball and using clock will be a must if you are up by 21 points or more in the 4th quarter.

Pitching: Please do not pitch the ball to gain an advantage on the AI.No lateral pitches allowed.
    Onside kick: Only in the 4 Qtr, and if you are down with less than 2 minutes. Obviously if you are down by a considerable amount then you can go for it earlier, use common sense. Onside kicking should never be done in the first half.

Spreading the Ball Around: WR's should be the main target for passing plays. HB's should be check down receivers and not primary targets. HB receptions should not get out of hand or be a primary aspect of an offensive game plan. Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR should not be a primary target. Majority of passes should be thrown to your two outside WRs with few exceptions.

Excessive offensive audibles (changing formations): Audibling is common in real life, but mostly it is within the same formation or flipped to the other side. Please be cautious of your audibles within a game, you should not be audibling every play.

DEFENSE

Moving Players: You must control the player you are moving presnap. There is no need to move a player and switch to another player in a presnap set. You can use the presnap adjustments for DL, LB or secondary. Constantly spreading or pinching your DL or LBs and 'showing blitz' falls under the rules for mixing up your play calling.

Defensive Play calling: Please call realistic defensive plays for the proper situation. Use a 4 or 5 DL set to stop the run and a 3 or 4 DL set to play the pass. There are formations in these games that allow for unrealistic results. Using the 3-3-5 or 1-5-5 to stop the run, however effective it may be, will not be tolerated. You should not be blitzing every single play.

Defensive Subs: While there are instances in the NFL where an OLB plays DE (Demarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, etc.) we suggest you talk to your commissioner regarding subbing this guy. Make only normal subs. Cornerbacks can play as Safeties, ILB can play as OLB.

SPECIAL TEAMS

ST.1.0 - Fake Punts and FGs: Any fake punt or field goal must follow the same rule used when going for it on fourth down. If you are allowed to go for it on 4th down in that situation, you can also fake the punt or field goal. Faking a FG or punt is part of the game and provides "the element of surprise," but please be realistic. These are very rare in NFL, so please use your best judgment

WEEKLY GAMEPLAY

Pausing: Madden allows a limited number of pauses (5) during the game, so please keep that in mind. If it's ever necessary to pause the game, please tell your opponent before doing so.

WG.2.0- Disconnects: Disconnects/Lag as commissioners we have been given very little to no help in the way of tools/features to deal with disconnects. Therefore, we've come to a general consensus upon disconnect procedure. Don't accuse someone of intentionally disconnecting or anything of that nature. If an owner is doing that, they will be found and dealt with. Regardless, here is our procedure. If a game being played was disconnected:
    Restart the game from that point in time in which it was disconnected. If it was 7-7 with 2:05 in the 3rd quarter and you had the ball - start a new game, manually speak with your opponent and work out an easy way to get the game back to that point. Once the game is back to that point, the gloves come off and you may go back to playing as you normally would.
    Make sure your roster is up to date - a glitch causes disconnects otherwise.
    Remove your router from the equation. Routers are often the culprit of laggy or disconnect issues. If you can directly connect your xbox or ps3 to the modem, do so.
    Schedule your game to be played at another time. Sometimes it is related to server issues or network loads in your city/area - playing at an alternate time (like early evening as opposed to late evening) may do the trick.
    Let the game go to simulation OR decide which opponent deserves the right to finish the game against the CPU. If a player has a 21 point lead with 3 minutes to play, for example, the most likely case is that, that player would eventually win anyways. In obvious situations, let the player that deserves the win finish against the CPU.

WG.3.0- Quitting a Game: -There should be absolutely zero quitting. If you quit without notice and there is not an emergency, then you will be removed from the Franchise. YOU SHOULD NEVER QUIT. We are all adults here and we put time aside to play one another, once you quit you ruin that time for not only yourself but your opponent.

Scheduling: All games will be scheduled on the forum and in a timely manner. There will be a “Game Scheduling” sub forum that will have a thread for each week. You must put when you are playing your game no less than 1 day before scheduled advance. If you do not do so, you will be placed on auto that week so your opponent/CPU can play the game. When an emergency presents itself, please tell us as soon as possible. Scheduling conflicts do arise. In the event that a game time cannot be agreed on, the user/team that has made the most effort to schedule the game will be awarded the opportunity to play against the CPU. If both teams/users have made equal effort, the game will be simmed.

Restarts: There will be NO restarts for user vs. cpu games. If a situation comes up where you need to leave the game vs. CPU, please contact the commissioner. This should not become habit forming and if it does you will be removed from the franchise.

Trades:

- There will be 2 off season trades allowed and 1 in season trade allowed. The 1 in season trade has to be completed and approved before Week 6.
    - Trading draft picks is allowed, depending on League Manager we may be able to trade future draft picks as well.
    - One owner must make a thread regarding the teams involved in the trade.
    This is the way you would start the thread.
    “Cowboys and Texans reach agreement”
    - After creating thread both parties involved in the deal must post that they accept the terms of the trade. Once you post there is no going back on the proposed trade as it will be submitted to league office.
    - If you are trading draft picks, those trades have to be submitted 1 day before the draft is scheduled.

*Will be further tweaked*

• Like Like x 4
  2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

agreed

• Like Like x 1
  3. sportyfan2000

sportyfan2000 Walk On

long list of things to read but thats ok , its better off to read things to understand them , i wont be like al davis thats for sure , mean i dont anyone knows whos the gm of raiders is in real life , least you know for sure in here lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Agreed and ready to go!

5. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Nice handbook. Can't wait to get rollin.

6. a Robbed Lung

a Robbed Lung Legendary Veterans

7. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. jp_0988

jp_0988 Walk On

Hey Bob! As of 7:06am EST, I am unable to view the google doc of the Hard Knocks Handbook. Just wanted to let you know. Maybe it is my computer, I'll see when I get home from work later today.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Good to have you JP!

10. Emmdotfrisk

Good work Bob, the handbook is key ;)

11. Emmdotfrisk

You should see the TCBL handbook if you think this is a lot to read

• Like Like x 1
  12. sportyfan2000

sportyfan2000 Walk On

interesting

13. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Yea Jp. I'm not sure y it doesn't show up. Have you tried a different browser?

14. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Hey that thing was golden. I referred to it so much

15. sportyfan2000

sportyfan2000 Walk On

i believe i need to signed this now , agrees to everything and signs it.

16. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    signed

17. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Do I really have to read this? Thought for a minute I was back in College.

I will read it when I get home.

Edit: Agreed

B0BJR0526

18. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Yezzir

19. jp_0988

jp_0988 Walk On

Well I have tried it on Explorer and on my IPhone and both of them don't work. Any way I could get this document?

20. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Sent you a PM with link

21. jp_0988

jp_0988 Walk On

Thanks Bob! I'll be looking at it and signing off as soon as I'm done!

22. jp_0988

jp_0988 Walk On

Ok Signing it off. Just one question regarding trades... Any restriction on big name players being traded. I think we did talk about that Bob the other, but I can't remember lol! Thanks man!

23. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    As of right now there wont be "restrictions" just trades have to approved by the trade committee. Some will get rejected.

24. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

25. jp_0988

jp_0988 Walk On

Excellent!