Hard Knocks Poll: Simming Seasons

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Should we sim every other season to have a true GM experience?

1. Yes

72.4%
  2. No

27.6%
  1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    OK guys, it's that time.

I have seen enough chatter between TSO and the GroupME to determine that its time to put this sucker to a vote.
    The vote will work this way. If 2/3 of the league votes Yes to a sim then that is the direction we head next year.
    If the vote is yes, we will determine this week how we want to handle the simming.

1 VOTE PER PERSON, POLL WILL NOT CLOSE UNTIL WE GET ALL VOTES

Pros of Simming:

-Development of players drafted in later rounds of the drafts
    -Scouting is more important
    -Ownership of your team is more important, (Relocation, Building new stadiums)
    -Draft picks are more valued, Ex: we won't have RGs going for 1st round picks
    -GM experience
    - Rookies would come of age, bad FA deals would actually have an impact and overall team management would actually mean something

Cons of simming:
    -won't be able to just play games
    -something we have never done.
    -older players will leave faster
    -nfl is a win now league, this will not necessarily be win now
    -might encourage tanking
    If you want to do more research:

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/league-suggestion-simming-seasons.107051/

Ryty
    Rhight
    smace767
    Jmustang1968
    Cimmy24
    thirdalarm
    Cole Copeland
    _MG_
    bigtubb_
    controllerabuser
    cadepetty247
    uagrad90
    thebouncer24
    JerzeyReign
    CTfromDC
    PepperNY
    BobJr
    G_T_G
    BG
    wayers50
    Blackattack87
    Emmdotfrisk
    pitt4life21
    fuzzyl0gic
    Rhight
    capp34
    xxkimura
    Hitmhrd72
    bandit3324
    DC
    CHUNKNESS
    Coach_III

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

I voted "yes," but again, it makes no difference to me whichever you decide.

3. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

I never got this tag BobJr dont know if it is just me

4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Voted yes only cause I am expecting for the playoffs to be simmed as well

• Like Like x 2
  5. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

voted

6. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

I don't see how simming would encourage tanking? one thing people seem to forget. If your guys don't meet normal season goals your guys will regress. So putting your backup QB in to get a favorable draft spot will get you a better draft position but your team will suffer and regress because of it. And, Bob can check rosters before every advance to make sure guys are not tanking.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Bingo. Just ask PepperNY. ;)

8. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

How long would the offseason be? Thats what my vote depends on, if I miss playoffs dont want a 3 week gap of PO- off season -offseason before I can play a game again

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

I would not like them
    here or there.
    I would not like them
    anywhere.
    I do not like
    green eggs and ham.
    I do not like them,
    Sam-I-am

• Like Like x 3
  10. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Offseasons will be like always

11. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

yaya. I will admit the first season we did this I had just drafted a qb due to Drew Brees getting up there in age. I decided to start the young rookie not to tank for a better draft spot but to get the young rookie some expierience and damn if Brees didnt retire on me hah.

12. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    If this were the MLB league, I would say yes. Players take longer to develop and long term goals are very important (it's the little things like single A playoff runs and AA all-star appearances...I understand, I am a Cubs fan). Building and rebuilding are normal circumstances.

HOWEVER, being that it is the NFL, and every season a team goes from worst to first, and a team that is "rebuilding" usually has everyone inside the organization fired within a season or two, I vote no. I enjoy the GM parts of HK as much as anyone, I just don't see how skipping seasons makes it any more or less "impactful" (put it in the dictionary). If someone didn't value draft picks or good contracts before we decided to do this, I highly doubt they will now.

My goal is always "WIN NOW" every year in HK/GS, regardless of talent or circumstance. That is what the NFL is all about. I feel this will encourage guys to make moves to ensure their teams are better off on years we play, and maybe cut money and play the younger guys they might normally would not on years we do not. I also think this hurts, or even punishes, teams who are built to win now in the NFL (such as the patriots, broncos, saints) as it takes the "user skill" out of the game and leaves them with less time to play and enjoy with their veteran players. By the time we play again, many team leaders and big spots on rosters will be gone. I realize that would happen anyway, but it takes away time guys would have playing with these players, which is something I would miss if it were my team. Now, you will only got 1 shot with Manning or Brees, etc.. (there are no good, old players on Miami so this doesn't apply to me lol, there are barely any good players on my team period).

I realize no one cares what I have to say, and the vote is already 12-3. However, this was rather therapeutic to write out, I am ready to move on.

I will play regardless, and I have been enjoying myself this release. GO PHINS!

• Like Like x 6
  13. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Let me also say I obviously see the benefits of this format, moving through more seasons, bringing in younger (fake) players. Having guys consider the long term ramifications of moves they decide to make ( DC ). I am not 100% against this, it just sort of came out of left field and I am not ready. If it were a secondary league, I would be all for it to try it out, but us core guys who have all been playing together for years have never tried this before.

HK was not broken as far as I could see, so why fix it? That being said, maybe I will end up loving this, so ignore me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. thirdalarm

thirdalarm Walk On

_MG_ speaking truth....If this is a breaking point for the original core of HK then I am apposed, I am a believer of seniority (not that seniority Guy) But selfishly I think it keeps a "sim" atmosphere after watching teams in the past Explode free agent contracts that are unreal/out of this world type of money that are not sim for their situations and then preach sim in the rest of the game. checks and balances. It would not subtract for the amount of games played in total.

• Like Like x 2
  15. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, definitely not a deal breaker for me. The more I think about it, I am warming up to it. It isn't the end of the world, and I may enjoy it more than the current format that we have been using. I stand by what I wrote, but I am cool with it.

THAT BEING SAID, IF I WIN A SUPERBOWL DURING A SIM SEASON IT GOES ON MY RESUME, NO ASTERISKS

16. DC

DC Shake n Bake

there were no long term ramifications until this....My whole problem with this is not the simming, rather the fact we did not plan this from the start. And it is pretty obvious i planned for a 6 season League. With no idea we would end up going 14ish. You can say it is my fault. But i think you had the same plan. No way id have ever traded for AP going 14 seasons. Gio will be a beast in 5 seasons or so.

My vote is no, But i will take it as it comes. I do wish i had known at the beginning. I would have approached the league, FA, Trades and everything Differently.

That being said, I will still be here if it changes.

And for what its worth _MG_ was also going after AP ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I see there is no point in voting no, But i am still standing by my belief in this! #VOTENOSIM

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

This, also BobJr I think seniority should be a big factor in the vote u guys have a successful thing going with hard knocks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

20. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

and also, the tags didn't work commish

21. smace767

smace767 Walk On

My .02

I do support the idea and dont see a negative side. The games played will actually increase. Playoff games will increase.
    I think nobody should interrupt what was going on here. and senior members should have a strong voice and valued opinion.

But you never know when life gets in the way. an advocate for a move might not be around in two months. members should have an equal vote but senior guys should have a stronger voice if you can understand what i mean.

To take on the GM roles that would be needed for a 12-14 season is a commitment. If you are just here to play the games what happens if you start to lose. Human nature says you will lose interest.

In these leagues like this the most dedicated active members are guys at the bottom trying to fight and claw to get to the playoffs.

I also think if this is the plan. we are only in week 8. we should restart and give everyone a clean even slate as we go for 14 seasons. It may only be a few guys but starting from this point would taint and mess up their plans and long term would dampen their experience.

This is suppose to be competitive fun. And guys who made moves would be screwed and not have as much fun.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Food for thought that I was going to post later, but after talking to Bob a bit I figured I'd at least get this out there now.

One of, in my opinion, the greatest things about this league is the camaraderie. With that, when we used to get together on Skype and BS during the draft was by far my favorite part of an HK season.

When I was younger, I used to spend entire nights of simming seasons on NCAA with my brother in law. It was great to shoot the shit and see how the outcomes turned out.

See where I'm going with this? Just to add another coal to the fire...I would love to BS with you guys while we simmed through a season.

• Like Like x 2
  23. DC

DC Shake n Bake

It is obvious where this is headed. I think we should sim Playoffs as well. Just my humble Opinion. Please don't kill me!

24. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

i voted
    there's going to be a ton of BS'ing with this party chat feature. I'll be in a party every night no doubt, I know thirdalarm and Blackattack87 along with controllerabuser are always looking for party chats to BS in. That's all i'm pumped about. This whole sim or no sim is just petty talk to me, I just want to BS before i play, while i play, after i play.

But to add to this, I really don't think someone feels strong enough to just quit HK with this. I'm neutral, I voted 'yes' but only because there was no neutral position spot and at the time it felt right, i'm back and forth. So take 1 away from yes and put it neutral

• Like Like x 3
  25. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

I agree, if you're simming a season, you should sim the playoffs. I see no point in playing the playoffs

• Like Like x 3