Hard Knocks RPI Rankings: A Preview

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by HAL9100, Aug 27, 2012.

1. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    NeuroticTruth and I will be working this release on the Hard Knocks RPI Rankings. I've done this once before in another league but I never tried to explain how the ratings work and I think that might've led to some confusion. So I decided I would give a preview and explanation of how the ratings are made.

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index and it's mainly used in collegiate basketball. This is not a subjective ranking. It doesn't take into account how well a team looked or by how large or small a team won. It's an objective ranking that only accounts for the most tangible facts possible in sports; wins and losses. On the surface, it's a very simple formula:

RPI = (Your Winning Percentage(WP) * 0.25) + (Your Opponents' Winning Percentage(OWP) * 0.50) + (Your Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage(OOWP) * 0.25)

So the biggest factor in your rating is how tough of a schedule you play. Your actual performance is only 25% of the rating, but it should weed out the contenders vs the pretenders by the end of the season.

That's not the end of it though. I also weight your performance based on how you do at home and on the road. A home win counts for only .6 of a win on your record while a home loss counts for 1.4 of a loss. And vice versa, a road win counts for 1.4 of a win and a road loss counts for .6 of a loss. So while the Packers went 15-1 last year, they actually went 14.6-.6 on the weighted scale which gives them a higher winning percentage.

Then, you can't just use your opponents real records. If Team A beats Team B, then why should Team B being 0-1 negatively affect Team A's RPI? It shouldn't. So, we remove those results from the records to create a Corrected OWP and OOWP.

So here's some screenshots showing what I'm working with using last year's real results.

First, it's simple but I need to enter each team's record and their performance at home and away.

[​IMG]

Then I take those numbers and plug them into a spreadsheet that has the full season schedule and adds the Win and Loss record for every opponent together into one number.

[​IMG]

Then I repeat that step into another spreadsheet to get the total Wins and Losses for the OOWP record.

[​IMG]

This is where all the real magic goes down. Probably 90% of this sheet is just calculation upon calculation.

[​IMG]

And after all of that, we get the RPI Rankings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  2. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Yikes! That's some serious business. Don't ask me to summarize what I just read, but I will be looking forward to seeing these.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On