1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Hard Knocks RPI Rankings: A Preview

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by HAL9100, Aug 27, 2012.

1. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    NeuroticTruth and I will be working this release on the Hard Knocks RPI Rankings. I've done this once before in another league but I never tried to explain how the ratings work and I think that might've led to some confusion. So I decided I would give a preview and explanation of how the ratings are made.

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index and it's mainly used in collegiate basketball. This is not a subjective ranking. It doesn't take into account how well a team looked or by how large or small a team won. It's an objective ranking that only accounts for the most tangible facts possible in sports; wins and losses. On the surface, it's a very simple formula:

RPI = (Your Winning Percentage(WP) * 0.25) + (Your Opponents' Winning Percentage(OWP) * 0.50) + (Your Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage(OOWP) * 0.25)

So the biggest factor in your rating is how tough of a schedule you play. Your actual performance is only 25% of the rating, but it should weed out the contenders vs the pretenders by the end of the season.

That's not the end of it though. I also weight your performance based on how you do at home and on the road. A home win counts for only .6 of a win on your record while a home loss counts for 1.4 of a loss. And vice versa, a road win counts for 1.4 of a win and a road loss counts for .6 of a loss. So while the Packers went 15-1 last year, they actually went 14.6-.6 on the weighted scale which gives them a higher winning percentage.

Then, you can't just use your opponents real records. If Team A beats Team B, then why should Team B being 0-1 negatively affect Team A's RPI? It shouldn't. So, we remove those results from the records to create a Corrected OWP and OOWP.

So here's some screenshots showing what I'm working with using last year's real results.

First, it's simple but I need to enter each team's record and their performance at home and away.

[​IMG]

Then I take those numbers and plug them into a spreadsheet that has the full season schedule and adds the Win and Loss record for every opponent together into one number.

[​IMG]

Then I repeat that step into another spreadsheet to get the total Wins and Losses for the OOWP record.

[​IMG]

This is where all the real magic goes down. Probably 90% of this sheet is just calculation upon calculation.

[​IMG]

And after all of that, we get the RPI Rankings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  2. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Yikes! That's some serious business. Don't ask me to summarize what I just read, but I will be looking forward to seeing these.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On