Hard4Yards Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by nikpin, Aug 10, 2010.

1. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Hard4Yards Fantasy Football

We decided to make a Hard4Yards fantasy football league on Yahoo Sports. All the settings are pretty standard yahoo/espn scoring with an auction draft. It's currently set for Sunday Aug 22st @ 5 CST but can be moved around as we'd like for as many people to make it as possible if not all.

It's obviously not mandatory or anything but who doesn't like a little fantasy football? Also if Dylan approves the prize for winning the league is 7 Points + the ball against me in our next user game.

The League ID# is 388237 and PW is football. Edit: Forgot the link... http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/?lid=388237

Let me know if that draft time doesn't work and we can try to figure something out.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

deal!

3. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

count me in

4. nikpin

Sweet. I know DCD, JQwon and myself are in. We might also bring back some Hard4Yards alumni such as Jkyle and FuzzyL0gic if they are interested.

5. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Damn, I didn't realize you were gonna be giving up some points...

6. DirtycashDylan

Jason can't do Saturday. Can we do a Sunday draft instead?

7. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

8. nikpin

That's cool with me. Sunday at 5 cool with everyone else?

9. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Looking forward to this. I've never taken part in the Auction Drafts but have done the regular fantasy football for probably a good 8-9 years now.

10. nikpin

Auction draft are definitely where it's at. So far we've got Snoopy, JQwon, Crumb and myself from Hard4Yards. Where's everyone else at?

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm down to join

12. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

I'm interested but I don't think Sunday evening works for me.

13. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Wait how does auction draft work-- with real money?

14. nikpin

You can always prerank your players. Or if Sunday at 5 doesn't work for another person we can move it.

Sweet, just follow the link and sign up with the league ID and PW. We are at 6 and need at least 8 to have a decent league and 10-12 is preferable.

Nah everyone starts with $200 of draft cash. Here's someone extolling it's virtues and briefly describing it.

Everyone switches to an auction format
    Why? Because nobody in the history of mankind has ever NOT had fun during an auction. Because it spares us from the missionary-position feel of a round-by-round draft; auctions can go in any direction. (You never know who might run out of money too soon, you never know which bargains will be lurking at the end and you can't predict anyone else's game plan. In a round-by-round draft, I can see who's picking No. 2 and guess "He's going to do this, this and this" and probably be right. In an auction? No way.) Because simmering tensions can bubble to the surface, usually when two dudes who secretly don't like each other suddenly get into a rooster-swinging contest over some random QB. Because nothing's more fun than bidding someone else up, and nothing's less fun than getting stuck with that player if the other owner backs off. Because it's always fun to make fun of the one guy who outsmarted himself and got stuck with $20-$25 he can't use. And best of all, because someone like Chris Johnson goes to the highest bidder instead of someone who just lucked out by pulling an ace from a deck of cards.

(Put it this way: I have never, not once, talked to someone who did a fantasy auction, then decided afterward, "Nahhhhh, I still like round-by-round more." Also, some leagues have an auction until every team acquires eight or 10 players, then they go round-by-round after that. Or, as I'd like to christen this idea right now, "The Surf and Turf." I like this wrinkle. Best of both worlds.)Everyone switches to an auction format
    Why? Because nobody in the history of mankind has ever NOT had fun during an auction. Because it spares us from the missionary-position feel of a round-by-round draft; auctions can go in any direction. (You never know who might run out of money too soon, you never know which bargains will be lurking at the end and you can't predict anyone else's game plan. In a round-by-round draft, I can see who's picking No. 2 and guess "He's going to do this, this and this" and probably be right. In an auction? No way.) Because simmering tensions can bubble to the surface, usually when two dudes who secretly don't like each other suddenly get into a rooster-swinging contest over some random QB. Because nothing's more fun than bidding someone else up, and nothing's less fun than getting stuck with that player if the other owner backs off. Because it's always fun to make fun of the one guy who outsmarted himself and got stuck with $20-$25 he can't use. And best of all, because someone like Chris Johnson goes to the highest bidder instead of someone who just lucked out by pulling an ace from a deck of cards.

(Put it this way: I have never, not once, talked to someone who did a fantasy auction, then decided afterward, "Nahhhhh, I still like round-by-round more." Also, some leagues have an auction until every team acquires eight or 10 players, then they go round-by-round after that. Or, as I'd like to christen this idea right now, "The Surf and Turf." I like this wrinkle. Best of both worlds.)

15. DirtycashDylan

LOL at your new avatar! The first incarnation of the league rules were entitled "Brule's Rules".

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Haha nice didn't see that...fucking love Steve Brule, he's hilarious...for your health

17. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I will give it a shot.

18. DirtycashDylan

19. nikpin

Invite sent to JKyle. We are at 8 right now and have room for 4 more. Fuzzy, thedeafpoliceman, Jkyle, and possibly briosu have expressed interest so hopefully we can fill this up.

20. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I'll jump in if you have spot.

21. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

That sounds pretty fun but I'm busy with other fantasy stuff already. This auction draft seems pretty cool. How do you decide what players to bid on? Do you just use Yahoo's generic list and start with #1 and go down?

22. nikpin

Yea we've only got 8 in right now so fill free to jump in.

The draft just goes in order like a normal draft but instead of snaking it just jumps back to #1. You are allowed to nominate anyone not previously taken and open the bidding at $1. For instance the 1st person doesn't have to nominate Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. They can nominate T.O. or Donovan McNabb. You dictate the flow of who's nominated.

23. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

I didn't realize that the players actually had control over who was up for bid at a given point. That really adds an element of strategy to the draft that I had never even thought of from an outside perspective. I had always figured that the draft essentially went in order based on your most skilled players first determined by the computer or just some random list.

Looking forward to hopefully winning several games in this and then also doing well in my own College Football Pick'Em. It'll make up for my lack of victories on the virtual gridiron. :)

24. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I'm still in and for once I can make the draft...

I've just been too lazy to make a yahoo account yet.

25. nikpin

Sounds good. I just realized that we it was set to 10 teams max so if someone wanted to join I just opened up two more spots.