Harry Stone's Hot Stone League - Season 4 Awards, Part IV

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Hot Stone League - Season 4 Awards, Part IV

[​IMG]

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

1) Jerod Mayo, MLB, New England Patriots(72 tack, 5 sack, 5 INT, 3 fumb rec)
    In a year that offense has ruled the OMFL, many of the past defensive greats in the league have seen their stat line decrease dramatically. Not so for Mayo who is filling up the stat book in almost every way. His 72 tackles are third best in the OMFL. Furthermore, he is also a threat rushing the passer or dropping back in pass coverage as his five sacks and five interceptions (along with five pass deflections) would indicate. Plus he is doing this on a team that ranks third in the AFC in scoring defense. The Patriots rely on their elaborate defensive schemes to confound their opponents, and most all of those schemes revolve directly around Mayo. This race, unlike the last two we have covered, should be close but Mayo in my book has the edge right now.

2) Jared Allen, DE, Minnesotta Vikings (56 tack, 12 sack, 30 TFL, 1 fumb rec)
    There truly is not a more feared defensive lineman in the OMFL than Jared Allen. The bearded beast has been terrorizing quarterbacks to the tune of 12 sacks and countless more hurries and knockdowns. He is also a ridiculous machine in the running game accounting for 30 tackles for loss. Ok I want you to look at that again. 30 tackles for loss!!!! That number is simply nuts. That means not only do you have to worry about him in the pass rush, but you really shouldn't even be running to his side either. There is probably not another player in this league who has the impact that Allen brings every time he lines up at right end. Don't be fooled by his #2 ranking. . .Allen is as deserving of this award as anybody.

3) Shawne Merriman, DE, Jacksonville Jaguars (13 sacks, 20 TFL, 1 INT, 2 defensive TD)
    Merriman is THE man on the league's best defense. Like Allen above, Merriman is the most feared player every time the Jaguar defense takes the field and opposing offenses are having to gameplan directly around him. So far this season it hasn't worked much though as Merriman leads the OMFL in sacks, and his 20 tackles for loss means he is able to shut down the rushing attack as well. Whats more impressive perhaps is that Merriman has an interception and two defensive touchdowns, proving that he is an opportunistic playmaker on the defensive line. Jacksonville has by far the leagues best defense, allowing only 15.7 pgga (the next closes team in the AFC, Denver, allows 22.5 ppga). The leader of a defense that dominant is bound to be a factor in the Defensive POY race.

4) Demeco Ryans, MLB, Houston Texans (90 tack, 8 TFL, 1 sack, 2 INT)
    Ryans is having a montser year, on pace for well over 100 tackles which would set a new OMFL record. Anybody who has seen or played the Texans knows just what a central role he plays in their schemes. Like Mayo, everything revolves around him. His exterior numbers (sacks, ints, ect.) trail Mayo but there is no doubt that in the 4-3 scheme Houston plays Ryans excells in ways that Mayo would not. These top two linebackers are apples to oragnes. If you like a 4-3 middle backer who can individually shut down the run and do it in dominating fashion, then Ryans should get your vote.

5) Patrick Willis, MLB, San Fransisco 49ers (68 tack, 18 TFL, 4 sack, 3 INT)
    Another well rounded year for Willis would be really a heck of a year for almost anyone else. Even though this may be a bit of a 'down' year for him there is no doubt that these numbers make him a player worthy of consideration for this award. Willis leads a defense that is third in the NFC and fourth in the OMFL in scoring defense, and like always he is a shut down force in rushing defense with 68 tackles and 18 tackles for loss. Willis this year may be overshadowed a bit by the first wo linebackers on this list but we expect he'll garner some support and votes before its all said and done.

TOMORROW: OMFL MVP

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just a little sidenote...unlike the other races I've previewed I think this one is way too close to call as really any of these five guys could win it (hell maybe even guys that didn't make my list here). Going to be the most interesting award race this year I think!

3. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I would have thought there was at least one or two DBs that have close to 10 ints. Especially since Gaddy has thrown 30 of them... Just sayin!!

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

There are 5 CBs I believe with 9 INTs....but their surrounding stat lines weren't worthy of DPOY consideration in my view.

5. StevenRhysCann

StevenRhysCann Arizona Cardinals

Have to think Mayo wins this one, having played Gaddy twice this year, he makes both running and passing in the middle of the field almost impossible.

6. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Good, maybe gaddy will give me back guyton!