Harry Stone's "Hot Stone League": Week 16 & Award Races!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Harry Stone's "Hot Stone League": Week 16 & Award Races!

OMFL Hot Stone League - Week 5​

[​IMG]

After a long hiatus we are back, and this time we are going to take a different look at the league, giving you our Top 5 prospects for each postseason award, and then taking a look at a couple games of the week.

HOT AWARD WATCH

(Top 5 Choices, In Order)

MVP
    1) Steve Smith, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars (79 rec, 1951 yds, 20 TD): The speedy flanker has already set an NFL and OMFL single season record for receiving yards, and he still has a chance with two weeks left to set the receiving TD record. . .and he's done all of this while facing constant double and even triple teams. More importantly, he is the main reason that the Jaguars have won their first division title. The most explosive player in the OMFL is the frontrunner for this years AFC and league MVP.

2) Kurt Warner, QB, Oakland Raiders (267/406, 4025 yds, 36 TD, 17 INT): The ageless one has again propelled the Raiders to a division title and has them in position as one of the favorites in the AFC as we approach the playoffs. Let's face it, Warner is as important to his team as anybody else in the league and he's doing it with mediocre receivers this season. The only thing that may hold him back is his overall numbers aren't the best in the conference.

3) Drew Brees, QB, Jacksonville Jaguars (219/355, 4170 yds, 36 TD, 15 INT): Brees has been fantasic and efficient this year with the best stat line across the board in the league. He has more yards and as many TD's as Warner in less attemps. In a normal year he'd probably be the MVP frontrunner. However he is going to be overshadowed in this race by his teammate Smith, and he is a longshot at best to win this award.

4) Jack English, QB, New Orleans Saints (215/305, 3396 yds, 28 TD, 15 INT): Just a marvelous sophomore campaign for the second year quarterback out of Stanford. English has the highest completion percentage in the league, and he has been putting up stellar numbers even though he has only attempted 305 passes this season. Coach/GM Nate is looking like a genious for trading up in the draft to select him last year. English has given the Saints their first division title, and has them as favorites in the NFC. With the years the top three guys are having a league MVP may be out of the picture, but English is definately a good bet to pick up the NFC MVP hardware.

5) Calvin Johnson, WR, Detriot Lions (83 rec, 1785 yds, 14 TD): If it wasn't for Steve Smith, Johnson would be setting the NFL receiving yardage record this season. He's also second in the league in receptions making him one of the most dangerous players in the league. He is propelling Detriot to the unthinkable. . .a division title. That alone is worth of serious MVP consideration.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    1) Antonio Cromartie, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars (12 INT, 1 sack, 9 touchdowns): Cromartie was a runaway for this award at the midpoint, however he has had a fairly quiet second half of the season. However with no linebackers in the league having spectacular years its still Cromartie's award to lose. 12 interceptions is nothing overly impressive. However 9 touchdowns by a defensive player is something we've rarely seen in the league. Cromartie is your frontrunner, but this one is close. The last two weeks could shift this race.

2) Ameriol Jones, SS, Philadelphia Eagles (10 INT, 52 tackles, 2 FF): Jones is already a star in this league in only his second year. He is a force that can stop the run and is very dangerous in pass coverage. Coach Vishal's blitz heavy schemes work perfectly with Jones' skill set, and have allowed him to become the feature player on this defense. A stong last two weeks by Jones could see him pulling in some hardware.

3) Jerod Mayo, MLB, New England Patriots (60 tackles, 8 INT, 1 sack): The reigning defensive player of the year is again in the picture as the season winds down. 60 tackles and 8 interceptions puts him amoung the elite linebackers in the league. However with the years Jones and Cromartie are having it will take a Herculean final two weeks by Mayo to repeat.

4) Patrick Willis, MLB, San Fransisco 49ers (69 tackes, 4 INT, 4 sacks): Another good year for Willis puts him on this list. The leader of the leagues best defense an pass rush, defend the run, and cover in passing situations. That's rare. However a less than eye popping stat line will hurt Willis come voting time.

5) Joe Breyley, DE, Chicago Bears (54 tackes, 14 sacks, 2 FF): The leagues sack leader is a force for the Bears, commanding constant double teams from opposing lineman. 54 tackles is exception for a lineman, and he also has two forced fumbles to go with is. Another young second year player, Breyley is proving that the draft does indeed matter in the OMFL.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
    1) X'Zavious Hewitt, WR, New York Jets (95 rec, 1478 yds, 4 TD): Hewitt has broken rookie receiving records for receptions and yards on a team that hasn't won a game. That means opposing defenses are able to double and even triple team Hewitt, yet he still gets his catches. X'Zavious had a chip on his shoulder after numerous teams passed on him in the first round. Well he is proving everybody wrong. At the midpoint of the season everybody thought the #2 guy on our list was running away with this award. If anybody but Hewitt wins it now this writer will be shocked.

2) Bjeorn Mason, HB, Arizona Cardinals (253 car, 1644 yds, 16 TD): Mason is not only the best rookie running back this season, but may very well be the best running back in the league period. He has been a workhorse and will lead the league in rushing attemps when the season is over. If Hewitt wasn't lighting up the record books Mason would be a runaway for this award. However he still has a couple of weeks to make up ground.

3) De'Anthony Williams, MLB, Detriot Lions (73 tackles, 2 INT, 2 sacks): Williams has become the leader of the Detriot defense that will see its first playoff action in over a decade. Like Willis, he can do it rushing the passer, defending the run, and dropping back in pass coverage. However with the offensive stars in this years class Williams is a longshot to win.

4) Dion Grimes, WR, Chicago Bears (71 rec, 1392 yds, 11 TD): If it wasn't for a couple of stints on the injury list Grimes would be higher on this list. The #1 overall pick certainly hasn't dissappointed as he's amoung the league leaders in receptions, yards, and touchdowns. He is my darkhorse here and a couple of great final weeks could mean some hardware.

5) Tavadis Purcell, WR, Tennessee Titans (56 rec, 1031 yds, 8 TD): Purcell certainly isn't having the year Grimes and Hewitt are, but you have to remember that its Vince Young throwing him the football. Purcell is a speedster with great kick return abilities as well, and he is one of the reasons the Titans are making their patented second half comeback.

OWNER OF THE YEAR
    1) SaintsDave, New York Jets (0-15): How can the owner of an 0-15 team be at the top of my list? Well let me tell you. Dave has been one of the most consistent owners in the OMFL through three seasons, and never has had a problem scheduling his games, posting his recaps, and has never had any kind of warning issued against him. Perhaps more importantly, he is the only owner in the league who has posted content every single week this season. . .that being his 'Fantasy Studs of the Week'. When we bring together his dedication to the league along with his forum content, this just smells like an owner of the year, and I don't think its close. DAVE FOR OWNER OF THE YEAR!

2) Nate, New Orleans Saints (12-2): In his long history in the OMFL going back the PC days, Nate has never had a team this good and this capable of winning it all. Of course none of us would be here without what Nate has done maintaining and creating this league. If Dave doesn't win this award, there's nobody more deserving that the Commish.

3) Vishal, Philadephia Eagles (12-2): Coach Vishal has fought through a rocky offseason to somehow bring his players together and win the NFC East title. He is another owner who has been nothing but positive for this league, and he finally has a team that is capable of winning the OMFL Bowl.

4) Gaddy, New England Patriots (13-1): Gaddy has again rolled through the AFC East to his third consecutive division title. Without injuries heading into the playoffs his team will undoubtedly be the favorites for the OMFL Bowl. His compilation of three consecutive fantasic regular seasons gets him on our list.

5) Joseph, Oakland Raiders: Joseph came very close to winning this award last year and again he's had another marvelous season. A loss in Week 15 didn't help, but when you consider this: The Raiders are hanging with the elite in the AFC including the Pats, Jaguars, Titans, and Colts without nearly as much talent on the field. That is a testament to this coach.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Games of the Week

1) Titans (9-5) vs. Texans (8-6): The final playoff spot in the AFC will likely be decided this week with these two AFC South powers squaring off. It was just a couple of weeks ago that the Titans blew out the Texans and pushed themselves into the playoff discussion. Now it's the Texans who face a must win situation in Week 16.

The Titans have gotten back to what they do best, and that's running the football with Chris Johnson and Lendale White. Too often early in the season Coach Ox relied on Vince Young to lead this team, and he proved that he's not up to the task. Now it's again Johnson being featured as the primary weapon for this offense. You also have rookie speedster receiver Tavadis Purcell on the outside providing that explosive deep thread to keep defenses honest.

The Texans on the other hand feature a much more balanced attack. Matt Shaub, Andre Johnson, and Felix Jones have been a one-two-three combo that not many teams have had an answer for. Couple that with a solid defensive unit and the Texans have proven they can play with anybody in the league.

This is also a matchup of two contrasting owners. The brash style of Coach Ox has made headlines recently with his early annointment of the Titans as a playoff lock. Meanwhile, Coach Dunn has hung in the shadows as he saw his team lose a big game against the Bengals. We haven't heard much from the Texans owner.

With the Titans on a roll and the Texans struggling this one would seem to be an easy pick, but as we have found out time and time again in the AFC South, nothing is certain. Expect a close one with the team who turns it over less to come out on top. A Titans win and they lock up a playoff spot. A Texans win and they would control their own destiny as Week 17 gets much more interesting.

Titans 38, Texans 35

*Harry Stone is a columnist for the Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer and a contributor to the OMFL Blogs*

2. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Good call on the Texans Titans game but minus 2 in the turnovers did in the Texans again and they will watch the postseason at home. 37-31 Titans CJ was sick 11 yards per carry...

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Dunlap, I really think you need to add Bluebean to your Coach of the Year poll.

He has done more with less than anyone.

4. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

How is Bjoern trailing Hewitt in ROY race? Also of note, there are several RBs that have gotten more carries thus far than Mason.

5. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I think there needs to be a serious emphasis on people learning how to play defense. These offensive statistics are so gaudy.

6. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

Dion Grimes is having a better year than Hewitt too.

7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

On an 0-15 team, Hewitt should run away with this award. That's just my opinion. Hewitt is the lone bright spot on that team.

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

Totally agree. Hes going to finish with upwards of 110 receptions and 1500 yards. Thats unreal stuff! We've seen multiple years at RB like Mason is having, so nothing out of the ordinary. This is just my opinion of course. . .

9. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Ya, Daves a great guy but owner of the year should be on the field. Bluebean should be in that running, IMO. Great write up. I love the discussion.

10. VishaL

VishaL OMFL Eagles / PMFL Seahawks

Hewitt did his thing VS the Eagles

11. VishaL

i agree about Bluebean being in the poll. Are the awards going to be the same as last year where we nominated players, i think when we do the offical Ballot Dunlap and Jeremy and Pbates and Waji(sorry iam Biased toward the NFC) should be added to the Nominations

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think what I am going to do is sit down with a board member and put together a ballot. The nomination thing takes too long I found out. So we will get the ballot together this week and have the voting next week!

13. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I disagree, owner of the season should be about just as much off the field as on the field. Sportsmanship,gameplay,what he contributes to the league as far as articles,etc. Just my .02

14. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I think when it comes to the owner of the year, you have to look at the entire package. Is he a great owner, (Games in on time, sportsmanship, posts, articles, active). Dave is clearly that. The man is one of the best.

15. Big D

Big D Walk On

Yup....I agree guys which is why he is my number one.

This is of course a league wide vote however so people will have a chance to 'disagree' with my by filing their votes next week! Haha.

16. VishaL

Thanks for the great read Big D!

17. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

nice job on the writeup.

ive got an idea....

Mack Jackson who leads the league in tackles, has 4 ints, 5 sacks, 2 FF's should be at least mentioned in the defensive POY if not the runaway winner.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

He will definately be on the final ballot ;) These are just Harry Stone's picks. . .remember that :beernana:

19. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

:thumbsup:

20. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

Have you seen how many interceptions Mark Sanchez has thrown? Last I checked it was 40 something...Anyone can force the ball down a recievers throat...the 40+ ints tells me he's not even doing a good job at that. And only 4 Tds? Hewitt is getting yards and receptions(and not much else) in a horrid pass offense.

Dion Grimes on the other hand has 7 more Tds and his avg yards per catch is much higher.

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

Then we can agree to disagree about this.

22. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

it should be 2 different awards. Coach of the year (game play) and Owner of the year (everything else).

23. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Rivers getting snubbed, like baseballs Votto, 3444yds (more than English), 33 TDs (5 more than English), and same small amount of INTs with 15. Engish may lead the league in completion percentage, but Rivers is a close second, very close, by about 3 completions

24. Big D

Big D Walk On

True, but English is on a 12-2 team. . .Rivers is on a sub .500 team. ;)

25. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Hey 7-7, not Rivers fault. Maybe if LT stop fumbling 2-3 times a game....