Have we decided how/ if we're doing coaching changes in '11?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ociu, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Have we decided how/ if we're doing coaching changes in '11?

I'd think that'd be a pretty important topic, and I just wanted to see how that was going to work. I know we haven't even picked teams yet, but I wanted to see in advance how our "coaching carousel" was going to work.

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I think we should have that option. I'd like to make it simple, based on achievements, so you know exactly where you can go.

Something along these lines:

25 wins --- Any 2 star program
    35 wins --- Any 3 star program
    45 wins --- Any 4 star program
    55 wins --- Any 5 star program
    65 wins --- Any 6 star program

Then maybe we give bonuses:

Win your conference --- 2 "bonus wins"
    win a Bowl game --- 1 "bonus win"
    win a BCS Bowl game --- 2 "bonus wins"
    win a BCS Title --- 3 "bonus wins"

These are just some ideas off the top of my head.

3. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

That's a nice base, I think.
    In my opinion, there should be some degree of restriction as far as what teams start looking for new coaches. If a team's coming off of a Rose Bowl year, it isn't likely that they're going to be looking for a coach. As such, I'd like to see us come up with a system that shows coaches of programs "on the hot seat" that are looking for new coaches. At that point, your system can come in to effect.

We'd have to play around with the bonuses and such, but I think that's a nice system. I'd like to see a 2 year rule where you have to be with your current team for two years before jumping to a new team to create some degree of stability, and if you aren't performing up to standards, you can be pushed down a degree.

I'm sure we'll be able to figure something like this out once '11 comes around. I just wanted to open up talks about it to see where we'd go from here.

Thanks for the response, D.

4. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Very good idea. We may also look at, just a suggestion, at adding a bonus recruit for winning conference, bowl games, etc.

5. dakota7

It'll take at least 2 years to get to 25 wins, even if you hit all the bonuses.

6. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

It seems most are going to be in favor of coaching changes. I guess I'll be in the minority. My concern is we'll get to season 5 and most coaches would've bolted for new teams (Only after repeated lies saying they were not coaching anywhere else and denying rumors), and we'll be left with little rivalries and few user to user match-ups.

If we are doing coaching changes I think it would be better to leave it to two conferences... Like pac-10 or Big 12 for the west, and the SEC/ACC/Big 10 for the east. This way even after Coaches start bolting we will create new, and expand existing rivalries.

7. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Yeah, I just meant that if someone bolts after 25, then they don't jump at 35 unless it's been 2 seasons. I do agree with Shino that some degree of stability within conferences is desirable, and I think that if we enforce contracts to some degree, it might help.

I'm just ballparking ideas. We've got a loooooooong time to figure this out, and if NCAA 11 (finally) puts in a coaching carousel feature, this is all a non-argument anyway.

8. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I think your idea is spectacular.

I LOVE the idea of coaching contracts based on what you achieve.

I could even keep track of it all with a dummy offline dynasty that would be able to give us an idea of what we should be accomplishing with our teams for the first year (like get to the bowl game, beat such and such rival, and so on).

Also, I'm going to do some research on it, but I'm pretty positive that the coaching goals from year to year are based on how well the team has done in the past (like WVU's goals are always either win the National Championship or make it to the BCS Bowl game as well as beating our rivals and winning the conference championship).

So it's pretty easy to determine what the requirements are going to be based on the teams and I should be able to set it up so that I can take our dyansty offline at the beginning of the season and then put a dummy of it up and switch the roster however I want (to make it where we'd be able to have a user as whatever team we want to know whether or not the coach would be on the hotseat so we can see what the coaching goals are for that season for that team).

I should definitely be able to do that to facilitate this idea.

9. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Glad my Big 10 crony has my back on this. :)

I think we could come up with some simple parameters that would qualify a "hot" coach or a "coach on the hot seat". I'd be more than happy to keep track of these from week to week and put it in a weekly article, following the user schools as well as the big-time non-user schools.

I know that I'm a College Student with not much to do, so I'd be up for putting together a newsletter/ newspaper for the dynasty once a week. It could be fun, and I'm sure some of you guys would like to see your teams in print. VBG.

It'd include top 25s, scores, power rankings, recruiting updates, coach profiles, and games of the week. It'd be a heck of a way to keep people involved, and it'd be a fun timewaster for me.

10. dakota7

Great ideas. The newsletter sounds great.

11. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

+1

Absolutely.

I think the parameters for being on the hotseat would probably consist of something like this for one of the BIG schools:

1. Losing more than 2 conference games in consecutive seasons
    2. Losing to your main rival (Texas vs Oklahoma, WVU vs Pittsburgh, Miami vs Florida State)
    3. Dropping out of the Top 25 in consecutive seasons
    4. Starting a season unranked and losing more than 2 games that season

For smaller schools, I think something like this would suffice:

1. Going .500 or below in conference in consecutive seasons
    2. Having a below .500 record against rivals in consecutive seasons
    3. Missing a bowl game in three consecutive seasons

Please feel free to add to it as those are the only ones I can really think of right off the top of my head.

12. dakota7

I like these ideas. My only concern was if we make it too complex it will kind of fall by the wayside as we get 3 or 4 seasons in. I'm not trying to crush the idea or anything, I just want us to be realistic when we develop the system.

If we look at limiting available teams....or "open jobs".... to 5/6 star teams that don't finish the season in the top 25 or maybe any team that doesn't make a bowl game......would that be restrictive enough?

13. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

My only problem with that is that most 5 and 6 star teams don't drop out of the top 25 unless they get beat by multiple user teams because they are in the same conference.

Plus it seems unrealistic that a team dropping out of the top 25 once would result in a coaching change immediately. Two seasons in a row of bad performance should be the minimum for 5 or 6 star teams.

For 4 star teams, missing a bowl game two seasons in a row would be logical (though the team may drop down to a 3 star team though I'm not sure if that actually happens in online dynasty or not) as well as going below .500 in a conference two seasons in a row.

I think that combined with your win record scale would work very well.

14. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

And, like I said, I can keep track of all of that myself to make sure that we have an up to date list of teams that are available to switch to once the coach has enough wins to make the switch.

15. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

And I never meant that as an ultimatum statement or anything though.

If you feel that it's too complicated, then by all means, we'll go with what you suggested instead. I just felt that high prestige teams shouldn't have such an easily attainable coaching vacancy as what you suggested but, in the end, it's truly up to you with what you want to do with the dynasty man.

16. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Just thought I'd mention a couple things that we experienced w/ coaching changes..

1. It does make scheduling pretty complicated after a while..

2. There could be some really, really good 4 star schools that got knocked down from 6 stars - so that may be unfair. As in they may have the talent of a 6 star and be a 4 star or something, so watch out for that.

Adios.

17. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

So the computer prestige actually does change from season to season in Online Dynasty? I wasn't sure if it did or if you had to take the dynasty offline and then progress to the end of the season so that it would take effect.

18. dakota7

Its all good. I didn't get any kind of ultimatum vibe.

I guess I was just kind of thinking it over. We're not really in a rush.

Anything we do is up to everyone, not just me.

19. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

The newly announced online dynasty portal will make this newspaper idea much easier to make.

I say we go with it.

20. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I think you have to take it offline to view the prestige, and you can also view cumulative records from through out the OD.

We used the cumulative records and the prestige to determine which schools would be available. It was probably too complicated, I'm sure there is a simpler way.

21. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I completely agree.

I wonder how switching schools will affect that stuff though...

22. dakota7

Hey, I was just reading the review of '11 on operation sports and the guy said that coaching contracts are included this year in the ODs. We'll have to check it out, but I'm hoping that we can just use the feature that's already in the game. We may have to tweak it a little, but hopefully it can be the foundation at the least.

Here's the review, if you want to check it out.

http://www.operationsports.com/review.php?id=552

23. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Dakota,
    That's the first I've heard of it.
    I'd say we wait to see what the feature involves, and we go from there.

24. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I know I'm jumping on this late, but in NCAA 10 the computer prestige did drop in OD from season to season as they got beat up by Users. I was in a 4 star program dynasty as Oklahoma State and 2 other users were in the Big 12 as Kansas and Kansas State. After a couple of years of us beating up on Texas they dropped from a 6 star program to a 4 star program. As a Texas guy I was then able to make a coaching change from Ok State which I had built up to a 6 star to Texas as a 4 star.

I'm sure it will work the same way in '11. If a 6 star gets beat up enough by users they will drop.