Hawk Attack!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Sixthdis108, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

Hawk Attack!

Iowa Hawkeyes make big coaching move.

Iowa names new offensive coordinator, Coach Sixthdis

After a disappointing 5-3 start for the Hawkeyes, coach Ferentz looked to change in the regime. He decided a new offense was to be put in place. Coach Sixthdis said he was "excited about the opportunity and likes the prospects of what he can do with this young team"

The young team he speaks about on offensive is Juniors Johnson-Koulianos and Ricky Stanzi in the passing attack, and the sophomore running back Jewel Hampton, who is currently injured.

Iowa begins its regime under coach Sixthdis in Iowa against Indiana.

2. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

Iowa looks sloppy late but puts it together in the nick of time

Iowa 36 Indiana 33

Iowa came out on fire two interceptions, from the DEs Ballard and Clayborn, and an passing clinic from Ricky Stanzi gave the Hawkeyes a early 21-7 lead. However the screen pass that failed twice and went to Iowa DE's was successful near the end of the quarter and gave Indiana a TD 21-14 and an interception had them finding the endzone again making it 21-21 Iowa was able to manage a FG, however they missed it, before the half and 21-21 is where it stood.

The second half Indiana brought much pressure and Iowa could not establish any sort of running game. With this combined with timely offense at two minutes left in the game Iowa was trailing for the first time all game 33-28. The gameplan for the two minute drill had been known it was just a matter of execution which Iowa managed to do well in all aspects they were down the field and with 2 time outs and 30 seconds had 1st and goal. However, the time was dwindling and two runs and 1 time out left Iowa with 13 seconds and 3rd and goal. This time Riesner the freshman RB powered his way right through getting the score for the 34-33 lead. The 2 pt. conversion was good and Indiana was unable to muster anything in the final 9 seconds. Iowa held on for the win.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Nice. I think you're the first Iowa coach we've had since we started. I always liked the Hawkeyes, when they're not playing my Buckeyes, that is.

4. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

I am the same way I want Iowa to go 11-1 every year and lose to the Bucks.

5. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

Northwestern cooled by Hawkeyes Defense in the second half

Iowa 34 #23 Northwestern 20

With a fumble recovery and a pretty drive Northwestern was in the looking good as they had all year long with a 14-7 lead after trading FG's Iowa was down 17-10. However, a Johnson Kouilianos kick return and a turnover for great field position that Ricky Stanzi scrambled for the score on was enough to pull momentum back to the Hawkeyes and go into the locker room with a 24-17 lead.

Iowa's defense came out in the second half ready to go and held Northwestern to a FG in the second half. While the offense continued to struggle with it's run game. the still managed 10 points and held on to win 34-20.

Offensive Coordinator Sixthdis108 said "We are really missing Jewel Hampton out there. Stanzi is doing well but it is hard to play when they know they can stop the run so easily. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for those Buckeyes though. We are looking to do what we did to Penn State last year."

6. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

Defense Optional Serves Minnesota Best

Minnesota 62, Iowa 56

A very frustrating game where the run game could not get going for Iowa forcing Ricky Stanzi to throuw 50+ times and 6 INT's He made so many poor decisions but still had 400 + yards and 5 TDs the blame is to be shown to the defense who allowed big play after another letting the Gophers hang around early and then letting them take the lead late. All in All it was a disappointing game for the Hawkeyes who also lost #1 reciever and returner Johnson Koulianos on a TD pass that was called back he tore his MCL. He will be unable to play in the Hawkeye bowl game. The Hawkeyes are still in pure shock of the season ending so abruptly.